Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What's the process of shipping a container to Israel?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 5:58 pm
Hey so we are finally getting ready for our final move to Jerusalem, we need to buy new furniture what's your recommendation buy in Isreal it ship? Please share your experiences.. thanks!!!

crazymom

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 7:21 am
Hi,
We are doing the same!

Process is:

Only take what you really need
Don't take big furniture

Call or email Shmuel Mantinband
Sonigo Movers
shmuel@sonigo.com
972 8 6111220

He will send someone over to assess the stuff you are taking.

He is great and does this for may years. Most of the people who made aliyah in my town used him with great results.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 7:37 am
How wonderful and exciting for you!!!!

We also used Sonigo and were happy.

Furniture and accessories are cheaper outside Israel.

Before bringing stuff, consider the size of your house and each room. Huge furniture might not fit.

Israeli twin beds are narrower than American ones. (European sizes are closer.) So if you bring American mattresses, you will need to bring sheets. Buy extras and bring for when they wear out.

Do bring linens and towels and baby equipment. Don't bring electronics. If you already own a home and want to bring a fridge, oven and washer/dryer (measure the entrance to the laundry area!!!) then go ahead. Otherwise, buy here so you can take advantage of the warranty. Definitely don't bring small American appliances. European ones are fine.

Sending a lift takes time, and it doesn't always get released immediately. Don't be shy about harassing the shippers. You don't want to get stuck paying storage fees. You will need furniture (or at least an air mattress and small fridge) until your stuff arrives. Also, be prepared for the movers to announce that they want to show up tomorrow at 7 am. If your house is a 4th floor walkup, or a truck can't get right in front of your house, you may have to pay the movers extra.

crazymom

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 3:10 pm
I received another referral from someone who made aliyah:

Strand Freight

Garreth

Garreth@strandfreight.com

I am going to call them too, just to see what comes back.

See you in Israel!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 3:17 pm
Get several quotes, preferrably from people who have personally used them.

Avoid Rainier Movers like the PLAGUE!

Pack your own breakables. Movers never honor insurance, will delay forever, and then tell you it took YOU too long to file. If something breaks, at least you can just be mad at yourself. It's easier to accept than if a stranger breaks your stuff. BTDT

It will take about 3 months for your lift to arrive. Longer if there is a port strike, and those happen about twice a year. Figure out if you need to rent or borrow furniture when you arrive, and make arrangements to have it delivered to your apartment.

I didn't pack anything that needed electricity, so I wouldn't have to deal with current converters. Give all electric stuff to friends or hold a yard sale.

Pack up anything that is really good quality, like professional cookwear and solid wood bookshelves. These are expensive and hard to find over here.

If you have some favorite comfort foods that are shelf stable, pack a box of those, too. I cannot find boxed macaroni and cheese here, no matter how hard I look. It's just not a "thing"!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions