Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Did you raise your cleaning lady?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
No that’s the norm in northern New Jersey too, about 100-150 a house flat rate.

You do realize that north Jersey has much higher prices for all kinds of labor than almost anywhere else in the country? Don't you think that plumbers charge more in certain neighborhoods? They do.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
A law made to benefit those who are breaking the law. And zero chance of being enforced. Both ridiculous and worthless.

I know a yeshiva that was sued by its illegal Spanish workers. I think they were sued for not being paid time and a half for overtime but I'm not sure. There are lawyers who are looking for cases out there.

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:22 pm
amother wrote:
I know a yeshiva that was sued by its illegal Spanish workers. I think they were sued for not being paid time and a half for overtime but I'm not sure. There are lawyers who are looking for cases out there.

And there are illegals who make up fake crimes to try to get papers.

unexpected

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
Guyana and Gaum are different countries. Gaum is a US territory. Guyana is not.

Thank you

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
Technically, a routine cleaning woman is an independent contractor, not an "employee."

If she was an employee, you'd have to withhold from her "paycheck," so the question would be, why do one thing right (follow minimum wage law) and not another (withhold law).

I did a paper in college on independent contractors versus hired employees. It's not quite that simple. In any case, if someone is an independent contractor, the concept of minimum wage would not exist.

I would also like to respond to an earlier post about how little minimum wage turns out to be - there are a lot of points missing in her scenario. First point - this person would get programs such as food stamps, Medicaid and heap, when you add it all up, it adds quite a bit of money. Second point - earned income credit, which can give some families as much as 12,000 dollars yearly, paid for by yours truly. Third point - in a family of 4, there should be two adults working, so times that number by two. Fourth point - minimum wage jobs should, theoretically at least, be a starting point. There's nothing stopping anyone from going to school, or getting promoted, or whatever. So minumum wage doesnt have to be forever.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:42 pm
Squishy wrote:
We go through this on many threads. Illegals get free medical and dental care at least in my county. Indeed, we have medical tourism where people fly here for free medical and dental work. This is one of the reasons my county taxes are the second highest in the nation. I have said this before that it is unfair for local taxpayers to pay for the illegals. The burden should be spread across the nation.

The illegals come here and further exploit the local taxpayers by cramming so many people into housing that it is unsafe for our firemen. They illegally have multiple families sharing space which is against code. Speak up against this and you get branded a racist. Who pays for all the extra water and municipal services? It is once again the local taxpayers.

The local taxpayers pay to educate their children. ESL is expensive besides the fact it doesn't work. Their children get Medicaid, etc which the local taxpayers pay for.

This.

anon for this

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 4:33 am
Squishy wrote:

Dreamers are a net loss financially to that country and dreamer aged immigrants are 250 times more like to commit crimes like rape and murder. They are much more likely to be in gangs. They are not the peaceful educated population they are pictured as. Less than 2% are college educated.

Could you cite your sources for this? When you say "more likely", what do you mean? More likely than whom?

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 7:01 am
Squishy wrote:
And there are illegals who make up fake crimes to try to get papers.

I'd like to hear from any lawyers in this thread if winning any sort of suit (unless it's against the president in his official capacity, or against ICE) would help with that.

octopus

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 7:04 am
amother wrote:
Factoring the numbers of hours she actually works, and the total paid for the day - are you paying her 2018 minimum wage? The raise isn't something she is supposed to ask for - its your obligation to pay it.

You said minimum wage is 13.50? no I don't pay 13.50 an hour. And if I was an employer that paid by the hour, I would be docking her pay left and right. If this is so important to you why are you anonymous exactly? Who the heck am I talking to? You could just be some poster that riles people up. Do you have reading comprehension issues? Even the law makes a differentiation between employers (how many you employ etc.). And the law refers to businesses. I am not a business. And I don't have a continuous service on a daily basis. Honestly, I don't get you. I post under my sn and I'm not afraid to voice my opinions even when not popular. I don't have patience for people that are wimps and I probably wouldn't have been so nasty if I knew who I was talking to.

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 7:08 am
anon for this wrote:
Could you cite your sources for this? When you say "more likely", what do you mean? More likely than whom?

Of course I can cite my source. The immigrants are more likely than others of similar age.

It is not hard to figure out why they behave like animals and ignore the rules of law. I speak a reasonable Spanish. Way too many cleaning ladies tell me their boyfriends ( who they call husbands) wack them around. One of my cleaning ladies was missing her front teeth - both top and bottom from a punch in the mouth. She lives with multiple families. I can't imagine any kids can grow up normal in that atmosphere.

We really don't need to keep the imported criminals and give them special protections like reducing their crimes so they won't be deported.

anon for this

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:10 am
Squishy, I'm confused. First you posted the following:

Squishy wrote:
Dreamers are a net loss financially to that country and dreamer aged immigrants are 250 times more like to commit crimes like rape and murder. They are much more likely to be in gangs. They are not the peaceful educated population they are pictured as. Less than 2% are college educated.

I asked for a cite, and you replied:

Squishy wrote:
Of course I can cite my source. The immigrants are more likely than others of similar age.

After you told me you could cite your source, you then repeated your assertion that immigrants are more likely than others of a certain age (to commit crimes, I assume). Then you segued into your experience with your many cleaning ladies, but you forgot to cite your sources.

I'm sure you wouldn't claim that Dreamer aged immigrants are 250 times more likely (than whom?) to commit violent crimes without some source. Also, I've read that the majority of DACA recipients are in college, which contradicts your claim.

Again, could you cite your sources? Thank you.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:21 am
Squishy wrote:

It is not hard to figure out why they behave like animals and ignore the rules of law. I speak a reasonable Spanish. Way too many cleaning ladies tell me their boyfriends ( who they call husbands) wack them around. One of my cleaning ladies was missing her front teeth - both top and bottom from a punch in the mouth. She lives with multiple families. I can't imagine any kids can grow up normal in that atmosphere.

We really don't need to keep the imported criminals and give them special protections like reducing their crimes so they won't be deported.

Wow! I work with minimum wage immigrants from Spanish speaking countries, most of them are really nice, decent people, the men and the ladies. And I've gotten to know some of their children, who seem like great kids. Some aren't but you can find that in any country, any culture, any color people. There are wife beaters all over the world.

I don't like illegal immigration, but most of the people who are illegal immigrants are decent people and hard workers.

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:31 am
anon for this wrote:
Squishy, I'm confused. First you posted the following:

After you told me you could cite your source, you then repeated your assertion that immigrants are more likely than others of a certain age (to commit crimes, I assume). Then you segued into your experience with your many cleaning ladies, but you forgot to cite your sources.

I'm sure you wouldn't claim that Dreamer aged immigrants are 250 times more likely (than whom?) to commit violent crimes without some source. Also, I've read that the majority of DACA recipients are in college, which contradicts your claim.

Again, could you cite your sources? Thank you.

I can cite my source.

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:35 am
Notsobusy wrote:
Wow! I work with minimum wage immigrants from Spanish speaking countries, most of them are really nice, decent people, the men and the ladies. And I've gotten to know some of their children, who seem like great kids. Some aren't but you can find that in any country, any culture, any color people. There are wife beaters all over the world.

I don't like illegal immigration, but most of the people who are illegal immigrants are decent people and hard workers.

You can find nice people in any culture. Talk to prisoners and they charming. They don't call them cons for nothing.

We really don't know if most illegal immigrants are decent hard working people. The cleaning ladies seem like hard working people. They came to this country fruadulently. They associated with criminals to get here. They have babies out of wedlock. They lie to get free services. They don't pay taxes. They don't follow local laws. They have illegal businesses.

Does that make them decent people?

Last edited by 33055 on Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:35 am
Squishy wrote:
I can cite my source.

Please do.

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:37 am
Squishy wrote:
I can cite my source.

Go ahead.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:49 am
Squishy wrote:
You can find nice people in any culture. Talk to prisoners and they charming. They don't call them cons for nothing.

We really don't know if most illegal immigrants are decent hard working people. The cleaning ladies seem like hard working people. They came to this country fruadulently. They associated with criminals to get here. They have babies out of wedlock. They lie to get free services. They don't pay taxes. They don't follow local laws. They have illegal businesses.

I know lots of frum people who came to the country fraudulently, especially in the older generation, who had to lie to get out of Europe or the Soviet Union. Some countries are dangerous places to live and you need to lie to escape.

Lots of frum people lie to get services and don't pay taxes, ignore local laws, and even have children without getting civilly married.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:00 am
Raisin wrote:
I know lots of frum people who came to the country fraudulently, especially in the older generation, who had to lie to get out of Europe or the Soviet Union. Some countries are dangerous places to live and you need to lie to escape.

Lots of frum people lie to get services and don't pay taxes, ignore local laws, and even have children without getting civilly married.

Squishy has been very vocal about such frum people also.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:05 am
Raisin wrote:

I was thinking about this before you posted it. We all know that many frum communities have this shtick also. Where most people are paid under the table, businesses practice pay discrimination regularly (men get paid the most, then married women, then single “girls”, etc), and the points that you mentioned as well. Also language - we all know that many people dont learn English in many schools and dont get a basic education. There are theads upon threads on here about it. And organizations working to stop the poor level of education - which enjoys funding from the state! KJ has one of the lowest poverty levels in the country and among the highest percentage of govt benefits, yet they enjoy a very high standard of living. How?

There is an “us” vs “them” mentality. Double standards. Sure, some of “them” commit violent crime. And yes, most of “them” are nice and hard working. Can the same be said of “us”? We commit crime also. Some violent and yet usually unreported because its “mesira”. Want to talk about how “they” cram 11 kids into small apartments and mess up traffic flow, like was mentioned upthread? Wasnt the same complaint made against developers in Monsey who built huge multi family homes with either no permit, or a permit which was given due to heavy bribes?

I’m just thinking that there seem to be parallels.

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:06 am
Squishy wrote:

None of this makes them indecent people. They are desperate, trying to escape the crushing poverty in their home country, many of them work very hard to be able to send money home to their families while surviving on very little.

Having babies out of wedlock while against our religion, isn't considered indecent in the rest of the world. Not paying taxes, illegal businesses, lying to get free services, some of them are probably don't know better, some come from countries where there aren't local laws to follow, and most are trying to survive and support their families while making minimum wage if they're lucky. It's wrong and illegal, but it doesn't make them bad people.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics