Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Foods that don't need a hechsher
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

keym

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 7:35 am
real israeli wrote:
I didn't read through the whole thread but I'm really curious- considering that these items are readily available with a hechsher why would you want to buy without?

Because the hechsher costs and there is usually a price difference. In wal mart, a gallon of water is $.79, generic with ou $.89, name prand $1.19, baby water $1.39. ( these prices were when I checked a while back). Why should I spend money on a hechsher if it doesnt need.
Its all marketing. Dont get me started on "baby approved" and "certified gluten free". I once saw tomatoes with a certified gluten free label selling for $2 more than the regular tomato price. And people were buying it.
Hechsherim are the same. Why does MrClean need a hechsher. Its not even touching my dishes like dishwashing liquid (which my lor says needs a hechsher.) But mrclean? So I could eat off my floors!

water_bear88

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 7:38 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I have never seen eggs in Israel with a hechsher (only for Passover when they come with 3 small stars stamped on each egg indicating chickens have been fed chametz-free food)
and yes, bottled water/mineral water may need a hechsher (or at least be on a reliable kosher list) as some companies do use filters with kitniyot content. Guess it depends in which country you are in.

Asking because of how I remember the halacha, not questioning your personal psak- aren't kitniyot batel b'shishim on Pesach? Even eggs and milk are labeled כשר לפסח ערב פסח because chametz is batel b'shishim except for on Pesach. (If a speck of chametz fell into the milk in processing before chametz, the milk is not forbidden on Pesach; if it fell in on Pesach, the milk is forbidden.)

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 7:43 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Asking because of how I remember the halacha, not questioning your personal psak- aren't kitniyot batel b'shishim on Pesach? Even eggs and milk are labeled כשר לפסח ערב פסח because chametz is batel b'shishim except for on Pesach. (If a speck of chametz fell into the milk in processing before chametz, the milk is not forbidden on Pesach; if it fell in on Pesach, the milk is forbidden.)

Yes

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 7:46 am
Ruchel wrote:
LOL water??? Ok, sorry but if I stop all this one day it will be because of such charlatanism.

There are many things to be bought by ingredients in my world.

So, I was the one who said that I used to look for a hechsher on water.

I just googled it, and this is what the O-U says:

First they explained why some common foods that usually don't need a hechsher, such as water, do have a hechsher. This is what they say:

"Many dairies, for instance, bottle water, and some of those have switched from filtering the water to pasteurizing it on the same equipment used for the milk"

https://oukosher.org/blog/cons.....-faq/

This link explains it further:

“Many years ago, one of our senior field people from Chicago went into a facility that bottles water and discovered that they pasteurize all the water before bottling it,” says Elefant. “They were pasteurizing it on the same machine they use for milk. That makes all the water dairy. It’s not the case that all water is or could be dairy, but if someone wants to be 100 percent sure, buy bottled water with a hechsher.”
Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/faith.....Du.99
http://www.beliefnet.com/faith......aspx

But elsewhere on the site, the O-U says that water does NOT need a hechser?!

Last edited by Mommyg8 on Thu, Dec 07 2017, 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 4:48 am
Brownies wrote:
I live in Europe and there are many things we can eat without hechsher according to the local Kashrut authority. This includes many of the things mentioned above such as plain dried herbs and spices, fish as long as skin is attached, pasta, rice, dried beans and legumes etc. Also tinned vegetables and fruit in water or their own juice (making sure there’s no grape juice in tinned fruit), tomato purée, most juices and soft drinks. Also frozen veg - the only frozen veg not recommended is stuff like broccoli which is pretty hard if not impossible to check once frozen. This is aside from things which have been approved for the Kosher list.

Are you sure about the tinned vegetables? Our kosher list says that tinned vegetables present very serious kashrus problem and may not be used without a hechsher. Even the less stringent list, which allows many things that our kehilla's list doesn't, forbids consumption of tinned vegetables without a hechsher.

Brownies

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 6:39 am
amother wrote:
Are you sure about the tinned vegetables? Our kosher list says that tinned vegetables present very serious kashrus problem and may not be used without a hechsher. Even the less stringent list, which allows many things that our kehilla's list doesn't, forbids consumption of tinned vegetables without a hechsher.

Yes positive as long as it’s plain veg in brine or water.

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 6:47 am
amother wrote:

I learned that there is a very serious potential problem in that a wide variety of tinned foods are routinely tinned/canned on the same machines. One could easily have trief meat, dairy, then peaches or green beans processed in the same canning equipment with minimal cleaning and no kashering. This potentially makes your vegetables treif.

Brownies

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 7:10 am
lavenderchimes wrote:
I learned that there is a very serious potential problem in that a wide variety of tinned foods are routinely tinned/canned on the same machines. One could easily have trief meat, dairy, then peaches or green beans processed in the same canning equipment with minimal cleaning and no kashering. This potentially makes your vegetables treif.

Clearly the (pretty frum!) Rabbis in charge of the Kashrut authority in my country have investigated and not found this to be a problem, otherwise they wouldn’t have included it in their guidelines. But thanks anyway.

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 1:59 pm
Brownies wrote:
Clearly the (pretty frum!) Rabbis in charge of the Kashrut authority in my country have investigated and not found this to be a problem, otherwise they wouldn’t have included it in their guidelines. But thanks anyway.

Clearly:) I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to appear to be questioning the Kashrus authorities in your country, I just wanted that if someone who was only begining to learn Kashrus saw this thread, they would understand that there can be problems with tinned food so that someone should not automatically assume it is Kosher without checking.

mirah2

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 6:26 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Anything processed needs a hechsher. Basically the only things that don't need a hechsher are fruits, vegetables, eggs, nuts, and water.

I'm in the UK. To this, the KLBD (who are a respected kashrut authority) would add a whole list of things:

Dried pasta
Rice
Other plain grains (barley/bulgar/couscous etc.)
Pure ground spices with no additives
Tea (if you check the ingredients)
Plain coffee
Yoghurts (if you check the ingredients and aren't strict on CY)
Milk (if you aren't strict on CY)
Fruit juices and soft drinks (if you check the ingredients)
Tinned vegetables in brine/water
Probably other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head

The KLBD also 'approves' a whole range of processed products such as chocolates, crisps etc. without putting their hechsher on them.

You sound like you're from N. America, where the idea that you have to have a hechsher on everything is really prevalent. If you're in the UK/Europe, it's a very different attitude. We can actually buy a lot of products here without a hechsher, it's only really considered essential for meat/baked goods and cheese (although even in the last two categories there are differences of opinion).

Last edited by mirah2 on Sun, Dec 17 2017, 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

mirah2

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 6:33 am
myname1 wrote:
Could it be that people know that these specific things are kosher? I know some places in Europe have lists instead of hechsherim- so the people who need to know do even though the package doesn't say. Kind of like in the US, many people eat Kelloggs cereals even though they only have a K on the box. It's not that people rely on a K or that they don't need to be certified kosher- it's just everyone knows that someone reliable is saying it's kosher.

No, it's because the KLBD (the best known kashrut body in the UK) specifically says any fruit juices or soft drinks are OK as long as you read the label yourself to make sure there is no grape juice or other non-kosher additive. The KLBD most certainly do not list every single fruit juice/soft drink on the market, that would be mad.

This is where you are required to know a bit about kashrut yourself and use your own judgment instead of relying on someone sticking a label on the package for you.

If you don't believe me, go to the website below and type on 'Fruit Juice' to see their general guidance (in the bit that drops down under the exclamation mark). Or for that matter, try it with any of the other products (like spices/tinned vegetables etc) that y'all are casting doubts on us Brits for.

https://www.kosher.org.uk/koshersearch

Last edited by mirah2 on Sun, Dec 17 2017, 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total

mirah2

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 6:36 am
real israeli wrote:
I didn't read through the whole thread but I'm really curious- considering that these items are readily available with a hechsher why would you want to buy without?

Maybe because of cost? Or quality? Or not everyone has easy access to a kosher shop? I gave up eating cheese for several years for the simple reason that I lived in a part of the country without access to hechshered cheese...

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 12:51 pm
So I found this thread while searching for info on eggs, wanting to buy some organic eggs from Whole Foods though for some reason brown eggs seem much more popular among the crunchy set!

So wondering if the below is of any concern in US now from a 'health foods' type of vendor, what if they found a 'healthier' type of chicken that's not kosher!

Quote:
For the poster that wrote eggs don't need a hechsher. I found out that not all chickens that lay eggs are kosher and when they aren't their eggs are not kosher. I'm not sure the specifics but we raise chickens and this was brought to my attention. I always thought all chickens and eggs were kosher but they aren't.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 1:02 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Apples
Oranges
Pears
Bananas
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Carrots
Celery
Squash
Onions
Potatoes
Garlic
Kiwi
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Honeydew
Avacado
Eggs

Eggs need a hechsher - not all eggs are kosher.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen