Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
SOUS VIDE

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Dec 14 2017, 8:36 pm
Im looking into a sous vide.
Anyone out there has one and actually uses it? Or is it just a fad?
Any good recipes?
Also, Does it need to be toiveled?

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 14 2017, 9:18 pm
We use ours all the time. There's a brisket that's been slow cooking in there since yesterday, getting ready for Shabbos.

We often marinate chicken and meats with a mix of sweetened soy sauce, like Trader Joe's Soyaki, or Soy Very, mixed with a BBQ sauce.

The whole joy of it is you don't have to potchke with recipes. Dump on your favorite marinade or spice rub, set it, and forget it.

AYLOR about tevila. I think I toveiled ours.

rgr

Post Thu, Dec 14 2017, 10:40 pm
Ask your LOR, but being that it doesn't touch the finished product, as the food is in a sealed bag, I don't believe it will need toiveling.

muffinsmommy

Post Thu, Dec 14 2017, 11:14 pm
I was told by my Rav that it does not need toiveling. I personally have not had such luck with mine. Just got it recently and am not thrilled with the food I made with it. Salmon was super-mushy, corned beef was extremely salty (I guess cuz it didn't have water to dilute the saltiness), ribs were very undercooked and brisket just tasted like regular brisket. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if like you said - it's just a fad.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 11:30 pm
I enjoy mine
Love making steak and meat in it

muffinsmommy

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 11:58 pm
Can you share the recipes that have worked for you?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 1:32 am
I made perfect medium rare prime rib for Shabbat. I didn’t even season it til I put it in the oven to brown. We just follow the directions in the app. BUT. We tried using it for fish at the restaurant and this was the problem. Generally, if we cooked it the way it is supposed to be done, ppl complained it was raw. When we cooked it longer it was awful. Maybe sea bass or another fish that needs to be well done would work.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 1:33 am
amother wrote:
Im looking into a sous vide.
Anyone out there has one and actually uses it? Or is it just a fad?
Any good recipes?
Also, Does it need to be toiveled?

Not a fad. Didn’t need to be tovelled in my Cor supervised restaurant in a Chabad house. Look at web site serious eats. Great recipes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen