Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Save $$ don't shampoo hair
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 9:21 am
I'm just offended that they've taken on the title no-poo. That's saying that those of us who do put you know what in our hair Wink

Barbara

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 10:15 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It really depends on what type of hair you have. YMMV.

Most people don't go no-poo for financial reasons, but because they are not getting the results they want with shampoo, or they want to avoid chemicals.

I went no-poo for several years, when my hair was past my waist. It worked really well, until I got a yeast infection on my scalp shortly after I got married and was covering full time. I ended up cutting my hair to shoulder length, and using a prescription shampoo. Unfortunately, it messed up my scalp PH, and made my hair all greasy again.

When my hair was uncovered, it always looked gorgeous with no-poo. I was telling a friend of mine about it, she's a cosmetologist. She was like "No way, that is so gross." and then she grabbed my head and sniffed my scalp! shock Then she looked up at me, and said "You smell nice! How does this work?" LOL

I'm actually thinking about going back to no-poo once I go through my bottle of shampoo. I've already started watering it down quite a bit. If you do the transition gradually it works better than going cold turkey. If I get dandruff or yeast again, I'll make a big batch of neem tea, and rinse with that. It works SO much better than the harsh prescription stuff. (Neem kills lice like crazy, too. I love the stuff.)

This community http://no-poo.livejournal.com is a great place to ask questions and get ideas. All the people there are very nice and helpful.

Out of curiosity, do you also not use soap on any other parts of your body?

Its a misnomer to say that you wash your hair. What you're mainly doing is washing your scalp (skin), removing accumulated sweat, oils, and environmental pollutants. And, of course, the hair goes along with that. So, if simply rinsing with water, as was advocated in the original article, is effective to remove those from the scalp, which is covered by hair, it should be equally good to remove them from all other parts of the body. Or am I missing something.

Also, if you don't believe that sufactants in shampoo are necessary to remove oils in the scalp and hair (and the environmental pollutants and just plain dirt that stick to these oils), then do you believe that they are necessary for other cleaning tasks, such as washing dishes? If you do use soap for cleaning these other things, can you explain why soap is necessary to remove dirt from e.g. plates, but not from the hair or body.

Thanks.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 10:29 am
Not washing hair often enough is a listed cause of fungal infections of the scalp. I know a little boy who developed a fungal infection on his scalp. It was really, really gross to look at, and probably uncomfortable for him too. His parents had to shave that part of his head and he couldn't wear a hat to cover it either while it was being treated. It took a couple of months to clear up. I know for a fact that this boy was not bathed often enough, especially his hair.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 11:40 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Not washing hair often enough is a listed cause of fungal infections of the scalp. I know a little boy who developed a fungal infection on his scalp. It was really, really gross to look at, and probably uncomfortable for him too. His parents had to shave that part of his head and he couldn't wear a hat to cover it either while it was being treated. It took a couple of months to clear up. I know for a fact that this boy was not bathed often enough, especially his hair.

Mileage varies for often enough. I know that I had no great angst as a teen during the 9 days as I had such thick dry hair (scalp?) I could easily go the week without.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 11:50 am
yo'ma wrote:
If I didn't wash my hair, after a week I would be able to squeeze my hair and deep fry....ewwww!!!

And now, with this heat, yes heat, I wouldn't be able to go two days.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 11:56 am
yo'ma wrote:
And now, with this heat, yes heat, I wouldn't be able to go two days.

Revisit this in 6 months, if Moshiach hasn't come yet Very Happy

ruti13

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 6:56 pm
Been doing baking soda for washing and an apple cider vinegar rinse for about 4 months now. My hair has never looked better! I add a little essential oil (the same one I use for perfume - it smells SOOOO good!) to the ends afterward and it smells great! Really love doing this and my hair has never been healthier Smile

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 7:05 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm just offended that they've taken on the title no-poo. That's saying that those of us who do put you know what in our hair Wink

The term no-poo makes me think of this Muppet Show sketch:

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:01 am
Eww

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:11 am
amother wrote:
Eww

Ya - I can just imagine what their hair smells like 4 years later.

happyone

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:11 am
Rolling Eyes no thanks. I have other ideas for saving money. ShAVE YOUR HAIR...
And like others said.. nopoo will be the up and coming birth control.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:58 am
Barbara wrote:
No thanks.

Hi Wave welcome back

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:29 am
amother wrote:
Hi Wave welcome back

This thread is from 4 years ago.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
Ya - I can just imagine what their hair smells like 4 years later.

Closest we can get is to scratch and sniff this screen Wink
Can't believe it's been 4 years!

rgr

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:53 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I've put apple cider vinegar in my hair when there were lice scares.
But wow, I'm just imagining what I'm gonna buy a year from now with all the savings from the 79 cent VO5 shampoos we won't be buying.....

So, PF, what have you been doing with the savings....4 years later?

Are you a millionaire yet?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:18 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I didn't really notice when it got greasy or even had an oily-scalp smell. But DH's chin is level with the top of my head so he notices it a whole lot more than I do. I'm glad he felt comfortable asking me and I'm totally not offended.

Don't you FEEL when you're dirty?!

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:21 am
This thread has made me lol.

Sometimes I skip washing my hair when it is so cold and I am too tired to blow dry my hair before going to sleep.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:56 pm
rgr wrote:
So, PF, what have you been doing with the savings....4 years later?

Are you a millionaire yet?

Uh...I can't exactly say I'm part of the movement Tongue Out

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 7:06 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
actually, I can believe this working well. I have stopped washing my hair more than once a week

I wash my hair less frequently than that, like once in two months.
I had horrible hair as a teenager, and maybe because I washed it so often.
My hair is nicer now in my forties than it was in my twenties and thirties, and I think it's because in the past year or two I've been washing it very infrequently. And of course I don't use a blow-dryer.

my mama

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:01 pm
Just as a PSA from someone with really oily hair. Washing it out with used coffee grounds, in addition to shampoo, is the only thing that cuts the grease.
I usually only do it before 3 day yom tov though because of the hassle
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics