Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby Girl Name after Infertility in Israel

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 5:47 am
My husband and I are expecting a baby girl G-d willing and are brainstorming names. This baby was conceived after years of tefillot and IVF. We really want the name to reflect the emunah we learned to have throughout this process (and that we wish to carry down to our little one), as well as the thankfulness that we have to Hashem for this beautiful gift. We would like a name that is not too common, but also won't stick out as weird or ugly. We're olim and therefore are totally oblivious to what names are common or pretty or trendy to Israelis. We are in a DL community and are baalei teshuvah.

The names we are considering are:
Hodaya (but I'm learning that this might be a really common name here?)
Emunah
Nesya (I llke the meaning but don't really love how it sounds)
I also love the name Matanya, but unfortunately that's a boy's name I think?
The names Netanya and Raanana I think are beautiful, but I would never be able to name our child after a nearby city

Any thoughts on the above names or any additional ideas? Thanks you imamother brainstormers!

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 5:53 am
Annaelle
Eliana
Hallel is used for boys and girls

byisrael

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 6:19 am
Hillali
Shai Li
Yaheli

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 6:20 am
Emunah Tehilla

shevi82

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 10:24 am
op I think you meant Renana which is happiness and song it is different then the city Ra'anna and is a beautiful name.
In hebrew it is spelled רננה while the city is spelled רעננה.
Other similar names are Rina or Roni.
Besha'a Tova!

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 10:56 am
Another vote for Eliana
I really wanted to use that name after secondary infertility but DH wasn’t a fan
I think it’s a beautiful name

etky

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 11:30 am
Odeya/Odelya - close to Hodaya in meaning but not quite as commonplace
Tahel as a variant of Tehilla.
Tagel- a variant of Gila and appropriate because of the bracha שוש תשיש ותגל העקרה
Tahel and Tagel are more current versions of Tehilla and Gila among DL.
I also like Roni and Renana as others suggested.
Hallel or Halleli are also nice, modern and appropriate.
Perhaps also consider giving the name of one of the biblical women who went through infertility.
I have a Hanna and a Rachel, named after my mother and grandmother respectively. The names however are doubly significant to me because of my own fertility struggles.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
Another vote for Eliana
I really wanted to use that name after secondary infertility but DH wasn’t a fan
I think it’s a beautiful name

We named our daughter Eliana after PIF. love it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 1:03 pm
Here are names that were on my list after IF:

We love Eliana, but it is actually not so familiar to Israelis, and they often think it's written אליאנה rather than אליענה, and have deemed it an American name, but it is beautiful, in meaning and sound, and you can definitely use it. Anael is the somewhat more common very Israeli equivalent.

Bracha, Tehila, Hallel, Tikva, Emuna, Nechama are all names that convey the meaning you may be looking for, though Bracha / Tikva / Nechama are really not common in DL circles. Hallel, Tehila, and Emuna really are quite common, but for good reason.

Hodaya is quite common, but beautiful. Odelya is less common with a similar meaning. Odeya is even less common with a similar meaning. I even know a Todaya (similar meaning again), though I think her parents made up the name.

If you want a name that means happiness, there are many to choose from!
Renana - again, diff spelling and pronunciation than the city
Roni - a very popular girls name these days, both in DL circles and secular circles
Gili - not so common, exists in both DL and secular circles
Avigail
Chedva
Rina or Gila (really not common in DL circles)
Tagel - not common (and I believe a different name Tahel mentioned below means to radiate light, not related to Tehila - it is beautiful, but may not be what you are looking for)

I love Nesya, it's not so common. Shyli means gift of G-d, I know a few, both in secular society and DL society. I also know an Adiya (means jewel of G-d) - someone made up this name, I've heard it twice, both times in the context of a baby named after many years of IF.

Matanya is a boys name and Netanya wouldn't go over well here because it's the name of a city.

Keep in mind that any name that isn't particularly common can be used anyway. Or as a middle name if you are so inclined.

Let us know what you choose!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:00 pm
Elisheva - my G-d promised - is similar in meaning to all of the "G-d gave" boy names - Yonatan, etc. We named our daughter Nechama Elisheva - G-d promised comfort - and Elisheva also has the same gematria as "yemei simcha" - days of joy. We're also in Israel, and also waited years and did IVF. Other contenders were Tehilla, Shoshana, Avigayil, and Tzipora (for shiluach haken).

lockshen

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 4:30 pm
You can't go past Eliana in my humble opinion... meaning My
G-d answered. We have one Baruch HaShem and call her Ellie. Works so well in both Hebrew and English and she will always know how much she is was prayed for and how HaShem answered our prayers TG.

chagil

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 6:28 am
What did you choose?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names