Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleeping schedule

myomi

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 11:18 am
I would really like to put my 3 month old baby on a sleeping schedule during the day,now he naps every so often for like 15-30 mins,I would love for him to nap 2 hrs in the morning at in the aftenoon(like 11-1) and 4-6...is this at all possible?if so any advice on how to do it?

1stimer

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 11:26 am
Some babies only sleep for 15 minutes at a time. I have such a one! Wink Although he is getting slightly longer, sometimes he goes for a really long nap - 45 minutes!

But some tips:

Put the baby to sleep in a darkened, quiet room.

Make sure he isn't hungry or in need of a diaper change.

Make sure he isn't overtired - put him to sleep at the very first yawn.

Good luck.

myomi

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 11:32 am
its hard to put him in a super dark room during the day,b/c the sun still shines thrugh his curtains,,someone told me to put him in his crib for 2 hrs,as long as he is not fussing,let him play till he falls asleep,even when he wakes up after 15-20 mins or so dont take him out,let him stay for those 2 hrs,,,,,but is that cruel?I mean I love him so much,I want him to know his mother will be there for him when he wakes up.as well sometimes he will yawn an hr after he wakes up in the morning...does that mean I should put him down? this ,morning I put him down about 2 1/2 hrs after he woke up.

1stimer

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 12:03 pm
Doesn't have to be a super dark room, just so that the light won't disturb him. I don't know about leaving him there for 2 hours, I wasn't (still not) very strict about imposing a schedule on him. I more or less let him fall into his own schedule. I guess it depends on how much his sleep schedule bothers you. I got used to it.

Most mornings my baby goes down for a nap about an hour after he wakes up.

myomi

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 1:10 pm
thats exactly like my baby,he wakes up at 7:00 or 6:30 has a feeding and goes back to sleep.if he doesnt fall asleep he will about an hr and a 1/2 afterh e wakes up.this morning he woke up at 7:00 and ate and we slept till 8:30 then I put him down at 11,he played and fell asleep at about 11:30 and slept till 12:20
I then took him out b/c like I said I cant have him just sit there,now he is playing and is in his swing,,,when should I put him down next?I plan on going out for a few hrs with him in an hr or so

1stimer

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 8:18 am
Sounds good to me. As long as he's not tired and your cool with it, stick with it.

frog

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 12:01 pm
after about 45 minutes of sleep babies (liek adults) come into a light sleep and its then that they might whimper a bit. If a mother is quick to go and pick up teh baby, he will not learn how to fall asleep again- into a deep sleep and he will not be getting all the sleep he needs. What is recommended is after 45 minutes let the baby cry till he falls asleep again. at about four months a baby should only be sleeping about 3.5 hours intotal in the day. My 6 month old has three naps. two of 45 minutes and one of two hours(at midday) she goes to bed happily and not over tired at 7.
best of luck

Rivk

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 1:00 pm
I found that my baby also took really short naps when he was young. But at around 5 months his naps got longer and more regular and predictable. Maybe that will happen to yours as well! Good luck!

myomi

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 3:22 pm
thank you so much for ur help,I really appreciate it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics