Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would you volunteer to visit prisoners?
Previous  1  2  3  4

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 10:07 am
Squishy wrote:
Would you visit a Jew who was imprisoned unfairly?

Or a Jew who was given a disproportionate sentence because he was Jewish?

What about Rubashkin who was a victim of an over zealous witch hunt?

What of a Jew that is guilty but is truly remorseful?

If the person committed a violent act, esp something extreme like murder or rape, I would be unlikely to visit, even if he were Jewish, and even if he were remorseful.

Obviously, if he were totally innocent or framed or convicted just to make a political point (example: a soldier imprisoned for murder because he killed a terrorist), that would be a possible exception.

Not sure about Rubashkin... I am not up on all the details of that case.

Beingreal

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 10:13 am
when my father was in prison, the biggest support was my family and friends. I didnt need to feel ashamed because my father didnt do anything wrong. the judge said so herself. she just wanted to set an example. yes it was hard. he missed the brissim of my 2 boys.

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 10:35 am
We have a "prison Rabbi" in Monsey. Officially he is a chaplain in the prisons and jails , but he is so much more outside. He lets the prisoners know the community cares about the out of luck Jews. This is important to avoid recidivism and to helps the Jews keep the mitzvahs.

When I visit the prison, I no longer ask are they worthy of my time. It is not for me to judge. That's for Hashem.

I play cards and schmooze. I see sights that shocked me the first time. And then you move on. Everyone is really nice.

cnc

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 10:47 am
My father has visited people in prison. All white collar crimes though. They were very appreciative.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette