Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Lakewood offensive sign?
  Previous  1  2  3  12  13  14

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 5:35 pm
That nut with the sign probably marched in Charlottesville chanting "Jews will not replace us".

shyshira

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 6:35 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I am saying that the post Depression policies are no longer in place; we now have policies that actively encourage families with children to avail themselves of any social services available. I also don't think that Jersey Care is considered a low income program by ANYONE (except Shyshira).

Like I said in an earlier thread, the current government policies are there to help single mothers - all of whom are single mothers by choice - and the fact that we benefit by these policies is nice, but we are hardly using up all the US resources ourselves.

I don't know if we do or don't have more children on JerseyCare than any other town, I have not seen those statistics. As for other programs such as Food Stamps, which has a much lower income threshold - I don't know how many people in Lakewood qualify for full benefits, again, I have not seen the data either way.

Again, I explained the term "welfare" upthread. Multiple times.

It references federal poverty levels as entry points. I’m Not the only one..

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 6:37 pm
shyshira wrote:
It references federal poverty levels as entry points. I’m Not the only one..

300% is very different than 100%.

shyshira

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 7:05 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
300% is very different than 100%.

That’s the most expensive category. It’s starts lower than that. Can we agree to low to mid income?

RebekahsMom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 7:59 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
What? What???!!!
It costs 15,000 per child in the public school system, our yeshivos full tuition is probably half. How do you see doubling tuition as being a cost saving?

You realize that the $15k the public school charges is already being paid by your taxes? You’re already paying double- for both public and Yeshiva. How do you see that as cost-saving?

That $15k per student does include special needs children. Go to any local town site, find the budget, and see an exact breakdown of where the money goes. It’s certainly no $93k per child SCHI fee, and every special needs teacher has an advanced certified degree (however, they hire paraprofessionals for a fraction to work as one-on-one teachers for some kids).

The costs will actually go down because they’ll have less buses, going shorter distances. Instead of about 100 private schools with 100 principals, and 100 kitchens, paying 100 rents and 100 electric/ gas/ insurance bills, you will end up with 20 schools, and in turn 20 of each of those fees.

I hate to keep picking on SCHI, but I’d say that less than 1/4 of the kids there can’t be treated in public schools. I say this because my own sister in law does early intervention in Lakewood. She has helped many children there, as well as a few in my family). Assuming everyone goes public, including 3/4 of the SCHI kids. That would leave over $15m for the town- and isn’t that what’s spent on busing for everyone? Less if they went public? The schools would be at a surplus.

And honestly, lakewood is only that high because of the amount spent on ESL and extra educational needs. Lakewood charges $23k per child, Brick, $14.7, Jackson, $14.5 Howell, $16.8, Toms River $13.4. And some of those schools are tops for their educational readiness (college/ career).

Either way, you’re already paying double.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 8:43 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I am saying that the post Depression policies are no longer in place; we now have policies that actively encourage families with children to avail themselves of any social services available. I also don't think that Jersey Care is considered a low income program by ANYONE (except Shyshira).

Of course Jersey Care is meant for low income people, that's why you have to prove your income in order to be on it.

Like I said in an earlier thread, the current government policies are there to help single mothers - all of whom are single mothers by choice - and the fact that we benefit by these policies is nice, but we are hardly using up all the US resources ourselves.

]The government policies aren't there to help single mothers, they are there to help poor Americans, otherwise you would have to prove you were a single mother, you wouldn't have to prove that you are poor. And besides, not all single mothers are single mothers by choice.

RebekahsMom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 9:19 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Again and again, I am seeing the claim on imamother that our non Jewish neighbors are upset that we get welfare. I have not yet seen ONE linked article or any kind of proof whatsoever to back up this claim. An my experience is that this is not the reality.

Here are a few links. The last is 20 yrs old- clearly this is not a new issue. No, the newspapers aren’t printing “the secular community hates us because of welfare”. It’s not the articles, it’s the hundreds of comments made in reply to the articles. Some are anti Semitic, pure disgusting hatred spewed out. But others state “I’m Jewish/ have no problem with jews, but (spending/ welfare/ schooling/ etc.)”

Investigation: Lakewood has 2% of NJ kids, gets 14% of NJ sick child aid

http://www.app.com/story/news/.....9001/

Lakewood: 350 Orthodox properties tax-exempt

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a.....41878

Do Lakewood Residents Pay Taxes?

http://tomsriverstrong.com/ind.....es-2/

Welfare Reform? Not For The Orthodox

https://www.thedailybeast.com/.....hodox

Religion and Welfare Shape Economics for the Hasidim

https://mobile.nytimes.com/199.....erer=

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 4:49 am
southernbubby wrote:
I think that the Leviim did sit and learn while the rest tended the sheep in Goshen and the reason that they became enslaved was that at first Pharoah lured them out of Goshen and on to construction sites with promises of good pay but the Leviim did not buy into that and stayed in Kollel.

And do we have any midrashim that tell us who supported the Leviim?
Page 14 of 14   Previous  1  2  3  12  13  14 Recent Topics