Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can a boy be in Mir without registeting
Previous  1  2

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 6:02 am
amother wrote:
Welcome to Facebook. Oh well.

What??

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 8:53 am
It used to be ok to be in Mir without registering. The boy slept in his own apartment and did not eat any food.
The previous Rosh hayeshiva said no one should be turned away and it was common for unregistered boys to join
The last few years, Mir no longer allows this. Some boys are still under the impression that this can still be done, and then they are in for a rude surprise when they are turned away from shiur.
OP, Please register your son. You will avoid a host of problems

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Dec 15 2017, 9:04 am
amother wrote:
Yes you started many new threads abut this , all asking the same questions. Why can your son register ? And every boy goes and gets an apt by asking other boys

I think she's referring to these threads:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....t=mir

BTW, (1) Mir charges tuition; (2) AIUI, Mir does not allow its students to live in an apartment with anyone other than another Mir student, so your son needs to be registered and careful about that; (3) AIUI, Mir also requires that students allow Mir to inspect their apartments.

ProudMommie

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 10:25 am
Willymom,

If u need smthing posted in mir I will ask my dh and he will gladly do it for you.

Pls pm me if u need

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
I think she's referring to these threads:

BTW, (1) Mir charges tuition; (2) AIUI, Mir does not allow its students to live in an apartment with anyone other than another Mir student, so your son needs to be registered and careful about that; (3) AIUI, Mir also requires that students allow Mir to inspect their apartments.

I don't think number 2. is correct (about them not allowing to sleep in an apartment with boys from other yeshivas.)

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 2:25 pm
If the boy does take food from Mir, please have him put money in the pushke!

I am friends with a couple who make their parnossa from cooking food for Mir every day. Anyone who takes without donating is stealing food from their kid's mouths. As it is, they barely make enough to cover the cost of ingredients some days, and it's a huge mitzvah that they work so hard to provide for all the boys.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
If the boy does take food from Mir, please have him put money in the pushke!

I am friends with a couple who make their parnossa from cooking food for Mir every day. Anyone who takes without donating is stealing food from their kid's mouths. As it is, they barely make enough to cover the cost of ingredients some days, and it's a huge mitzvah that they work so hard to provide for all the boys.

As much as I agree with you about the stealing, I don't get the correlation here to your friends. The cooks in mir aren't paying for the ingredients out of their own pocket.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 2:32 pm
Dear OP-
My son is registered in Mir in Yerushalayim, and he does not eat their food because it gives him stomach aches. He buys his own food. Your son is welcome to have my son's portion.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Dec 16 2017, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
Dear OP-
My son is registered in Mir in Yerushalayim, and he does not eat their food because it gives him stomach aches. He buys his own food. Your son is welcome to have my son's portion.

I don't think it works that way in halacha. It's not the same as buying a portion of food in a store and then passing it on to someone else. Your tuition is a package, take what you want and leave the rest. I don't see it giving you the right to take food and pass it on.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 12:53 am
Hi

Years ago things were different. The Mir put in ads beginning a few years back that anyone learning there needs to register.

My husband went to a diff Yeshiva in EY nearly 20 years ago and was miserable mid zman. He switched to the Mir without registering . I don’t recall if it was because it was mid zman or what

He did not join a Shiur nor eat there. He simply found a Chavrusa and did some of the best learning of his bachur years. It was like a big “host” in those days.

Today, things are more official and they have insisted on only registered bachruim learning there. And I believe that rule needs to be respected

Shuly

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 8:42 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:

Today, things are more official and they have insisted on only registered bachruim learning there. And I believe that rule needs to be respected

This. And yes I know boys who applied to the Mir and were not accepted. There are enough "stepping stone" yeshivos out there nowadays that the Mir has been able to raise their bar.

DH loves the Mir and learned there for almost 15 years, but he always says that while it's an amazing yeshiva, it is so big that it's easy for a boy to get lost and fall through the cracks IF he does not have a connection with his rebbi.

He strongly advises against sending a boy there if he will not be in a shiur with a rebbi who is taking attendance and who will call him if he does not show up one day.

Some parents hire married kollel guys to learn with their sons which is also an excellent idea.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 6:04 am
amother wrote:
I don't think it works that way in halacha. It's not the same as buying a portion of food in a store and then passing it on to someone else. Your tuition is a package, take what you want and leave the rest. I don't see it giving you the right to take food and pass it on.

I don't see a problem to pass the food. A dayen can be asked to be sure.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 6:09 am
amother wrote:
I don't see a problem to pass the food. A eaten can be asked to be sure.

You aren't paying for the food, you're paying to be part of Mir. As part of that, they provide food as well. You don't pay more or less if you eat a double portion of schnitzel or skip breakfast one day.
It's the same as taking out a hotel/vacation package and then sending an outsider on a 'free' arranged tour instead of you, which I don't seen any allowance for either.
I don't see how it can be permitted though I might be wrong, so of course, AYLOR if applicable.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 6:17 am
amother wrote:
I don't see a problem to pass the food. A dayen can be asked to be sure.

First step would be to ask the yeshiva itself.

The reality is - they have a right to a say of who Learning there.

If they accepted the bachur, and he couldn’t afford the fees -and they agreed to waive them, but not allow him to eat their meals (which seems kind of unusual) - then there is a shaila if he can eat food that someone else is passing on.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics