Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Questions about raise and salary

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Sep 14 2017, 8:29 am
When I was job hunting, imamother was invaluable, answering my questions and giving me tips and advice! I'm really thankful!!!

According to Glassdoor I am making the median for the national average but less than 7k for median in NYC (where I work)
I know I'm making way more than the person I replaced, meaning I am being paid nicely for my position.
When it's time for a raise, how much do I ask for?
I am BH doing really good at my job, so I have confidence going in.
I know that they are happy with me BH!
But u have no clue at salary negotiating! Or what's proper to ask!
I don't want to undercut myself. I also don't want to overshoot.
(I am not a newbie to working, but in my previous job I was one of those ppl who didn't ask for a raise in my many years of working, almost till the very end,)

Thanks all!!!

Eta: actually According to Glassdoor:

Your current pay is below your estimated Market Value.
-$9,662 (-14.9%)

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 4:29 pm
Bump

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 4:47 pm
you talk to whoever fills the company role as HR manager and ask about annual reviews and the company policy about raises, if there is one.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
you talk to whoever fills the company role as HR manager and ask about annual reviews and the company policy about raises, if there is one.

I know they have annual reviews and I also know that they give raises to valuable employees.

I am asking how much I can ask for.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 3:09 pm
Bump.

Does anyone have any advice/tips?!

cm

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 3:28 pm
I don't know, but think about these things while you figure it out:

What have you done to make the company more profitable? What would it cost them if you left? Is there a significant demand for your services elsewhere?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
I know they have annual reviews and I also know that they give raises to valuable employees.

I am asking how much I can ask for.

If raises are given as policy- then there is no need to ask.

Otherwise - you are ‘worth’ your market rate. Ask for a raise that gets you to that. To establish that - seek out another job.

How long are you at new job?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 6:14 pm
cm wrote:
I don't know, but think about these things while you figure it out:

What have you done to make the company more profitable? What would it cost them if you left? Is there a significant demand for your services elsewhere?

I took over someone else, and I am doing way more than they did. And my workload keeps being added to, which I see as a good sign. (I was told I was being hired as xyz.. there is a room for growth and they will add projects to my role if all goes well.) I think my value as an employee keeps growing, and I'm definitely a valuable member of the team. (My position can't he evaluated by how I made the company more profitable, I definitely make peoples life easier) as for your last question, I honestly feel that working at this job has opened doors for me, so yes. I learned a lot in the short time I am here (I don't want to leave, I really enjoy it)

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:
If raises are given as policy- then there is no need to ask.

Otherwise - you are ‘worth’ your market rate. Ask for a raise that gets you to that. To establish that - seek out another job.

How long are you at new job?

I didn't say it's a given. You have to ask.
I know they give to valuable employees.

The Market rate for my position varies, but I am making in the 10th percentile.
Can I ask for a 5-10k raise if that will bring me to market rate (is it laughable to ask for a 10% raise?)
I am asking about my first annual review, which is coming up.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 7:03 pm
My husband once asked for a 24% raise. He basically said look /I do this this and this and I'm very valuable to this company, currently this salary is not working. I need this to live or I will have to start looking for another job. They said hmmm ok we will talk about it at year end. He found another job. They counter offered very quickly.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't say it's a given. You have to ask.
I know they give to valuable employees.

The Market rate for my position varies, but I am making in the 10th percentile.
Can I ask for a 5-10k raise if that will bring me to market rate (is it laughable to ask for a 10% raise?)
I am asking about my first annual review, which is coming up.

My DH worked for a firm with lots of employees. He said the norm to request is between 5% -10% and 10% is already considered high and not really done. He worked in the accounting dept and worked with HR and did payroll for over 200 employees. That's he knows what the percentage is.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 11:31 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
My DH worked for a firm with lots of employees. He said the norm to request is between 5% -10% and 10% is already considered high and not really done. He worked in the accounting dept and worked with HR and did payroll for over 200 employees. That's he knows what the percentage is.

Thanks!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 11:34 am
Anyone else? I'm quite nervous abt this..
Any tips how to bring it up, and what to say, and I also need to know what is ok to ask! (My previous job didn't exactly give raises, and I had to her for that extra dollar after years of working there, so I don't have experience of doing this in a professional environment)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics