Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
ISO: Chicken on Bone Recipes (No cutlets pls/DCs on strike)

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 12:32 pm
So my kids are officially on strike and refusing to eat chicken cutlets. I'm now looking for at least 10 good (obviously), easy (even more obviously) chicken on bone recipes so they don't go on further strike for lack of variety. Extra points to anything that comes with a built in side dish.

I've looked on kosher.com, joyofkosher.com and through most of my cookbooks - and I have a lot.

Thing is I want some tried and true recipes.

I'll even offer up a recipe to start - from Balabuste 2

1/4 cup mustard
1/2 cup duck sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce

combine all ingredients, brush chicken with sauce and place into pan.

The recipe calls for doing this to the soup chicken. We use turkey and my kids eat it so I used 8 raw chicken bottoms pieces (drumstick counted as one). Marinate for one hour or over night (I skipped this step - who has time to marinate). Place in oven, covered at 350 degrees and bake for an hour. Lower heat to 250 degrees and bake until read to service. (I baked at 350 the whole time, 1 hour covered, 45 minutes uncovered.) I recognize I didn't make the actual recipe, but everyone liked it so I'm hoping it's a keeper when I repeat.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 12:37 pm
Sesame chicken from silver platter

Roast chicken: Pam, salt, pepper, herbes de Provence OR paprika, garlic and onion powder. Roast at 375 for 1hr 15 min.

Slow roasted chicken and potatoes:
Cube potatoes and sweet potatoes and put in pan. Place chicken pieces on top. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place a few cloves around. (Can add sliced onions too.) bake COVERED at 325 for 2 h 15 min, then uncovered for 45 min. (Adapted from by cookbook.)

Honey garlic chicken (ra_mom's recipe)- honey, soy sauce and garlic powder

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 12:47 pm
This is good- https://artscroll.files.wordpr.....n.pdf
I cook for longer and cover it first because I like chicken very soft. If using a disposable pan will need to cook for longer to get squash roasted.

I also like roasting chicken pieces with lemon and rosemary or thyme and lots of cloves of garlic.

Not so healthy but cranberry sauce mixed with thousand island dressing is great mixed over chicken before you bake it

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 12:48 pm
Another recipe:
Take skin off chicken.
Dip into egg, then cornflake crumbs (seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper).
Bake at 350- 45 min covered, then 45 min uncovered.

heidi

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 12:52 pm
Lawry's seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika. Cover and bake at 375 for an hour then uncover, spray with Pam and continue to bake for 1/2 an hour.
You cannot imagine how many compliments I get on this "recipe".

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 12:53 pm
heidi wrote:
Lawry's seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika. Cover and bake at 375 for an hour then uncover, spray with Pam and continue to bake for 1/2 an hour.
You cannot imagine how many compliments I get on this "recipe".

Yum. Simple, and I've got the ingredients in my house. Can't wait to try

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 12:58 pm
You guys are fast and amazing.

Here’s hoping we get more!

heidi

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 12:59 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Yum. Simple, and I've got the ingredients in my house. Can't wait to try

I don't know what makes it so good,but it's the only chicken on the bone I would dare to serve room temperature, not even heated for Shabbat lunch, and I still get compliments

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 1:02 pm
Quick & Kosher's honey chicken (I skip the oil)
Quick & Kosher's southern style chicken
KBD's Primavera chicken
KBD's Kickin chicken
KBD's Greek garlic chicken

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 1:08 pm
If you have the second silver platter book the red wine chicken and potatoes is delish and the cinnamon chicken with sweet potatoes. They are both one pan meals which is always nice.

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 1:16 pm
mha3484 wrote:
If you have the second silver platter book the red wine chicken and potatoes is delish and the cinnamon chicken with sweet potatoes. They are both one pan meals which is always nice.

I do have that cookbook. (Okay I’m a bit of a cookbook hog and have 2.5 full shelves of cookbooks. I just like reading them even tho I won’t make most of the recipes.) I’ll take a look. Thanks!

esther malka

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 1:19 pm
Montreal chicken seasoning straight from the bottle, sprinkle, bake, enjoy! Staple around here.
Another easy one is BBQ sauce and sprinkle brown sugar. Baby Rae’s bbq sauce is grt.
Both Bake at 350 for 1 hr 20 min

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 1:41 pm
Fresh cilantro, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Blend in a food processor and coat. It's delicious. It's also great on fish.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 1:45 pm
Chicken and rice:

Preheat oven to 350. Chop an onion and sprinkle it over the bottom of a pan. Place chicken skin side up over the onions (I skin the chicken first) and season with S&P, onion and garlic powder, and paprika. Pour 1 cup dry white rice around the chicken. Combine 1/4 cup ketchup (I mix in some additional seasoning) with 1 3/4 cups boiling water and pour over the rice. Cover pan tightly with foil and place in oven. Bake for a minimum of 1 hour. Check to see if water is absorbed and if not then bake a little longer.

cbg

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 10:35 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Chicken and rice:

Preheat oven to 350. Chop an onion and sprinkle it over the bottom of a pan. Place chicken skin side up over the onions (I skin the chicken first) and season with S&P, onion and garlic powder, and paprika. Pour 1 cup dry white rice around the chicken. Combine 1/4 cup ketchup (I mix in some additional seasoning) with 1 3/4 cups boiling water and pour over the rice. Cover pan tightly with foil and place in oven. Bake for a minimum of 1 hour. Check to see if water is absorbed and if not then bake a little longer.

You can add frozen mixed veggies to this
This is how I make mine
In the pan.
Rice, water (1:2 ratio) salt, tumeric. Mix.
Then add the frozen mixed veggies, and green olives (optional)
Then season chicken well, and place on top.
I like to use paprika for color.
Foil tight, bake for 1 hr., maybe longerif the water is not completely absorbed.
After take foil off, and broil a few minutes so that chicken gets some color.

You can also make chicken and veggies.
Chicken
Zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, potato, onions,garlic clove cut these in big chunks.
Then I take out all my seasons
Smear oil then mix all seasonings.
Foil tight.
Bake at 300-325 for about 2-21/2 hrs. Low and Slow.
It should be Carmelized even foiled tightly.

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 11:17 pm
If you like green olives you can make chicken with olives, garlic tomato sauce, turmeric, cilantro and cumin. It’s really yummy with rice or couscous

4thebooks

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 11:47 pm
4 bottoms skin removed

Prepare a marinade of
Olive oil
Fresh crushed garlic
Paprika
Oregano
S&p
Mix well and marinate chicken for an hour (you can let marinate overnight gives better flavor but you don’t have too)
Spray a pan with pam take marinaded chicken dip into flour place in pan spray chicken with pam cover and bake on 375 for 1 hour and uncovered for 1/2 hour.
This is our favorite recipe!

One pot dinner:
Place chicken bottoms in a pot add water to just about cover the chicken or a little less add a lot of fresh cloves garlic, s&p and paprika boil chicken till it’s halfway done than add 1 cup of brown rice lower flame and let rice cook towards end add frozen broccoli and let steam. I sprinkle additional salt when adding rice and broccoli.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey