Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you work if you werent actually walking away with a/t?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
Are you making $100 a week?
Why is that relevant? I am in Israel. Things are in shekels first of all, and second of all, everyone's expenses are going to differ. But what specifically 100 dollars?

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 2:17 pm
Raisin wrote:
Doesn't school in Israel end pretty early and parents need to pay for afterschool care?

If your pay is not going to childcare is it going to? Transport? Clothing? Takeout? Or is the pay really low?

I agree with the others - if there is room for advancement its worth taking. Or if it looks good on a CV as Ora said.
As I mentioned, child care is not something that we have to pay for anymore.
I mentioned that my take home salary is basically paying for after school activities (not needed but liked by said children) and my gas to and from work. There might be a bit left over, but not making anything over that.

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 2:18 pm
amother wrote:
If you are in Israel, isn't transport usually paid for under נסיעות?
Anyway, I would probably stay at such a job only if it would help my resume.
Transport is paid for but it is usually paid for in the amount of how much a bus would be to take to and from, and it is much less than gas for the month

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 2:19 pm
imasinger wrote:
If you haven't done so already, OP, you might try making a list of the pros and cons of staying at this job.

Given what you posted -- a pittance of income, no room for advancement, not much enjoyment of the work -- I wouldn't want to stay, even to fund an extracurricular that the kids are tepid about. But maybe there is more to the picture.
There is literally nothing else in the picture (what else would there be?)

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 3:51 pm
15+ years ago I gave up a job I enjoyed to stay home with my children. After babysitter costs I would be left with $35 per week. I have regrets about my decision, but it's too late for me now. This world is changing at such a fast pace. If I could do it over, I would keep my job even if it meant coming home with $20 a week. Because babysitter cost is a temporary expense.

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
your entire pay check was going to be eaten up and you would have nothing left to actually put away a month?

Eaten up by what? Mortgage? Tuition?
It sounds like you want to earn a high enough income that would allow for you to save up.
What are your options?

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
As I mentioned, child care is not something that we have to pay for anymore.
I mentioned that my take home salary is basically paying for after school activities (not needed but liked by said children) and my gas to and from work. There might be a bit left over, but not making anything over that.

Cut out the after school activities and put the money in savings?

ROFL

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 7:44 pm
Is the possibility of a raise or promotion there? If yes stick with it. If the job will only be paying for chugin and you can't see ant way to spin in to get more money I would reconsider. But if it gives you enjoyment it may be worth it. Only you can judge.

gold21

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 8:34 pm
If money is not a factor, and there's a very young baby at home- no, I wouldn't work. Not for my own good necessarily, but for the baby... because there is definite value in staying at home with young babies. I really believe in it. So, that's my answer.

If the youngest child in the family is a little older, say age 18mnths+, then I would definitely consider going out to work if the job has hours that work for my family.

(If being at home with a young baby is too stifling, there are many options to keep you busy if money isn't a consideration. Obviously, when money is a consideration, that's a whole nother story and a completely unrelated situation.)

Last edited by gold21 on Sun, Dec 31 2017, 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total

SavtaHelen

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 4:30 am
can't guess what is a/t??

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 4:38 am
SavtaHelen wrote:
can't guess what is a/t??
Anything = a/t

imasinger

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:31 am
amother wrote:
There is literally nothing else in the picture (what else would there be?)

OK, fine.

The other kinds of things I meant were:

- if you love the work environment, and are happy with the people

- if your children need the extracurricular activities, more than just for casual fun, either socially or emotionally.

- if you have a tough time being home with them after school

Etc.

Is it all or nothing? Can you find something to do part time, while they are in school, possibly working from home?

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 9:24 am
It's very unusual to come away with nothing, if you're not paying for daycare. We do have minimum wage laws.

What I would do would depend on how this unusual situation came to be.

Is driving just that expensive? Eg. are you commuting from Nahariya to Tel Aviv? If that's the issue, I'd ask if I could work most of the hours from home, and if the answer was no, I'd start looking for a job closer to home. Other options would be using public transportation and/or carpools, at least some of the time.

Is the after-school activity just that expensive? If so - does the kid(s) love it very much? If they absolutely love the activity and/or are very talented, I might think it was worth it - depending how many hours I was working. If the kid(s) didn't love the activity all that much, I'd see if they could do the same activity in a cheaper way (eg switching from private lessons to group lessons) or even switch activities.

Are you just working very few hours? Eg. 2-3 mornings a week? If so, I would keep the job (because it doesn't take that much time, and looks better on a resume than nothing at all) and look for something more interesting and/or with more hours and/or closer to home. It's usually easier to look for a job if you already have one.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 9:29 am
Honestly, though, this is such an individual thing. Personally, I plan to be in the labor market for the next few decades, so I'd put a pretty high priority on not being completely jobless.

But if the job was very boring, and very easy to replace, I'd consider leaving.

So basically, main questions:

- how easy is this job to replace? eg did it take you months to get a job, or could you easily switch to a similar job next week?

- are you learning any new skills at this job? is there any hope for a pay raise in the long term?

- do you want/need to work in the foreseeable future? (because if so, keep your CV in mind.)

- how much do you like/dislike the job? coworkers?

- how much do you like the activities you're paying for (for your kids), and if you didn't have this job, could you still afford them?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 1:56 am
walking away?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 3:41 am
I live in Brooklyn, I work from 9-5. I still didn't get money from Sept-Dec. Worth of $6k......and I am being taken advantage of. . . .

momX4

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 4:08 am
amother wrote:
I live in Brooklyn, I work from 9-5. I still didn't get money from Sept-Dec. Worth of $6k......and I am being taken advantage of. . . .

This is not legal or even halachically acceptable.

Please look for a new job. Get documents showing your hours so you can sue them.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics