Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Girls school monsey
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 7:28 am
The honest answer is none. Girls schools in Monsey are really inadequate. The ones that focus on middos tend to have terrible educations. The ones that focus a little more on education treat their students horribly. There is not a single school in Monsey I would recommend.

Best of luck on your decision.

A former YSV graduate who suffered greatly at the hand of many teachers who are still teaching but not have no business teaching.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 7:31 am
How chasidish? The litvish schools are not chasidish at all. I didn’t have one girl in my class with a father with long peyos, or a mother who was identifiably chasidish in any way.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 7:36 am
There are chassidish kids in BY Chofetz chaim and in YSV, although both are Litvish schools.
There's also Bas Mikra.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 7:46 am
Bas mikroh might be a good fit. Some chassidish & some Litvish. Chofetz Chaim might also be good. Both don't have a pre school.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 7:52 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Also people seem to be happy lately with Bnos Derech Yisroel. I think they have changed a lot for the better. They are a heimish/ Chasidish geshtimt school with decent education as far as Chasidish schools go.

Bais Yaakov Chofetz Chaim geared to litvish/ heimish and sefardi crowd

BDY worst school ever. I know personally of the hell they put parents thru. One kid was kicked out because her mother was wearing pink nail polish another friend of mine went down for an interview was told that her daughters future looks like she’ll be riding a motorcycle because the mother wears a long wig and had recently started driving. The school originally started for families who are chassidish but more open minded at this point it’s just as strict as any satmer school.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:11 am
amother wrote:
BDY worst school ever. I know personally of the hell they put parents thru. One kid was kicked out because her mother was wearing pink nail polish another friend of mine went down for an interview was told that her daughters future looks like she’ll be riding a motorcycle because the mother wears a long wig and had recently started driving. The school originally started for families who are chassidish but more open minded at this point it’s just as strict as any satmer school.

Why does pink nail polish make them worst school.ever. They are a chassidish school.if you can't conform, you belong elsewhere.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:23 am
Amother, pink nail polish doesn't belong in a chassidish school. BDY allows driving if the mom always drove. They don't allow moms that want to send there just because they want to drive.
OP claims she's litvish, litvish doest belong in BDY.
I think you would do well in Bas Mikroh, but good luck getting in. Does you're DH wear a shtreimal?

Last edited by Blessing1 on Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:26 am
Bdy is so not against nail polish or driving! Everyone there wears polish and drives.

There must have been way worse issues if those girls were thrown out. They don’t throw out unless there’s something very serious.

I know the school very well from the inside...

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:36 am
amother wrote:
Bdy is so not against nail polish or driving! Everyone there wears polish and drives.

There must have been way worse issues if those girls were thrown out. They don’t throw out unless there’s something very serious.

I know the school very well from the inside...

Everyone? Not really. Some people might wear, but you can't wear colored . That is explicitly against school rules and if you wanna wear obviously colored nail polish don't send there. Actually this year they prohibited nail polish in general, but if it's very clear or light and you can't really see it then I don't think they make a fuss.
Most mothers drive.
It's a great Chassidish school. While they may have one or two fathers without shtreimels, it's definitely not Litvish and not for OP.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
How chasidish? The litvish schools are not chasidish at all. I didn’t have one girl in my class with a father with long peyos, or a mother who was identifiably chasidish in any way.

What school was that?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:17 am
He doesn't wear a shtreimel or a long jacket in the weekdays. Long peyos rolled up behind ears and pinned up beard. I know that we could fit in to either ysv, bas mikroh, bycc, bais rochel or bdy. My question is in which one will my daughter get the most well rounded education, and in which one will she grow as a precious little girl and have her spirit and her soul nourished. Also we don't speak Yiddish so don't know if that would work for bdy.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:44 am
Litvish schools in general have better education than Chassidish schools although Bais Rochel has a pretty solid education and BDY high school takes regents so they're solidifying theirs. But I imagine YSV and BYCC are on a higher level of education.
About your other question. Most schools have all types of girls graduating. A love of Yiddishkeit comes from the home. From my experience.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:03 am
Bais Rochel by now is very chassidish. They learn in yiddish so if you don't speak Yiddish it's not for you.
Bas Mikroh is a great school parents are extremely happy there.
Note that there are politics & issues in every school.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:11 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Bais Rochel by now is very chassidish. They learn in yiddish so if you don't speak Yiddish it's not for you.
Bas Mikroh is a great school parents are extremely happy there.
Note that there are politics & issues in every school.

I grew up in an English speaking home, my mother didn't know any Yiddish and I went to a Yiddish speaking elementary school and picked up the Yiddish immediately . The same holds true for my kids. We don't speak Yiddish at home and all my boys did well picking up the Yiddish without any difficulty.

tobee

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:16 am
U need a litvish school. Unfortunately, in monsey there isn't much for those in between. All the litvish schools have a great education system in place.Chofetz chaim is great! small classes,great girls but the owners run the school so there might be some friction. Ysv is a nice mix but there r kids who have TV's at home if that's a problem for u. There is a yeshivish class though. Bas mikroh is great too,a bit more yeshivish. Don't know enuf about the new bais yaakov, heard nice things and seems a bit more yeshivish too. But I know that there aren't enuf schools in Monsey. I heard the new bais yaakov had 150 applicants this year- there are 55 children with siblings in the school and 60 spots so only 5!!! new parents got in. Of course if u have 'pull' u can get in anyway.hatzlacha.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:34 pm
If you could get your children into Bais Rochel, go for it! It's not primarily chasidish, I believe at least 50% is yeshivish at this point... They give the girls a very solid education in both limudei kodesh and limudei chol, and have very experienced and professional teachers. Additionally, the girls have a blast, as they have plenty of extra-curricular...

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
The honest answer is none. Girls schools in Monsey are really inadequate. The ones that focus on middos tend to have terrible educations. The ones that focus a little more on education treat their students horribly. There is not a single school in Monsey I would recommend.

Best of luck on your decision.

A former YSV graduate who suffered greatly at the hand of many teachers who are still teaching but not have no business teaching.

OP,

Would you consider leaving Monsey for a good education for your daughter?

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:44 pm
Squishy wrote:
OP,

Would you consider leaving Monsey for a good education for your daughter?

If the OP is willing to consider sending to a school out of Monsey but accessible from there, she'll have more options as well.

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:46 pm
Maya wrote:
If the OP is willing to consider sending to a school out of Monsey but accessible from there, she'll have more options as well.
That's what I meant. I would have done that if things were different 10 years ago.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:57 pm
Squishy wrote:
That's what I meant. I would have done that if things were different 10 years ago.

I thought you meant the OP should move out of Monsey.
I agree with you.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics