Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
LA Fires

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:33 pm
Please daven that the fires in and around LA don't get worse. They are already affecting commutes. Yeshivas have closed down due to poor air quality and others have stopped having recess/gym outside....
So many people cannot get to work due to freeways being shut down. Sepulveda and the 405??? One of the major thoroughfares in the area and one of the busiest highways in the country!!
Our Eruv is down this week because they use the 405 as a wall... and that is on fire now so they obviously cannot check it!
Houses are burning down... luckily the fires aren't in the frum areas but we don't want them to spread!

I can't believe no one else commented on this yet.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:42 pm
It is very scary. This is affecting millions of people on a short term basis and even more in terms of long term damage, effects on wildlife, museums, housing etc. I feel so sad for everyone whose homes are being destroyed

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:56 pm
Trying to share a picture I took of this morning. That’s how close the fires are to where the frum community is. See the sky??

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 7:07 pm
I am nowhere near there but is there any possibility of the frum community evacuating/relocating while this is addressed, the way other communities hosted Miami before the recent hurricane? It sounds like a very volatile situation and I'm worried that the neighborhood could become endangered too quickly to do anything about it!

Miri7

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 9:41 pm
While the fires aren’t near the frum neighborhoods, they are in an area where there is the Skirball, a reform temple and school, and a conservative yeshiva/rabbinical school/university. These are important institutions for the Jewish community. BH the sifrei torah were evacuated early this morning to safety. But there are many many sifrei kodesh and other precious items in harm’s way.

When I saw the photos of the sifrei torah being loaded into a car, and of them later resting in a nearby shul, I wept.

I hope that no lives are lost and that these Jewish institutions are safe and that the fires are put out soon.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 11:49 pm
seeker wrote:
I am nowhere near there but is there any possibility of the frum community evacuating/relocating while this is addressed, the way other communities hosted Miami before the recent hurricane? It sounds like a very volatile situation and I'm worried that the neighborhood could become endangered too quickly to do anything about it!

Where are hundreds of thousands supposed to go? On a whim? The Jewish population of Miami is in no way comparable to Los Angeles. LA is the largest community outside of NY/NJ. Why not the entire Brooklyn just relocate before Sandy? Or irene? Where would you find enough willing hosts within any normal distance?
Plus there is no way to know which way the fires will move. And it isn’t considered a natural disaster the way a category 5 hurricane is- we still have jobs, schools etc (unless you live in the valley).
We are also not so close to it (Bel Air is affected but that isn’t too close to Pico or La Brea) but I did get one of those Amber Alert things on my cell tonight to stay off the road because of high winds.
I am nervous and in the morning when I have fresh eyes I will gather the few vital things: cash, jewelry, papers/birth certificates... it’s not like an earthquake where I will have to pack water... plumbing will work wherever we end up. If it even gets to that which is unlikely.
But it is still scary!!

etky

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 3:14 am
I have an Uncle and cousins in LA so I've been keeping track of the situation.
It is indeed very scary.
I hope the winds die down soon. What is the forecast for that?

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 3:46 am
It's terrible for people in the fire zone and others are peripherally involved because of increased commute times. If you have breathing difficulties, the air is bad.

However, the frum area is in no way actually threatened by fire so there would be no point in evacuating. If the fire ever spread beyond where these wildfires burn to the more urban areas, it would be the kind of conflagration that has never been seen in a modern city. I am not giving being burned out a nanosecond's thought. :-)

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 6:31 am
Pink amother, pardon me for not being familiar with the population and geographical layout of a city I've never been to or know anyone from. Though I'm assuming that if there are hundreds of thousands of families there, then they're not all equally in the line of fire, and if any communities do become threatened they would be welcomed by those who are in a safer zone.

Amarante, thanks for the reassurance. As I said, I'm not familiar with the geography so I didn't know that the frum community is not in the danger zone. Still tragic and frightening for all those who are involved and I hope the surrounding areas will be able to help them get through this!

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 7:07 am
seeker wrote:
Pink amother, pardon me for not being familiar with the population and geographical layout of a city I've never been to or know anyone from. Though I'm assuming that if there are hundreds of thousands of families there, then they're not all equally in the line of fire, and if any communities do become threatened they would be welcomed by those who are in a safer zone.

Amarante, thanks for the reassurance. As I said, I'm not familiar with the geography so I didn't know that the frum community is not in the danger zone. Still tragic and frightening for all those who are involved and I hope the surrounding areas will be able to help them get through this!

Wasn’t trying to be mean so I am sorry. I was stressed last night plus assuming posters were coming from “there are 5 Jews and a dog in LA” mindset not realizing we have hundreds of thousands in the LA area. Yes, some are more in danger than others but the main frum areas are somewhat farther away. But we still got that emergency alert on our phones last night so it’s nerve wracking!

Miri7

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 8:04 am
etky wrote:
I have an Uncle and cousins in LA so I've been keeping track of the situation.
It is indeed very scary.
I hope the winds die down soon. What is the forecast for that?

The wind forecast is bad. It was a low yesterday, but they’re expected to be back up again today. I think that camp Ramah in Ojai was evacuated last night, they are close to one of the really big fires.

etky

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 8:13 am
Miri7 wrote:
The wind forecast is bad. It was a low yesterday, but they’re expected to be back up again today. I think that camp Ramah in Ojai was evacuated last night, they are close to one of the really big fires.

Oy. That does not sound good.
I spoke now to my father who just heard from his brother.
He and my aunt had been out of town but had to return early, yesterday evening, to pack up some things in case they are evacuated. The fire is 4 miles from them. They are in a northern part of LA. Not in a frum area.

Miri7

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 9:52 am
And while we are at it, let’s daven for all the brave firefighters who have worked so long and so hard this year in California and around the country. They work so hard and put themselves in great danger to protect lives and homes.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:27 am
Can someone explain what’s going on with LA and fires? I’m uninformed here.

Miri7

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 11:24 am
There are a few wildfires burning in LA and Ventura counties (northwest of LA). The Ventura fire is huge and has shut down a major freeway, the Skirball fire shut down a major freeway and is near a Jewish museum, reform day school and shul, and a conservative university, and the Getty museum. The smoke from those and other fires is so bad that hundreds of public and private schools in LA are closed today. Over 200k people have been evacuated. None of the fires is directly adjacent to a “frum“ areas of LA though it’s impacting them and most everyone in LA.

Here is a link to an article : https://www.google.com/amp/s/m......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics