Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Using miles from credit cards for flights
1  2  Next

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 11:55 am
How many miles would I need from using my credit card, to book a free flight from NY/NJ to Israel? Thanx.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 11:57 am
120k miles round trip for one ticket . It really it varies card to card and what type it is.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 12:20 pm
Flights start from 50K miles and up..
(50k - non stop roundtrip with Air France in economy)

If you don't have air France miles you can transfer from MR, UR, TYP, or SPG

sury1234

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 3:36 pm
Depends what card and miles you have, we allways book vacations with miles, but you need to be or ask a expert how to and when and what miles to use for what, it can be a big difference from one to another

boysrus

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 3:44 pm
I have done this twice recently. Once I got a great deal with airmiles on chase sapphire reserve with 2 stopovers, 1 in Europe. That was about 47,000 airmiles only. But I think that;s unusually cheap.

Another time I spent 74,000 airmiles with only one stopover in Toronto.

but thats with chase sapphire reserve. Thats the best card to have but it comes with a $450 annual fee, you can get back $300 of that $450 by using $300 for travel which includes car rental, parking lots, cabs, trains, airlines etc.

If you have chase sapphire preferred it would cost more airmiles. Cant remember how much more... maybe the 74,000 airmile flight would have been more like 95,000? not sure.

if you have credit cards adn airmiles with american airlines or united then you used to be able to get good deals for 85,000+ airmiles and $150 approx., but nowadays their awards are much more limited adn a bit useless in my opinion. The options they give are not great, often going through Amman, Jordan or if they take you through England then you sometimes have high taxes to pay, can be as much as $600! which means there's no point using all those airmiles.

sury1234

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 3:55 pm
boysrus wrote:
I have done this twice recently. Once I got a great deal with airmiles on chase sapphire reserve with 2 stopovers, 1 in Europe. That was about 47,000 airmiles only. But I think that;s unusually cheap.

but thats with chase sapphire reserve. Thats the best card to have but it comes with a $450 annual fee, you can get back $300 of that $450 by using $300 for travel which includes car rental, parking lots, cabs, trains, airlines etc.

If you have chase sapphire preferred it would cost more airmiles. Cant remember how much more... maybe the 74,000 airmile flight would have been more like 95,000? not sure.

if you have credit cards adn airmiles with american airlines or united then you used to be able to get good deals for 85,000+ airmiles and $150 approx., but nowadays their awards are much more limited adn a bit useless in my opinion. The options they give are not great, often going through Amman, Jordan or if they take you through England then you sometimes have high taxes to pay, can be as much as $600! which means there's no point using all those airmiles.

As I said there is big difference between one another, my husband is the one doing it if you tell me what points you have etc I can try to ask him

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 8:21 am
boysrus wrote:

I keep hearing the reserve points are worth more. When we transferred our reserve points to united, we did it to a 1:1 ratio. If we do it from our preferred card, it'll also be worth 1:1. So how is it worth more?

boysrus

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 9:14 am
they are only worth more if you book your travel through chase ultimate rewards. The link to that is online when you re logged in to your chase account.

try it and see, msg me if you cant figure it out.

doctorima

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 12:11 pm
These may be outdated, but a good starting point to understand your options:

https://www.dansdeals.com/poin.....rael/
https://www.dansdeals.com/poin.....ts-3/

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 1:32 pm
boysrus wrote:
they are only worth more if you book your travel through chase ultimate rewards. The link to that is online when you re logged in to your chase account.

try it and see, msg me if you cant figure it out.

So if you transfer your ultimate rewards points out reserve and Sapphire are technically worth the same?

boysrus

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:
So if you transfer your ultimate rewards points out reserve and Sapphire are technically worth the same?

no, not at all.
sapphire reserve is worth much more than sapphire preferred.
if you or your husband has a saphire reserve card, then you can transfer all of your ultimate rewards points from sapphire preferered, sapphire, freedom adn freedom unlimited into the reserve card account.Thats what we do. Then they are worth much more.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 3:11 pm
boysrus wrote:
no, not at all.
if you or your husband has a saphire reserve card, then you can transfer all of your ultimate rewards points from sapphire preferered, sapphire, freedom adn freedom unlimited into the reserve card account.Thats what we do. Then they are worth much more.

How many credit cards do you have?

boysrus

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 3:16 pm
lol, I dont have all of those! but those are all of teh ones that you you can use to collect airmiles through ultimate rewards.
I have chase spphire preferred adn freedom (thats the one that has 5 x categories, it changes each quarter)
dh has sapphire reserve adn freedom unlimited (thats the one that gives 1.5 points on each dollar spent)
so between us we have all of those.

we have earned lots of airmiles and travelled for free with them several times over the past few years.

read up all the old credit card posts on dansdeals to get a better idea.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 3:42 pm
boysrus wrote:
no, not at all.

Again, why?

If I'm transferring to an airline partner, from the reserve to united airlines for example, I transfer 60k points to 60k miles. Same with preferred.

boysrus

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
Again, why?

If I'm transferring to an airline partner, from the reserve to united airlines for example, I transfer 60k points to 60k miles. Same with preferred.

yes in that case its worth the same .

but if you are redeeming for free airline travel on chase ultimate rewards, then spphire reserve is worth way more than sapphire preferred. and its generally better value nowadays than transferring it to an airline partner. Compare the flight you want on chase ultimate rewards to the number of airmiles and additional cost that the airline is asking. Most of the time you will see it is better value to redeem for ultimate rewards to travel overseas.

I cant comment about domestic travel, we mostly travel overseas to visit family, getting kids to EY for yeshiva etc

doctorima

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 11:20 pm
Yes Denim, you are correct. If you're transferring the points, Reserve and Preferred are the same (the no-fee plain Sapphire may not let you transfer out though). The benefit of Reserve is when using the points to purchase through the Chase travel portal, in which case they're value at 1.5 cents vs. 1.25 for the Preferred.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 10:20 am
boysrus wrote:
yes in that case its worth the same .

but if you are redeeming for free airline travel on chase ultimate rewards, then spphire reserve is worth way more than sapphire preferred. and its generally better value nowadays than transferring it to an airline partner. Compare the flight you want on chase ultimate rewards to the number of airmiles and additional cost that the airline is asking. Most of the time you will see it is better value to redeem for ultimate rewards to travel overseas.

I cant comment about domestic travel, we mostly travel overseas to visit family, getting kids to EY for yeshiva etc

My tickets were a few grand each. It was wayy more worth it to use miles.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 10:22 am
doctorima wrote:
Yes Denim, you are correct. If you're transferring the points, Reserve and Preferred are the same (the no-fee plain Sapphire may not let you transfer out though). The benefit of Reserve is when using the points to purchase through the Chase travel portal, in which case they're value at 1.5 cents vs. 1.25 for the Preferred.

Thanks.
Can I book with the ink Business Preferred? Or do I still need a Sapphire ?
(Meaning can I transfer from freedom to preferred and redeem it that way? Instead of freedom to Sapphire? I no longer have the sapphire, I downgraded it)

ces

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
Thanks.
Can I book with the ink Business Preferred? Or do I still need a Sapphire ?
(Meaning can I transfer from freedom to preferred and redeem it that way? Instead of freedom to Sapphire? I no longer have the sapphire, I downgraded it)

For transferring to airlines, that's fine. For booking through Chase, you'll get 1.25 vs 1.5 value. You can upgrade your Sapphire card to a reserve, book the tickets, and then downgrade it again. At most you'll pay a pro rated annual fee for a day or two.
In general, for economy tickets booked in advance you will do better using Chase to book directly (or Amex business Platinum if you have it) vs booking using airline miles

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 12:06 pm
ces wrote:
For transferring to airlines, that's fine. For booking through Chase, you'll get 1.25 vs 1.5 value. You can upgrade your Sapphire card to a reserve, book the tickets, and then downgrade it again. At most you'll pay a pro rated annual fee for a day or two.
In general, for economy tickets booked in advance you will do better using Chase to book directly (or Amex business Platinum if you have it) vs booking using airline miles

I don't have the sapphire anymore. I downgraded. Now I have freedoms and Chase ink Business Preferred. Can I use the ink to book?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics