Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Emailing Peeves: What are yours?
1  2  3  Next

InnerMe

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 8:31 am
So two super annoying things that I see on a daily basis:

1. People do not use the "reply to all"!!! Obviously, I copied the other people for a reason. Once in a while, it's fine if it's deliberate for whatever reason.. But what I encounter seems to be just a mindless thing.. like people don't think to use "reply to all." It get's so frustrating... when I need to forward people the emails.. because they need to be in the loop about that subject. Can someone explain this to me???
Note, I'm talking about in a professional setting, not personal, in which I do not have any email etiquette expectations.

2. When sending to certain people, and copying one or several contacts on the email, I will invariably get a response from one of the ccd ones: "Ask Rose about this" or something to that effect. Hellooo! I sent it to Rose! You were just COPIED so you can SEE what's going on. Anyone have that? Again in a professional setting, with people who use email all day.

These are mine... what are yours?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 8:36 am
Never experienced such things.
My only peeve is people not using full words and sentences. Like: c u later. Like they're texting. And I don't even like that in text messages.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 8:41 am
Linkedin invitations.

observer

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 8:46 am
The second thing I don't see. I guess people here usually look at the recipients.

But the first one, my peeve is the reverse of what you said! People using reply all when they should be using reply!

For example, supervisor sends out a group email with a survey for all to fill out and email back to her. You should be sending it just to her, not to everyone! I don't need to be receiving everyone's responses.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 8:47 am
What grinds my gears is when I require information from someone and they send it to me piecemeal. Just gather all your docs/info in one message so I don't have to sift through a million messages to assist you.

Also, when a bunch of ppl or teams are sending me a certain kind of doc and some of them don't label it properly. Like for instance, if 50 ppl are sending me a file called "review", I'm obviously going to have to re-label it when I drag it into a folder. If we requested this of everyone, you should know that you're not the only person sending it. Grrrr.

Or they send what you requested with 50 pages of extraneous and irrelevant documents attached so now I need to spending ten minutes sifting through and hacking apart your file. Grrrrr.

Sorry. You caught me at a frustrated, highly caffeinated moment. Smile

tryinghard

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:07 am
WhatFor wrote:
What grinds my gears is when I require information from someone and they send it to me piecemeal. Just gather all your docs/info in one message so I don't have to sift through a million messages to assist you.

Most of the time you are right, but sometimes I have technical reasons for sending things piecemeal (size of attachment, or it freakin' wont cooperate!)

InnerMe

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:32 am
observer wrote:
The second thing I don't see. I guess people here usually look at the recipients.

But the first one, my peeve is the reverse of what you said! People using reply all when they should be using reply!

For example, supervisor sends out a group email with a survey for all to fill out and email back to her. You should be sending it just to her, not to everyone! I don't need to be receiving everyone's responses.

Ye, that's super annoying. But it doesn't happen to me really. I guess in my place people think three times before using reply all (or not at all) whereas by you it's the opposite- mindless use of reply all.

Last edited by InnerMe on Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

InnerMe

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:36 am
Another one: Don't just forward emails. Just like you don't just transfer calls. Please check with me if this is my domain in the body of your email. I hate when there's a whole round of forwarding until it get to the right person. And then you need to scroll all the way to the bottom to actually find the email's content.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:43 am
Definitely someone responding without using reply all!
And receiving a blank email that I need to scroll down to figure out the content and what the sender wants from me. A simple please see below and advise, or see my answers below, would be so helpful!

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:43 am
Edited becuse I thought this was pet peeves in general, not email

essie14

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:30 am
People who forget to CC someone, but reference him/her in the reply.
"Joe is the correct contact for issue XYZ"
Well, you didn't give me any contact info for him!!

Calling in response to an e mail. There's a reason I want this conversation in writing. The response I need is simple, just reply and let's finish this.

The separate e mails with separate attachments is also huge. Get your stuff together and send it to me in an organized fashion.

People who don't read the full e mail and only respond to the first line. Then I have to keep replying and copying the rest of the questions and getting the answers in pieces.

cinnamon

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:32 am
InnerMe wrote:
Another one: Don't just forward emails. Just like you don't just transfer calls. Please check with me if this is my domain in the body of your email. I hate when there's a whole round of forwarding until it get to the right person. And then you need to scroll all the way to the bottom to actually find the email's content.

Funny. I dislike when people do the opposite. If I asked for something and you think Jack could help just forward the email to Jack.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:07 pm
1. if you are in charge of something then I expect a response about it in a timely fashion. It should not take a week with me having to e-mail you again before I get a response each time I e-mail you with a question.
2. if you can't respond in a timely fashion on a regular basis because you are too busy find someone else who can.
3. if I ask three pointed questions don't just not answer one of them especially if this is the 2nd e-mail I am asking for this specific fact.

CatLady

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:16 pm
My pet peeves:
Using Reply To All inappropriately;
Obsessionally phoning to ask if I received their e-mail two minutes after I sent it;
Ignoring the bcc function, which saves me from reading an endless list of people who received the same e-mail. NB: This type of e-mail is usually neither interesting or relevant;
Using Reply To All with History to create a chain of e-mails that grows like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man;
Forgetting to forward attachments that should be forwarded.

Venting makes me feel better!!

fraimal

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:31 pm
PEOPLE WHO WRITE EMAILS IN ALL CAPS! ITS MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE!

InnerMe

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:35 pm
cinnamon wrote:
Funny. I dislike when people do the opposite. If I asked for something and you think Jack could help just forward the email to Jack.

What if Jack can't help you and thinks.. hmm I'll just forward to.. James. And then repeat.
I'm saying: just because it's not your responsibility, don't just forward, check that it's the right person. Otherwise the client/customer etc. is left being dragged from one person to the next without getting anywhere, similar to being transferred from phone to phone and being told "whoops, sorry. I can't help you. Let me transfer you to someone who could." and then repeat by the next person.

I should start a "company phone peeves"; mainly why are companies putting me on hold/or transferring me endlessly?? It's truly interesting your ads, or lively music, or radio or whatever sounds you have to keep me occupied.. but, I called you for a reason!!!!

Last edited by InnerMe on Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Green

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:35 pm
WhatFor wrote:

I just did this. embarrassed I needed to email pictures to an insurance company and it didn't let me load more than 4 pictures because otherwise it exceeded the 25MB allowance for messages. Not only that, but I needed to delete the message from my inbox in order for it to allow me to send the next message with another 4 pictures. I sent three emails, 12 pictures, in total.

crust

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:39 pm
Taking my email address without my permission to put me on a group list.

Lizzie4

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:48 pm
* People who don't respond to business emails directed at them - Please respond within 3 - 24 hours, not more!

Boca00

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:55 pm
InnerMe wrote:
What if Jack can't help you and thinks.. hmm I'll just forward to.. James. And then repeat.
I'm saying: just because it's not your responsibility, don't just forward, check that it's the right person. Otherwise the client/customer etc. is left being dragged from one person to the next without getting anywhere, similar to being transferred from phone to phone and being told "whoops, sorry. I can't help you. Let me transfer you to someone who could." and then repeat by the next person.

I should start a "company phone peeves"; mainly why are companies putting me on hold/or transferring me endlessly?? It's truly interesting your ads, or lively music, or radio or whatever sounds you have to keep me occupied.. but, I called you for a reason!!!!

This. Except it's not all that interesting being on hold. Maybe static-y classical music is an acquired taste, idk.

I vote for more interesting hold music or at the very least, comedy sketches.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette