Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Lakewood offensive sign?
  Previous  1  2  3   12  13  14  Next

WhatFor

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 12:22 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It sounds very divisive to me. On the plus side, we could work for equality. I don't want people to think I'm being negative.

Please Excuse My Dull Answer, Sweetie, but I'll add that there are numerous cofactors at play that can compound the issue exponentially. No one has the perfect formula, if you know what I mean. In sum, I think the solution is undefined.

dovebird

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 12:22 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It sounds very divisive to me. On the plus side, we could work for equality. I don't want people to think I'm being negative.

Rolling Laughter

RebekahsMom

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 1:20 am
mommyla wrote:
I didn't say that politics have anything to do with anti-Semitism. Bluesky1 seems to think that this has something to do with politics and that BMG has the power to stop it.

BMG's policies are not causing the "don't multiply" hate, but due to the fact that the town has so many corrupt frum politicians who "do whatever the roshei yeshiva say" (a misconception, btw), people tend to hate the Jews as a group.

I really don't want to get into Lakewood politics and/or BMG's control here. I know too much firsthand due to my job and the jobs of those close to me, but let's just say it's not pretty.

In a nutshell, people are already mad about the bus situation, since the majority of town gets a bus to private school, which is “robbing the education of public school”.

Then, it’s that they “pay taxes while everyone in town gets welfare”. And you have a handful of thieves arrested for Medicaid fraud, and suddenly everyone is a criminal.

Next, it’s “they want to spread into our towns and destroy our housing and school systems”.

And of course, “everyone” votes in a bloc and follows the leaders. It’s all a conspiracy.

Great sense of community, world class education, horrible attitudes from a town away.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 6:21 am
How is hate speech ok??

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 9:30 am
This is so sad.

It brings me back to a conversation I had with one of my children's EI therapists a few years ago. This lovely non Jewish woman worked with my son in my home two days a week; we got to be good friends. She told me that she was transferring to another county because working in Lakewood was too depressing. She explained that she went into a 'helping' profession because she loved working with people; none of her client's moms were mean, but everyone was "so cold". She said that at times she had couples talking in front of her in Hebrew so that she couldnt understand them.

What does this say about us as a community? Of course, there is and has to be a barrier between ourselves and our non Jewish neighbors, but I also think we need to be more conscious about how our actions and behaviors are viewed by and effect the people around us.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 9:35 am
RebekahsMom wrote:
In a nutshell, people are already mad about the bus situation, since the majority of town gets a bus to private school, which is “robbing the education of public school”.

Then, it’s that they “pay taxes while everyone in town gets welfare”. And you have a handful of thieves arrested for Medicaid fraud, and suddenly everyone is a criminal.

Next, it’s “they want to spread into our towns and destroy our housing and school systems”.

And of course, “everyone” votes in a bloc and follows the leaders. It’s all a conspiracy.

Great sense of community, world class education, horrible attitudes from a town away.

You don't live in Lakewood, do you?

We pay taxes. Who do you think is supporting the public schools? And who do you think is paying payroll taxes? EVERYONE here is working. Even if the husband is in the kollel system, then the wife is working. And paying taxes. And paying property taxes. Which is beyond exorbitant.

Nobody here is on welfare.

Look, I understand if people want to live among their own kind. They don't want Jews coming in and breaking up the neighborhood. I would feel the same way, I do understand.

But that does not excuse ant-semitism.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 9:38 am
DVOM wrote:
This is so sad.

It brings me back to a conversation I had with one of my children's EI therapists a few years ago. This lovely non Jewish woman worked with my son in my home two days a week; we got to be good friends. She told me that she was transferring to another county because working in Lakewood was too depressing. She explained that she went into a 'helping' profession because she loved working with people; none of her client's moms were mean, but everyone was "so cold". She said that at times she had couples talking in front of her in Hebrew so that she couldnt understand them.

What does this say about us as a community? Of course, there is and has to be a barrier between ourselves and our non Jewish neighbors, but I also think we need to be more conscious about how our actions and behaviors are viewed by and effect the people around us.

Just to balance this out: I had non Jewish EI therapists who love to work in our community.

One therapist (if you PM me I'll give you her name), told me that she loves working in our community because the parents really want to help their children and want the best for their children.

Obviously, we should be nicer, but honestly, everyone has a different personality type. Some people may be more friendly than others, and some people may perceive things differently. That doesn't make all of us bad people.

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:02 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

We pay taxes. Who do you think is supporting the public schools? And who do you think is paying payroll taxes? EVERYONE here is working. Even if the husband is in the kollel system, then the wife is working. And paying taxes. And paying property taxes. Which is beyond exorbitant.

Look, I understand if people want to live among their own kind. They don't want Jews coming in and breaking up the neighborhood. I would feel the same way, I do understand.

I'm amazed buy this statement. Are you joking? I'm no expert (perhaps you are?) but to me it seems that a large majority of our community is on welfare. Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, section eight housing, that's all welfare.

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:04 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

I agree.

But the rest of your statement is wishful thinking.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:16 am
DVOM wrote:
I'm amazed buy this statement. Are you joking? I'm no expert (perhaps you are?) but to me it seems that a large majority of our community is on welfare. Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, section eight housing, that's all welfare.

What?? WIC is welfare?

Medicaid is welfare??? (The upper limits for JerseyCare is about $140,000 a year for a family of 8).

Even Section 8 - how is that welfare????

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:17 am
DVOM wrote:
I agree.

But the rest of your statement is wishful thinking.

Which part of my statement do you agree with and which part of it is wishful thinking?

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:22 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
What?? WIC is welfare?

Medicaid is welfare??? (The upper limits for JerseyCare is about $140,000 a year for a family of 8).

The definition of Welfare is government assistance for the needy. These programs are all welfare. What do you think Welfare is?

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:23 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Which part of my statement do you agree with and which part of it is wishful thinking?

I agree that there is no excuse for antisemetism.

Believing that no one in the orthodox community in Lakewood is on Welfare is wishful thinking.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:26 am
DVOM wrote:

The definition of Welfare is government assistance for the needy. These programs are all welfare. What do you think Welfare is?

Maybe I grew up a long time ago, but when I was growing up, Welfare meant that you get a monthly check from the government. That means that you are not working at all. I understood WIC and Jersey Care are for higher incomes, and Section 8 and food stamps to be helpful to the working poor, and categorized as government assistance, not welfare. These are all called supplementary programs. Maybe the definition has changed? (I don't think so).

I don't see any shame in getting assistance if needed, and neither does the government.

AND, we are all paying HUGE property taxes, whether directly or indirectly (you can look this up online, it's public), even the smaller homes in Lakewood. And even the poor pay sales tax and gasoline tax.

Last edited by Mommyg8 on Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:33 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Maybe I grew up a long time ago, but when I was growing up, Welfare meant that you get a monthly check from the government. That means that you are not working at all. I understood WIC and Section 8 to be helpful to the working poor, and categorized as government assistance, not welfare. These are all called supplementary programs. Maybe the definition has changed? (I don't think so).

I don't see any shame in getting assistance if needed, and neither does the government.

I think you're splitting hairs my friend. Google the definition of welfare.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:35 am
DVOM wrote:
I think you're splitting hairs my friend. Google the definition of welfare.

NO,, I am NOT splitting hairs. When you use the word welfare, it has certain connotations, which ARE NOT TRUE.

And WIC and Jersey Care are very definitely not even CLOSE to welfare, they are not meant for the poor at all.

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:39 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
NO,, I am NOT splitting hairs. When you use the word welfare, it has certain connotations, which ARE NOT TRUE.

And WIC and Jersey Care are very definitely not even CLOSE to welfare, they are not meant for the poor at all.

Oy.

Jersy Care is MEDICAID. Medicaid is welfare.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:42 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
What?? WIC is welfare?

do a quick google search. You'll see that "welfare" includes any economic or social programs that help alleviate financial burdens.
So yes, these are all types of welfare.

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:47 am
allthingsblue wrote:
do a quick google search. You'll see that "welfare" includes any economic or social programs that help alleviate financial burdens.
So yes, these are all types of welfare.

Thank you. When someone is insisting that the sky is green there are only so many times you can repeat: no, the sky is blue, before starting to wonder if you are actually the one who's crazy shock

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:48 am
DVOM wrote:
Thank you. When someone is insisting that the sky is green there are only so many times you can repeat: no, the sky is blue, before starting to wonder if you are actually the one who's crazy shock

Yes

The dictionary agrees with us, though.
Page 2 of 14   Previous  1  2  3   12  13  14  Next Recent Topics