Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teacher taking away recess
1  2  3  4  Next

ceebee

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 10:59 am
What are your thoughts on students losing all or part of recess for misbehavior? This type of discipline really bothers me as kids today dont nearly move around as much as they need to. Jewish schools have less recess and gym time than public schools because of the double curriculum. Not sure what the teacher thinks more sitting will do to a child who already is restless from the lack of moving around.

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 11:03 am
ceebee wrote:
What are your thoughts on students losing all or part of recess for misbehavior? This type of discipline really bothers me as kids today dont nearly move around as much as they need to. Jewish schools have less recess and gym time than public schools because of the double curriculum. Not sure what the teacher thinks more sitting will do to a child who already is restless from the lack of moving around.

Jewish schools have way more recess than mandated by NYS.

I agree kids don't move around enough, but taking away even one minute of recess is effective.

mommish613

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 11:04 am
I think it can be better than alternative methods of discipline. Most methods of discipline are not ideal- what would you think be more appropriate? It also depends what exactly the child did...

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 11:06 am
It's counterintuitive. A cheap easy way out that doesn't help. A teacher needs to be creative due to their limited options.
In my understanding, mechanchim and chinuch experts advise against this.
What is really painful is when this is used on a child with ADHD. The recess itself helps with the behavior. In fact, every kid needs to relax their brain and move their limbs.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 11:13 am
I'm anti. very.

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 11:14 am
Iymnok wrote:
It's counterintuitive. A cheap easy way out that doesn't help. A teacher needs to be creative due to their limited options.
In my understanding, mechanchim and chinuch experts advise against this.
What is really painful is when this is used on a child with ADHD. The recess itself helps with the behavior. In fact, every kid needs to relax their brain and move their limbs.

Yes, but teachers need some consequence. Even 1 minute is effective. And the threat of the loss of that one minute is effective.

What do you suggest as an alternative in an overcrowded classroom?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 11:16 am
I used to act up when I needed a change of scenery and needed to move and run. If they had made me sit I would’ve burned with fury and resentment and would’ve felt that the teacher doesn’t understand me and is being cruel.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 11:20 am
Squishy wrote:
Jewish schools have way more recess than mandated by NYS.

I agree kids don't move around enough, but taking away even one minute of recess is effective.

HA! Are you kidding?? Ive been in schools over my career as a teacher in both frum and non-jewish schools and I will say w/o a doubt that frum schools have WAY MORE sitting and structured time than other schools. NYS mandates gym daily up to 4th grade and after that, 3 times a week. Some frum schools have no gym class. And dont forget the specials like art and music which are also more unstructured than class time. Not many frum schools offer these type of subjects which really help students unwind and have a non academic outlet.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 11:54 am
I had 2 hours of sport in public school, at the end of a day when no one cared anymore.
My dd loved the sport in her BY and they even had a dance show for moms.

weasley

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:01 pm
Firstly IMO it defeats the purpose. Theres more chance I would act out if ive not being given the chance to let my energy out and to have to sit for long periods of time. Making that sitting time longer and decreasing the active time is just going to cause me to act out more.
Also to above posters who are saying theres no other that work. Umm no. it's such a bad idea to give a consequence knowing it's not an ideal consequence but just bc there's no better consequence.

...but maybe I'm biased bc I'm not a sitting type and school really wasn't my thing.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:05 pm
I think taking away recess as a knee jerk punishment is a bad idea. But keeping a kid in for 5 min to finish the work they didnt do because they were fooling around or to do homework is not bad imho as long as its no more than 1/3 of the total recess. (10min out of 30 min recess.)

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
HA! Are you kidding?? Ive been in schools over my career as a teacher in both frum and non-jewish schools and I will say w/o a doubt that frum schools have WAY MORE sitting and structured time than other schools. NYS mandates gym daily up to 4th grade and after that, 3 times a week. Some frum schools have no gym class. And dont forget the specials like art and music which are also more unstructured than class time. Not many frum schools offer these type of subjects which really help students unwind and have a non academic outlet.

I specifically said recess which is what this thread is about. Frum schools have way more recess than mandated. I stand by that.

They are missing other mandated areas, but they are really good with recess. LOL

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:14 pm
Squishy wrote:
I specifically said recess which is what this thread is about. Frum schools have way more recess than mandated. I stand by that.

They are missing other mandated areas, but they are really good with recess. LOL

Is it more recess in proportion to public schools when they have much longer days than public schools??
And how many minutes are you referring to? the school I currently work in has 2 recess breaks with 15 minutes each totaling 30 minutes a day.

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
Is it more recess in proportion to public schools when they have much longer days than public schools??
And how many minutes are you referring to? the school I currently work in has 2 recess breaks with 15 minutes each totaling 30 minutes a day.

If I remember correctly, NYS mandates 6 recesses a week. The school I was comparing the regs to had 4 official recesses a day. Even though the day is long, it is well paced. The boys are not learning non-stop.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:27 pm
Dont take away recess from a child. Period.
be creative, remember why (supposedly but probably unlikely) you went into teaching in the first place.
give the child a hug, or a cupcake (surprise!!!)
do something unusual. make the child WANT to please you
or better yet, figure out what the REAL issue is.
maybe they need more recognition, maybe abba and ima are fighting,
maybe they had no time to eat breakfast. or went to bed at 10 pm because they live in a tiny noisy apartment... the list goes on.
they need recess.
fresh air.
sunshine.
snacks.
water.
not a dopey mean "mechaneches".

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
Dont take away recess from a child. Period.
be creative, remember why (supposedly but probably unlikely) you went into teaching in the first place.
give the child a hug, or a cupcake (surprise!!!)
do something unusual. make the child WANT to please you
or better yet, figure out what the REAL issue is.
maybe they need more recognition, maybe abba and ima are fighting,
maybe they had no time to eat breakfast. or went to bed at 10 pm because they live in a tiny noisy apartment... the list goes on.
they need recess.
fresh air.
sunshine.
snacks.
water.
not a dopey mean "mechaneches".

You can't hug children in this day and age. A cupcake to the bad child instead of consequences? You will soon have a satiated out of control class.

Classes need structure and discipline. Losing max 5 minutes recess doesn't deny a child fresh air and sunshine.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 1:00 pm
You are right of course Squishy,
my overreaction is born of intense animosity related to 'educators' and the 'education system' which largely warehouses children for years and years so their parents can work.
take away 2-5 minutes.
no hugs (lest you get sued)
no cupcakes (lest you get fat)
did I get it right now? : )

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
You are right of course Squishy,
my overreaction is born of intense animosity related to 'educators' and the 'education system' which largely warehouses children for years and years so their parents can work.
take away 2-5 minutes.
no hugs (lest you get sued)
no cupcakes (lest you get fat)
did I get it right now? : )

If they gave the teachers very small classes, then it is easier to address one miscreant. But unless you have a quick way to obtain structure, all those other children miss out on their learning and start misbehaving. The threat of losing a minute of recess is effective.

Don't forget they also eliminated potching. BH

Not giving cupcakes has nothing to do with kids getting fat. It is rewarding misbehavior.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 1:13 pm
Yes I get the no rewarding bad behavior thing, I was just kidding.
but the word miscreant is strong. use with caution re. little kids. : )
have a happy day.

mis·cre·ant
ˈmiskrēənt/Submit
noun
a person who behaves badly or in a way that breaks the law.
synonyms: criminal, culprit, wrongdoer, malefactor, offender, villain, lawbreaker, evildoer, delinquent, hoodlum, reprobate; malfeasant
"the South Street playground has been taken over by a pack of drug-dealing miscreants"
adjective
(of a person) behaving badly or in a way that breaks a law or rule.
"her miscreant husband"

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
Yes I get the no rewarding bad behavior thing, I was just kidding.
but the word miscreant is strong. use with caution re. little kids. : )
have a happy day.

mis·cre·ant
ˈmiskrēənt/Submit
noun
a person who behaves badly or in a way that breaks the law.
synonyms: criminal, culprit, wrongdoer, malefactor, offender, villain, lawbreaker, evildoer, delinquent, hoodlum, reprobate; malfeasant
"the South Street playground has been taken over by a pack of drug-dealing miscreants"
adjective
(of a person) behaving badly or in a way that breaks a law or rule.
"her miscreant husband"

Miscreant was tongue in cheek said affectionately. Remember I am advocating losing 1 minute of recess max 5 minutes. Sorry if it came through wrong.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics