Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Homemade croutons

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 5:53 pm
Homemade croutons
Better than store bought

Bread, any (pareve) kind - can be leftover rye bread, challah from Shabbos, hot dog buns, or anything in between
Olive oil or other oil
Spices, to taste

You cut up the pieces of bread so that each piece is less than a kezayis (so you don't have to wash for hamotzie), discarding crusts (if you prefer), and put in a bowl with oil to coat and your choice of spices - salt and pepper, to start with, onion powder and garlic powder if you like a zesty taste, dill and tarragon and Italian spices if not.

Bake in a single layer on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes. Serve cold, with salad (or in French onion soup)

Store in a ziplock bag in the freezer. They don't have as many preservatives as the kind in the stores and mold quickly.

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 24 2007, 7:17 pm
yes good idea - I have done as well ... sometimes I will sautee garlic onions and celery and add to it ... but that is as a side dish ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes