Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Dieting, and gaining the weight back. I don't get something.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 7:54 am
I often hear when people are critical of a particular diet, that with a certain diet you "often gain the weight back". I see a big debate on FB and several diets are being criticized because the dieters seemingly gain the weight back when off the diet. I asked this question there and didn't get a good response so I'll try it here. Can someone please tell me which diet I can go on, where I can stay on the diet for a few months, lose meaningful weight, get off the diet and go back to my original eating habits including carbs, sugar, nosh, and shabbos food, and the weight will still stay off? I think the woman reading this have tried dozens of diets. Almost all of us have gained the weight back. Why does that mean the diet wasn't effective? Obviously to maintain the weight loss it's necessary to continue to eat carefully for.....forever. If someone is above age 30, if at any point after a diet, resort back to unhealthy eating, they will gain the weight back regardless of which diet/weight loss program/nutritionist was used to lose the weight. What am I not getting here???

etky

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 8:12 am
A good, effective diet will have a maintenance plan that you can realistically stick to and live by, as you said - 'forever', since indeed anyone who goes back to their original style of eating will gain the weight back regardless of which diet helped them lose it.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 9:31 am
etky wrote:
A good, effective diet will have a maintenance plan that you can realistically stick to and live by, as you said - 'forever', since indeed anyone who goes back to their original style of eating will gain the weight back regardless of which diet helped them lose it.

Weight Watcher has a maintenance program but I am not sure how many people are still going years later and then the bad habits creep back, as well as metabolism that slows as people age. As we age, we require less food but don't always eat less food!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 9:37 am
southernbubby wrote:
Weight Watcher has a maintenance program but I am not sure how many people are still going years later and then the bad habits creep back, as well as metabolism that slows as people age. As we age, we require less food but don't always eat less food!

True but what diet doesn't have a maintenance program? What diet states that after a certain amount of time we can go back to cholent and kugel? None! So why do people knock diets by saying that the weight was gained back? The bottom line is that after any diet, a real legitimate effort to keep the weight off should work. On the flip side, any diet that is followed by no effort is doomed to fail.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 9:44 am
Many times maintaining is harder than losing. The best way not to gain back what you lost is counting calories. You can have cake and cholent but as long as you don't exceed like 1,200 calories a day then you won't gain it all back.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 9:48 am
amother wrote:
True but what diet doesn't have a maintenance program? What diet states that after a certain amount of time we can go back to cholent and kugel? None! So why do people knock diets by saying that the weight was gained back? The bottom line is that after any diet, a real legitimate effort to keep the weight off should work. On the flip side, any diet that is followed by no effort is doomed to fail.

Because we like to blame something other than our own lack of willpower on why we gain weight.

etky

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 10:02 am
southernbubby wrote:

B"H, I'm still going 14 years later - exactly because WW's maintenance is 'doable' for me.
It's basically counting calories, in the guise of points, so I eat what I want within my calorie budget as Flowerpower said.
Everyone has to find something that is doable for them. I know that for me any diet that restricted my options or nearly forbade entire food groups would not work in the long run.
I need flexibility. Someone else might need a more structure or rigid maintenance program.
About age - yes I've noticed in the past year that I've put on some weight even though I've been 'good' about sticking to my points budget. I know I have to eat somewhat less to maintain now but at this point I don't think I'm willing to do that. I think I'm going to have to come to terms with being a bit heavier that I would like to be. I'm not going to make myself crazy at this point in life over a few kilos.
I suppose I could try to change up my exercise routine too but unfortunately I'm also more tired than I used to be and have less energy overall. Sad

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 10:30 am
etky wrote:
B"H, I'm still going 14 years later - exactly because WW's maintenance is 'doable' for me.
It's basically counting calories, in the guise of points, so I eat what I want within my calorie budget as Flowerpower said.
Everyone has to find something that is doable for them. I know that for me any diet that restricted my options or nearly forbade entire food groups would not work in the long run.
I need flexibility. Someone else might need a more structure or rigid maintenance program.
About age - yes I've noticed in the past year that I've put on some weight even though I've been 'good' about sticking to my points budget. I know I have to eat somewhat less to maintain now but at this point I don't think I'm willing to do that. I think I'm going to have to come to terms with being a bit heavier that I would like to be. I'm not going to make myself crazy at this point in life over a few kilos.
I suppose I could try to change up my exercise routine too but unfortunately I'm also more tired than I used to be and have less energy overall. Sad

I was on Weight Watchers twice but didn't go on maintenance. The first time, I was nursing my fourth child and losing on the diet, but then started having that same familiar morning nausea that was only relieved by eating toast, then I went to get weighed at Weight Watchers and was up a pound. I realized at that moment that I would have to leave Weight Watchers, as I didn't want to announce my gain each week and went home to make a prenatal appointment. It would have been great if Weight Watcher would have had a controlled gain for pregnancy but they didn't want to include pregnant women probably due to liability.

The next time that I went was after that baby and the next one, in fact it was years later, and I lost really great but didn't want to pay for maintenance so I lost and lost and lost until I was underweight and the doctor expressed concern and wanted me to gain some of it back. I am not really overweight now but would feel better and look better if I were 10 lbs thinner.

momof2+?

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:15 pm
OP, maybe the dieters were following an extreme diet and then after losing the weight went back to eating ‘regularly’ . However, they ate not what would be considered overboard, but in comparison to the diet they ate before it was too extreme and they gained. And we’re upset about it. For example, they dropped carbs and then went back to eating regular while counting calories as a maintenance.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:23 pm
Ideally someone who has a tendency to be overweight should be on a diet plan for the rest of their life. For most people this feels overwhelming so they decide to diet until a certain weight and then be "done"
Hence the yo yo dieting.
The best diet is the one you can stick to forever.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics