Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Master of the non-sequitor: speech problem?

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:34 am
My 4 year old has plenty of language and understands everything. You can have a conversation with him, for the most part. He plays imaginatively and all that. However, he doesn't always stay on topic. And I don't mean like in a broken-telephone way where tree turns into green turns into frog, I mean total non-sequitor where tree turns into car or something like that. The teachers have noticed it too. He also seems to be mixing up his wh questions, so for example he'll ask what when he means who, or he'll answer who when asked why. I'm just wondering how typical this is for his age. I don't expect a 4 year old to keep one train of thought for that long, but he doesn't seem to really keep it much at all. Also, I have other kids who have had language delays, he always was ahead of the curve and it was pretty obvious in comparison to siblings who had delays. I'm just wondering if this is something to be concerned about.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:37 am
I would have him evaluated for both speech/language and learning. At 4 years old I would want someone helping him with that. It's not off the charts worrisome but it is enough to warrant a look into. If you're in NY you should hurry over to your local dept of ed/committee on special ed office because if he is eligible for help it is best to start as much as possible before age 5 (technical bureaucratic stuff.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers