Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is it possible to be influential without money or yichus?
Previous  1  2  3

crust

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 9:21 pm
simba wrote:
I don't know any huge initiatives made by wealthy, yichusdik people.
Maybe the movers and shakers go to them for money and a haskama. But short of that I am not sure what you are referring to.

Me neither.

OP can you please enlighten us?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 9:27 pm
op here. may be influential isn't the right word. it's more like having the established places take your opinion seriously. Yes you can start something new but that wasn't what I was referring to. This thread was helpful. It confirmed what I thought that yichus and money plays a role but so does "personality". A personality that my dh just doesn't currently have. He has the drive and the ability just not the charisma.
We are planning on either taking out Dale Carnegies book from the library or buying it/ Hopefully that will help some. Thank you.

crust

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 9:36 pm
amother wrote:
op here. may be influential isn't the right word. it's more like having the established places take your opinion seriously. Yes you can start something new but that wasn't what I was referring to. This thread was helpful. thank you.

Ok. I had a hunch that this is what you mean. Believe me I know what you are talking about.

Do you think they accept richies or yichus opinions because its good advice? Wrong!!

The yichus meklompersht established the establishment. Yichus now has power. Its his. He still needs money from the richies. The richies give the money because they need the recognition that the freindship with yichus brings them. And so the cycle goes.
Rare us there a yichus or a richie that stops to think about the toeles. Its all about money and power.
Here. I said it.

simba

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
op here. may be influential isn't the right word. it's more like having the established places take your opinion seriously. Yes you can start something new but that wasn't what I was referring to. This thread was helpful. It confirmed what I thought that yichus and money plays a role but so does "personality". A personality that my dh just doesn't currently have. He has the drive and the ability just not the charisma.
We are planning on either taking out Dale Carnegies book from the library or buying it/ Hopefully that will help some. Thank you.

There is actually a course that you can do in person, my dh is very shy and many years back while he was in Yeshiva he took it. He loved it!

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 9:50 pm
so the thing is my dh isn't shy. He's probably more comfortable in "his own skin" then anyone I know. He's the guest people have when they want company but don't want company if you know what I mean. He's just a real straight shooter and not the macher type. He's not in to "networking" and the like.

That's so sad that that people feel like rich people just want power from the mosdos. That's so not the way I was raised and so not my dh. And yes my grandparents were wealthy.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
so the thing is my dh isn't shy. He's probably more comfortable in "his own skin" then anyone I know. He's the guest people have when they want company but don't want company if you know what I mean. He's just a real straight shooter and not the macher type. He's not in to "networking" and the like.

That's so sad that that people feel like rich people just want power from the mosdos. That's so not the way I was raised and so not my dh. And yes my grandparents were wealthy.

Your husband sounds like a wonderful person. I don't understand why you are trying to change him to be more "influential"? Does he have a good idea that he is trying to pitch to a larger organization? Perhaps he can work on his pitch and presentation?

The average person is not super charismatic, but I firmly believe that with confidence and ambition, any person can accomplish anything.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 8:27 am
he is a wonderful guy, I feel very blessed. I'm not going to get in to all the "background" details. Lets just say that personally I have no problem with a quiet guy, think they make the great husbands Wink I appreciate everyone's feedback, thanks!

kjb

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 3:06 pm
High social status (of whatever kind) makes people influential. Its also liable to make them rich, even if they weren't in the first place: better job prospects, better business opportunities etc. The children of a highly respected Rav would be in a good position to make money in the frum community, if that's what they wanted to do. So they would then be rich, have yichus, AND be influential! No fair!!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics