Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Red Cross: smoke detectors

Big Mama

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 6:48 pm
I received a text and am wondering if it's legit. Does anyone have info about this initiative:
The Red Cross is offering to come to my home on Tuesay bet. 9-2 to install smoke detectors at my home.
I just want to know if this is legit because I'm uncomfortable allowing strangers into my home if it can end up hurting me in any way.
Have I been in violation of a law , by not having smoke detectors until now?
I wouldn't want to be slapped with a fine or something like it.
Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 6:51 pm
The boro park jewish community council and the council of jewish orgs (flatbush) have been offering this through the red cross.
Before you let anyone into your house, I suggest you call one of these councils and ask them if the information you have is correct and you can trust this.

ETA: I can't imagine that the red cross would send you a private text message! What was I thinking when I responded?
If you need detectors, call your local community council who has funding for this straight from the red cross.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 6:57 pm
I have no idea if it's legit, but please get yourself smoke detectors. Can't believe anyone would be without.

crust

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:24 pm
How does the Red Cross know that you don't have smoke detectors? Smile

Big Mama

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 9:29 pm
crust wrote:
How does the Red Cross know that you don't have smoke detectors? Smile

Could it be they got my number from COJO or one of those? I filled out a form at COJO or UJO (I can never tell the difference bet. the two) a long time ago. But I'm being contacted by the Red Cross directly and I do want the smoke detectors, but don't want to expose myself to a summons or some other beuracratic issues they may find in my home.
I know of people who had ACS come to their home and once inside they found violations. I'm not up for that kind of drama.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 9:41 pm
Big Mama wrote:
Could it be they got my number from COJO or one of those? I filled out a form at COJO or UJO (I can never tell the difference bet. the two) a long time ago. But I'm being contacted by the Red Cross directly and I do want the smoke detectors, but don't want to expose myself to a summons or some other beuracratic issues they may find in my home.
I know of people who had ACS come to their home and once inside they found violations. I'm not up for that kind of drama.

Did you fill out a from for detectors specifically?
How long ago?

jewish613

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 9:55 pm
Can you call the Red Cross directly to find out if it's legit?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 10:34 pm
If you did indeed fill out such a form a while ago then it makes sense. Sometimes it takes a few months until it gets approved. Did you write your cell phone on the form?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 10:42 pm
Ok. I filled out form online. Heard about it thru bpjcc. Just asked for name address and email. Around 2 weeks later they contacted me as they did BigMama. I responded it was not a good time(was that option 3?!) They sent another text a day or two later (I forgot.) It was a good time... They showed up as they said were very polite and courteous. In under 5 minutes put in 4 alarms. Left some interesting material...def recommend.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics