Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
What's the longest anybody here has a lap band?

ladYdI

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 8:57 am
How long ago have you had your gastric bypass surgery? Anybody around the 10 year mark? Would love to hear about your experience long term.

Violet123

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 9:12 am
I'm looking into getting surgery as well.
I believe there are many people that had the lap and removed and got the sleeve instead
I'm curious to know why you're writing about bypass and lap band but not sleeve?

ladYdI

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 10:28 am
I had my lap band done 10 years ago by dr. Kurian and think it is amazing! I list 110 lbs (slowly over 3 years) and look and feel great still 10 years later. I'm seeing less ppl banding and more ppl doing the sleeve or gastric bypass in recent years and wondering why. I also see ppl with the sleeve or bypass slowly regaining weight after 5 years. Would love to hear about ppl who are dealing with any of these weight loss procedures long term(over 8 years)

Violet123

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 10:57 am
So you're happy and wondering why people are going for the other procedures?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 10:59 am
I don’t know anyone who lost weight long term with surgery unless they followed a serious food plan committedly. I am on a waiting list but feel that as long as keto continues to keep me sane and committed to my plan, I’ll likely not do it.

Violet123

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 11:08 am
That's my question too.
How long is the longest they've been doing any of these surgeries?
I know people who did the lap band approximately 5 yrs ago,the sleeve approximately 3 yrs ago...
But no one really long term.
I'm also working towards it.
Tons of appointments...
But really nervous for short and long term effects

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 11:24 am
DH had the lapband done 9 yrs ago. Just lost like 90 lbs . He gained back everything plus some more. 4 yrs ago he removed the band and did the sleeve. Did not lose much and has a lot to lose. He did not and still doesn't make the best choices...

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 11:48 am
Violet123 wrote:

How long is the longest they've been doing any of these surgeries?

The lap band was in clinical trials throughout the 1990's and was FDA approved in 2001.

ladYdI

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 12:38 am
Is there somewhere I can connect with longer term banners? Online support?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 9:04 am
I did the band about 8 years ago, lost 90 pounds and have kept 75+ of it off (gained back about 15 in a subsequent pregnancy and have been struggling with losing it)

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 10:53 am
The lapland has been around for awhile and there are many people with great success stories. It is not a miracle, it is only a tool with which you have to work. If you eat well, and slowly and make the right choices, it helps get the weight off and keep it off. I have had mine for over six years. I lost the weight and I keep it off but every day is another day of making sure to eat properly. It is easy to cheat and eat around the lapland I.e eating chips and ice cream. It has curbed my interest in food and I do no doubt eat less. But it is still work. There is no free ride.

There has been a large increase in the bypass and the sleeve, though the long term results are not necessarily as good as the band. A big part of this push is because of the insurance. The lapland requires more follow up visits for adjustments and is thus more expensive for them. From what I have heard the sleeve does not last as long, as it can stretch or slip and is easier to "eat around"

rdmom

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:33 am
I have the lap band for over 10 years. Close to 11. I lost 75 lbs. kept most of it off. Right now I can afford to lose 10 lbs but I am ok where I am. I would say I am a success story for them. It was the best decision I ever made.

Do I make the right food choices? No. I can’t eat too much at a time. I love it. I can still eat what I want but just less of it.

Feel free to ask me anything.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:42 am
rdmom wrote:
I have the lap band for over 10 years. Close to 11. I lost 75 lbs. kept most of it off. Right now I can afford to lose 10 lbs but I am ok where I am. I would say I am a success story for them. It was the best decision I ever made.

Do I make the right food choices? No. I can’t eat too much at a time. I love it. I can still eat what I want but just less of it.

Feel free to ask me anything.

I'm trying to decide if I would be a good candidate. How much did you weigh when you got the lap band put in?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:50 am
My husband had it for 5 years before he took it out. It messed up his esophagus and gave him long term heartburn he can't get rid of.

ladYdI

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:52 am
Wow so the reason less ppl r doing the band is because of insurance?! That's crazy because honestly I believe it's a great long term solution. Can Anybody share long term results of sleeve or gastric bypass?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise