Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
People with significant disability getting married
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:54 pm
I'm going to be terribly not PC here, but IMHO people who could pass a condition on to their children should never be allowed to have children.

If they want to get married, that's one thing, but I draw the line at creating more disabled children if it can be at all prevented.

That goes for Aspergers and HFA, too.

We test for Tay-Sachs, right? Why is this any different?

mommyla

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
I'm going to be terribly not PC here, but IMHO people who could pass a condition on to their children should never be allowed to have children.

If they want to get married, that's one thing, but I draw the line at creating more disabled children if it can be at all prevented.

Whoa whoa whoa.

First of all, Tay-Sachs is a horrible, fatal disease with no chance of recovery. People with HFA can and do live full, happy lives.

Second of all, not everyone with HFA passes it on. And HFA can and is found without any family history.

Third of all, do you have any idea how much the world has benefited from the ideas and inventions of people with HFA?

Fourth, thanks for telling everyone on this board who have children with HFA, or who have HFA themselves (and I don't fall into either of those categories, b"H), that it would be better if they weren't alive?

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:

This is the first post on this thread that I read. I didnt read the whole thread yetbut whoa!! Where does it end? How about deaf? Learning diabled? Adhd? BRCA? Brown eyes? Fat gene? Tall gene? Nice nails?

If a person cannot take care of a child then there is reasonable concern for the child. And there are issues (that sonetimes can be worked out) with marrying them off.
But functioning people with some sort on disorder/disability/different brain fuction?

bigsis144

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:

Okay, where do you draw the line?

"Diabetics who could pass a condition on to their children should never be allowed to have children."

"Depressed people should never be allowed to have children."

"Obesity is hereditary; fat people should never be allowed to have children."

When does it become eugenics?

Let decisions about having children be based on the individual PEOPLE involved, not just the name of the condition.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Mon, Dec 04 2017, 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 2:12 pm
mommyla wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa.

First of all, Tay-Sachs is a horrible, fatal disease with no chance of recovery. People with HFA can and do live full, happy lives.

Second of all, not everyone with HFA passes it on. And HFA can and is found without any family history.

Third of all, do you have any idea how much the world has benefited from the ideas and inventions of people with HFA?

Fourth, thanks for telling everyone on this board who have children with HFA, or who have HFA themselves (and I don't fall into either of those categories, b"H), that it would be better if they weren't alive?

I see we crossposted.
I agree. I was too worked up and left out the part about tay-sachs

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

Tay-Sachs is an invariably fatal disease, and there is a high risk that 2 carriers will have a child with the disease.

People who are not neuro-typical, and particularly those who are on the "milder" side of the spectrum, OTOH, generally lead happy lives. They have friends and fall in love, and they can be great parents.

We're not talking about people who cannot care for themselves because of severe intellectual limitations, and who would therefore be unable to care for their kids. We're talking entirely functional people, whom you think should be forbidden to have kids ... for what? In favor of a master race?

Where are you going to end this? My husband has Crohn's Disease. Maybe my kids should never be allowed to marry, lest they pass that on. What about kids with dyslexia? Or other learning differences? What about their siblings? Maybe they carry recessive genes for these anomalies.

Gosh, I hope you're perfect. Because otherwise, maybe you should look into getting your tubes tied.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
.... I draw the line at creating more disabled children if it can be at all prevented.

?

Thank you to whoever reported this post. I and my husband probably have hfa. Two of our kids are diagnosed with it. You want to come round and sterilize us all? Or shoot us or something?

*** you*** draw the line? Who on earth do you think you are?

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:34 pm
Azure I've been thinking about your post these last couple of days.

Thank you for posting. Sometimes if I see something written out in black and white it helps me see exactly what is wrong with it.

Hashem made everyone, including people with "disabilities" exactly how they are meant to be. And it is the ultimate arrogance to.suggest otherwise.

And I'm.starting a spin-off.

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:44 pm
There are no healthy people, just unexplored ones Wink
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics