Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Your favorite healthy muffin recipe w/ ordinary ingredients

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 10:08 am
I want to make muffins for Shabbos (kids consider them cupcakes - they need to be tasty enough to pass)
I try to make them healthy - using whole wheat flour, applesauce instead of oil and to add sweetness and then less sweetener but using honey and/or chopped dates for the rest of the sweetness, etc.
It has been a loooong time and I can't remember what's been good in the past.

I have a good healthy chocolate muffin recipe (from overtimecook.com,, in case you want it!) but it needs chocolate chips and I don't have those anymore. I don't think they would be as good without the chips.
Other recipes of interest that I have tried need something special like blueberries, which I don't have.
In fact I don't really have much of anything that's interesting or special and I'm not going shopping today so I'm looking for something more plain but good. Plain white or plain chocolate both fine. Not carrot flavored because I do have carrots but we did carrot cake 2 weeks ago and had leftovers last week so time for something different.

I am sensitive to sugar so low-sugar is more important to me than low-fat - only honey/dates/applesauce and no actual sugar is a requirement. Also whole wheat, must taste good with ONLY whole wheat flour used. Oats also fine.

goodmorning

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 10:10 am
Do you have bananas in the house? If you use very ripe bananas, you can get away with almost no sugar (which you can sub with healthier substitute, etc.).

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 10:16 am
No bananas and I also forgot to mention no nuts. Peanuts are fine and we do own peanut butter, but we are a nut-free home and also have a banana sensitivity. Those are just about the only limitations though, besides sticking with what I have in stock.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 10:39 am
throw a little bit of the ingredients you do have - you'll do fine

I don't measure & I throw in things like cornmeal, whole wheat flour, flax seed, wheat germ, oats ... bananas, applesauce, chocolate chips, chopped apples, honey - anything goes so long as you add extra baking powder to help it rise [natural can get heavy]

as a matter of fact I'm off to throw a little bit of this & that together as well ~ thanx for the thought

you can also use coconut oil in place of other oils

Last edited by greenfire on Fri, Jan 16 2015, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 10:41 am
I need a recipe to start with or I will end up with either bricks or scrambled eggs... but thanks. lol.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 10:46 am
What about apple muffins?

http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....fins/

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 11:17 am
try this as a base

http://www.tastebook.com/recip.....bread

add the healthier/sweeter things

then balance with some extra liquids/eggs/almond milk - what have yous

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 11:19 am
do you have 2 zucchinis?

I have a lowfat recipe for zucchini muffins.

Do you xylitol?

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 11:38 am
Yes zucchini, no xylitol, and I'm thinking of this now which I'd forgotten about but still interested in hearing about the zucchini http://overtimecook.com/2013/1.....fins/ (I remember them being pretty good but maybe not so cake-like for the kids' "cupcakes." Hard to remember, I think I tried them once a long time ago)

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 11:43 am
well here's my recipe:

( I added a few chocolate chips to get my kids excited)

2 extra large eggs
1/2 cup xylitol (or sugar or brown sugar)
¼ cup oil
1 ½ cups applesauce
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. baking soda
2 medium zucchinis, skin on & shredded (drain extra liquid if there is any)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl on medium speed, mix the eggs, sugar, oil, and applesauce together. Switch to a paddle attachment and let the mixer run on low for a few minutes. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixer and combine them well. Add the shredded zucchini to the batter and mix for another minute till the zucchini is fully combined.

Spray your muffin tins well with non-stick spray and fill them with the zucchini batter until the top. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Best served warm.

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 11:46 am
Thank you! About how many does this make? Trying to figure out if I can halve it safely and still have enough.

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 11:49 am
I think about 18.

gmgv

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 12:36 pm
http://brendid.com/healthy-oat.....-oil/
These are super healthy and taste decent especially if u add chocolate chips

redstrawberry

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 7:22 pm
seeker wrote:
I want to make muffins for Shabbos (kids consider them cupcakes - they need to be tasty enough to pass)
I try to make them healthy - using whole wheat flour, applesauce instead of oil and to add sweetness and then less sweetener but using honey and/or chopped dates for the rest of the sweetness, etc.
It has been a loooong time and I can't remember what's been good in the past.

I have a good healthy chocolate muffin recipe (from overtimecook.com,, in case you want it!) but it needs chocolate chips and I don't have those anymore. I don't think they would be as good without the chips.
Other recipes of interest that I have tried need something special like blueberries, which I don't have.
In fact I don't really have much of anything that's interesting or special and I'm not going shopping today so I'm looking for something more plain but good. Plain white or plain chocolate both fine. Not carrot flavored because I do have carrots but we did carrot cake 2 weeks ago and had leftovers last week so time for something different.

I am sensitive to sugar so low-sugar is more important to me than low-fat - only honey/dates/applesauce and no actual sugar is a requirement. Also whole wheat, must taste good with ONLY whole wheat flour used. Oats also fine.

Would you mind sharing the recipe of the chocolate muffins.

Thank you

cuterpatooter

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 9:42 pm
Best EVER Muffin Recipe:

2 c ww flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 c whole sugar (I buy at wal mart) or honey or maple syrup or apple concentrate or...
2 eggs
1/2 c oil
1 c pareve milk

mix sugar plus wet and add to dry. bake at 450 than take it down to 350 after a couple min. Or 350 all the way (the 450 thing makes a 'crust' on outside).

I add everything and anything to the wets; pureed carrots, bananna, zucchini, apple, pumpkin, lemon juice, prune juice (suprisingly good) etc or to the dry; poppy seeds, nuts, raisins, oats, flax seeds, etc...

I've also baked it as a cake with great results

DH and I eat this LITERALLY every day. I only ever get compliments when I give them away.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:51 pm
I make these once a week. My picky DH eats 2 for breakfast, one for snack and sometimes as a late night snack - with all that he doesn’t realize they are whole wheat!
I eat two for breakfast with a banana and a slice of cheese ( for protein) or coffee with milk. It’s a great quick and (mostly) healthy way for a working mama to start her day!

I actually mix these by hand ( ie a fork !) in a bowl so no taking out a mixer if your lazy like me.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins:

2/3 C oil
3 eggs
1 2/3 applesauce
1 2/3 c brown sugar
3 c ww flour
1 c oats
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
Pinch salt ( I skip this)
2 1/2 t cinnamon
2 1/2 t vanilla sugar
Chocolate chips half bag

Mix in order. Pour into 25-28 cupcake holders

Mix:
1/2 c oats
1/2 t cinnamon

Sprinkle on top of cupcakes

Bake 350’ 20-30 minutes.

DO NOT OVERBAKE!

ETA: I wish I knew how to post a pic because they come out really pretty.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:00 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I make these once a week. My picky DH eats 2 for breakfast, one for snack and sometimes as a late night snack - with all that he doesn’t realize they are whole wheat!
I eat two for breakfast with a banana and a slice of cheese ( for protein) or coffee with milk. It’s a great quick and (mostly) healthy way for a working mama to start her day!

I actually mix these by hand ( ie a fork !) in a bowl so no taking out a mixer if your lazy like me.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins:

2/3 C oil
3 eggs
1 2/3 applesauce
1 2/3 c brown sugar
3 c ww flour
1 c oats
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
Pinch salt ( I skip this)
2 1/2 t cinnamon
2 1/2 t vanilla sugar
Chocolate chips half bag

Mix in order. Pour into 25-28 cupcake holders

Mix:
1/2 c oats
1/2 t cinnamon

Sprinkle on top of cupcakes

Bake 350’ 20-30 minutes.

DO NOT OVERBAKE!

ETA: I wish I knew how to post a pic because they come out really pretty.

These sound delicious and I might try them. However, if you are looking for something filling while trying to loose weight (like I am), unless you make these mini size they are probably high in calories with all the flour, sugar, oil. I wish I knew how many weight watchers points these are. If anyone can figure that out please let me know.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:02 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
These sound delicious and I might try them. However, if you are looking for something filling while trying to loose weight (like I am), unless you make these mini size they are probably high in calories with all the flour, sugar, oil. I wish I knew how many weight watchers points these are. If anyone can figure that out please let me know.

So true. And that is why I wrote MOSTLY healthy. Maybe they can be your treat or cheat?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins