Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Any good spaghetti squash recipes?

tzipp

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 7:52 pm
Spaghetti squash is the coolest vegetable- the way you cook it and then when you spoon out the flesh it becomes all stringy, but I need a good simple recipe that gives it some flavor. When I tried one once, it didn't come out so good.

elisecohen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 8:22 pm
The only way my family will eat it is with chicken cacciatore on top. Yummy, but still Rolling Eyes

But to make the chicken, just brown some chicken (boneless breasts, bone-in pieces, whatever you like) in a large saucepan, then pour prepared pasta sauce over it, cover, and simmer about 45 minutes. Very low-fat and yummy.

You can do it with tofu too but it takes longer to brown it, and then you just simmer for 5 minutes or so.

Then serve over steamed spaghetti squash.

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 8:41 pm
This is a recipe from Lucy ( she posted it a while a go)

Spaggetti squash salad :
1 spaggetti squash cut in half remove pits & bake @ 30 min.
2 carrots shredded
1 red or green onion shredded
3 green onions diced

let the squash 1/2 cool then with a fork scrape out, so that it will look like strands, add all veggies together then dress with:

a little mayo or oil (whatever you prefer)
1 or 1/2 squeezed lemon
salt
pepper

tzipp

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 11:23 am
Thanks! I was thinking- Elise- that I could try something similar with fish if I don't want to make flaishigs.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 3:34 pm
bringing this up cuz I have the same question-anybody out there got any good recipes for spaghetti squash?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 8:38 pm
I mix in imitation bacon bits and serve it as a side dish!

lucy

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 10:59 pm
Here is a kugel for you. My kids don't like kugel at all but for some reason this is the only one that passes with them!

Cut your spaghetti squash in half scoop of seeds bake for 30-45 min.
Let cool and scrape with fork to make strings.
Then saute onions and mushrooms. Mix everything together with a few eggs (3-4 depending on how big is the squash) little oil, salt, pepper.
Bake until golden, usually 30-45 min.

Enjoy!

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 11:00 pm
thanx-will try it next week - if memory is working

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:14 am
I made a recipe a couple of weeks ago...it was a spagetti squash salad. ti was with pickles and onions and stuff. if interested, let me know and I wil look up the recipe

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 10:23 am
We LOVE it and eat it all the time. We have it Italian style. Drizzle with EV Olive Oil, Garlic Powd, salt & pep - even good with a few sprigs of rosemary or your other favorite seasoning. Yum!

shanie5

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 12:47 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
I made a recipe a couple of weeks ago...it was a spagetti squash salad. ti was with pickles and onions and stuff. if interested, let me know and I wil look up the recipe

im interested

please post

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 1:16 pm
I made a very side nice dish for Shabbos with Spag. squash, it was from the better homes and gardens magazine. It included OJ, dried cherries, & walnuts. Let me know if you want it.

shanie5

Post Fri, Jan 26 2007, 1:24 pm
letting you know.............

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 8:42 am
Spaghetti Squash Salad, from The Heimish Kitchen

1 large spag. squash
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vinegar
1 carrot, grated
1 pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1-2 pickles, sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4-6 T. mayo
1/4 cup pickle juice

cut squash in half - scoop out seeds and bade at 350 for 45 minutes. or it can be cooked in water until tender.
remove strands from squash with fork to resemble spaghetti.
combine all ingredients - mix well. serve chilled.

enjoy!

shanie5

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 2:02 pm
lucy wrote:
Here is a kugel for you. My kids don't like kugel at all but for some reason this is the only one that passes with them!

Cut your spaghetti squash in half scoop of seeds bake for 30-45 min.
Let cool and scrape with fork to make strings.
Then saute onions and mushrooms. Mix everything together with a few eggs (3-4 depending on how big is the squash) little oil, salt, pepper.
Bake until golden, usually 30-45 min.

Enjoy!

I made this kugel today for shabbos. my dd just asked me what kind it was and I said you'd probably not want to know. she insisted so I told her "spaghetti squash" she asked for a piece and I said fine, (but she doesnt like mushrooms). she tried it and loved it!!!!

will let u know what the rest say after shabbos.

Mevater

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 11:11 am
shanie5 wrote:
letting you know.............

Better late than never. Im not the one who offered it, but I was curious and I found it.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/vege.....uash/

Jeweled Spaghetti Squash
Ingredients
1 3 pound spaghetti squash
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
3/4 cup dried tart cherries
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions
Halve squash lengthwise; discard seeds. Place one squash half, cut side down, in microwave-safe baking dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap, turning back a corner of wrap to allow steam to escape. Micro-cook, covered, on high (100 percent power) for 20 to 22 minutes or until tender, turning once. Keep warm. Replace water; repeat with remaining squash.
Using a fork, scrape stringy squash pulp from shells into a serving bowl.
In saucepan bring orange juice to boiling. Remove from heat. Add cherries; let stand 10 minutes. In skillet cook nuts in hot butter over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally.
Add cherries and juice, toasted walnuts, parsley, salt, and pepper to squash pulp. Toss to coat. Serve warm. Makes 8 (about 2/3-cup) servings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes