Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Does your job encourage you to use your days off?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 7:49 am
I am lucky BH to work for a Jewish company that gives of the actual Jewish holidays and legal holidays plus vacation days.

Now that we are at the end of the year I can get paid for my unused vacation days. But I feel like I cheated my kids and family out of days that I could have spent with them.

Does your workplace encourage you to use your days off or is the culture still one that work should come first?

watergirl

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 7:57 am
The job I have now, yes, they encourage us to use our days. We have vacation days and personal time/sick days. Vacation is “use it or lose it” and personal/sick can roll over for 2 years. My work puts family first. I am very fortunate. Not a frum employer.

This is the only job that I have ever had with a policy like this. I had another job which gave no sick leave (we also got in trouble for not coming in when sick) and 1 week vacation, of which we could only take 3 days/nights in a row (it was a communality role in the frum community) and one other day, and at the end of the year we were paid for the left over 3 days. Another job that I had, also for frum people, we got no leave at all, and an hour of unpaid lunch a day - to which we had to ask before clocking out and was denied for the most part. If lunch was allowed, it was a black mark on us. We were supposed to eat at our desks while working.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 8:02 am
amother wrote:
I am lucky BH to work for a Jewish company that gives of the actual Jewish holidays and legal holidays plus vacation days.

Now that we are at the end of the year I can get paid for my unused vacation days. But I feel like I cheated my kids and family out of days that I could have spent with them.

Does your workplace encourage you to use your days off or is the culture still one that work should come first?

If you feel like you cheated your kids out of those days, why don't you put the extra funds in a separate account and use them for unpaid days off this coming year?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 8:11 am
Wow !! You ate lucky!! My job puts pressure on me if I take off.I even went to work with strep and took Tylenol to get through. They didn't notice and were just happy I came in.

I have sick days but they dont really let us"" use it. Also I have personal day but if I ask to take personal day, they usually deny me, so if I need take day for my child surgery, I don't ask, I just call in and say I'm not coming.

It is very stressful for me how they put job first then family. So, you are lucky if they actually let u take your days.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 9:20 am
I work for a very large company. Most of my vacation time goes to Jewish holidays. When I am able to save up a few days, it is generally not a problem to take off, as long as I can organize my work to get everything done. Sick time, vacation, personal days and legal holidays are all combined in "paid time off," or PTO, so I make sure not to let my balance go too low in case I get sick. We are encouraged to take off rather than spread disease, but to avoid abuses you need a doctor's note if you are out a certain amount of time.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 6:18 pm
I have the same as op. but my personal days aren't paid days, my vacation days are. I use a day here and there for family issues when needed. I don't feel guilty when I don't take them all.
They neither encourage nor discourage us to use our days. But never say no to a request unless too many people asked for the same time.

happyone

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 6:22 pm
As an employer, I encourage my employees to use their PTO. It prevents burnout and is necessary IMO.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 10:11 pm
Thanks for the responses would love to come work for you ^
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics