Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How do you spell
Previous  1  2

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 4:00 am
shanabanana wrote:
Aharon Yehuda Leib (after R'Shteinman)

Apparently he said he'd rather people don't name after hhim although if they do they shouldn't be stopped, just in case anyone cares!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:03 am
Aharon (Hebrew)
Aaron (French)

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:19 am
Isn't Ahron or Aron just plain wrong? It's Aleph-Heh-Resh-Nun, and there's a patach below the Aleph and the Heh, and a cholam on top between the Resh and the Nun. So it's Ah-ha-rone.

This is a name from the Torah. How is it okay to just drop a syllable?

Am I the only one who gets upset about things like this?

salt

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:24 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Isn't Ahron or Aron just plain wrong? It's Aleph-Heh-Resh-Nun, and there's a patach below the Aleph and the Heh, and a cholam on top between the Resh and the Nun. So it's Ah-ha-rone.

I quite agree. It's one thing in speech, when the syllables get slurred, say Aaaron instead of A-ha-ron, or Yuda instead of Ye-huda, even though I don't like that either.
But to spell it like that in the first place is just silly.
There was once a thread here asking what people prefer, Yehudit, or Yudit - well Yudit is just not a name.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:49 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

OP here. I actually never thought about that, because all the Aharons I know actually do pronounce their names "Aron" (or Aron Dovid or Aron Tzvi or Aron Yuda as the case may be). But you're right, and no you're not the only one who gets upset about it. I never thought about it for Aharon, but it annoys me to no end when people say "Avram" when they clearly mean Avraham.

Aharon it is, then, I think.

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:56 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I spell it Aron. We call the kid Ari. You can do Chaim Aron....

Ditto

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. I actually never thought about that, because all the Aharons I know actually do pronounce their names "Aron" (or Aron Dovid or Aron Tzvi or Aron Yuda as the case may be). But you're right, and no you're not the only one who gets upset about it. I never thought about it for Aharon, but it annoys me to no end when people say "Avram" when they clearly mean Avraham.

Aharon it is, then, I think.

I'm delighted! (I am also so annoyed when people say Avram. That's even worse, because Hashem specifically changed Avram's name to Avraham. It's like we're citizens of Charan / Ur Kasdim if we say Avram instead of Avraham.)

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 5:44 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I'm delighted! (I am also so annoyed when people say Avram. That's even worse, because Hashem specifically changed Avram's name to Avraham. It's like we're citizens of Charan / Ur Kasdim if we say Avram instead of Avraham.)

True story that happened to someone I know:

His parents named him Avrum and called him Avi. When he was engaged, the mesader kedushin insisted on checking the kesuba before the wedding to make sure everything was in order. When he (the rav) saw the name Avrum written out he said that it's not allowed to name someone Avrum when Hash-m changed the name to Avraham. So the chassan had to change his name. It turns out that it's a fairly simple procedure. He just needed to get an aliyah and be called up as Avraham rather than as Avrum.

salt

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 1:32 am
amother wrote:
True story that happened to someone I know:

His parents named him Avrum and called him Avi. When he was engaged, the mesader kedushin insisted on checking the kesuba before the wedding to make sure everything was in order. When he (the rav) saw the name Avrum written out he said that it's not allowed to name someone Avrum when Hash-m changed the name to Avraham. So the chassan had to change his name. It turns out that it's a fairly simple procedure. He just needed to get an aliyah and be called up as Avraham rather than as Avrum.

A kesuba is written in Hebrew. This means his name was actually written אברם on the kesuba?!!

I thought we were talking about mispelling Hebrew names in English - but to actually misspell in Hebrew, is another level Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names