Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
3 year olds

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:09 pm
hi. My 3 yr old dd was in preschool but is currently taking a "hiatus" which seems longer then originally expected so I told her that she's in mommy school now.

I looked online and I see all these curriuculum, learning themes etc. Personally I feel like this isn't really necessary. She's three. I play hebrew letter memory, let her color in letter outlines etc. take her on errands, let her play both inside and outside, do art, read her books etc... it's just not in any particular pattern of now everything we do will have to do with the letter a type of thing or now we are learning all about farm animals

Curious other people's thoughts.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:18 pm
Does she know abc? Can she count to 20? These would be things I'd work on

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:24 pm
You don’t need to replicate nursery school. You do need to make sure she’s ready for kindergarten.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:27 pm
Does she know colors, shapes, counting, Numbers 1-20.
You can ask the child what she is interested in learning about
Then go to the library to learn about the subject, do crafts, sing songs.
IMO- themes at that age are used to increase vocabulary and world knowledge.

Don't forget to work on fine and gross motor skills

OutATowner

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:33 pm
The most important thing is her ability to follow age appropriate directions and complete tasks. While you are doing that you can teach her letters etc. But pre-student skills are a must!
I've had students come from home knowing how to read, but if they don't understand that they need to sit with everyone when Morah does circle time, it's very difficult for them to adjust.
Look up kindergarten readiness checklists. The themes and complex curriculums are fun, but not a must.
I would also recommend play dates to encourage sharing, taking turns, etc.
Eta: she's only 3? That's the year before pre-k? Don't worry so much about what she knows, but as another green said, develop her vocabulary. Read, read read! Repetition is great.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:36 pm
she knows, shapes, colors, I'm working on numbers but it's more informal. same with letters- I print out an outline say this an A she colors it in and says I'm done with A I want B now and I print up a B and so on. I feel confident that I'm "covering" the basics, it's more the themes that I hear about that I'm wondering about. I actually taught my older dc her abc's and then when she went in to what will be next year's grade in a different school and she was bored! The principal actually asked me at the interview why I taught my kid her ABC's! She told me not to teach her little sister that stuff so she won't be bored! I told her it won't be an issue in her new school.

Like I'll go to the library take out a bunch of random books- like right now some books we have out are about animals, about being grateful, staying calm, a biography of a random lady. I would imagine she would get the vocabulary, world knowledge like that wouldn't she?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:40 pm
she's in the first year of the three years of preschool, different communities label the grades differently.
She has an older sibling so she does get practice in sharing....

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 9:41 pm
so yeah Green. the fine and gross motor is actually what I'm more inclined to work on because to me those seem to be more foundational. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making stuff up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling