Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Getting baby to take liquids

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 8:59 pm
10 month old baby is seemingly weaning from bf but refuses to take a bottle. Due to poor muscle tone and age, giving liquids with a cup isn't really working. We've tried a zippy cup with no success. I either have to spoon feed the liquid or mix it in cereal etc for my baby drink it/swallow it.
Help! The child needs more liquid than she's currently getting. Sad

BA

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 10:57 pm
I had this with my eleven month old. I finally got him to drink out of a kiddush cup/shot cup a few drop s at a time and slowly increased the amount to half an ounce at time and I just kept refilling it. You might also want to try a straw sippy cup. Good luck

Iymnok

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 11:18 pm
When my kids start to cut down on nursing, I get them a sippy cup with a silicone straw. The water comes up easily and they could bite it. A hard straw it uncomfortable and difficult for a baby. A regular plastic straw won't work after they bite it, it's flat and closed.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 1:13 pm
Had similar with my daughter. Straw cup worked great. Get one that has a weight at the bottom of the straw, so it can be used in any direction (e.g. zoli bot or b.box). Took her a bit to get the hang of it, but within a few weeks, she was able to get a full feeding out of it.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 6:26 pm
Thank you for the recommendation.

Any specific sippy cup with straw? The ones I saw on Target had not such great reviews.

Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics