Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Congenital Hypothyroidism

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 11:50 am
Anyone here have a child born with this condition?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 12:01 pm
my brother was born with it. Other than remembering to take synthroid its really no biggie.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 12:23 pm
My brother was born without a thyroid. B"H they test for that at birth. It hasn't affected his life that much. He takes synthroid, which is a synthetic thyroid hormone. As a child, and especially during puberty, he needed to see an endocrinologist regularly to make sure he was taking the correct dosage. Now as an adult he goes once a year to make sure he's on track. He is happily married with a beautiful family.

As my mother says, if you have to be born with an issue, this is one of the best ones to have because it's so easily treated.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:56 pm
Thank you for your reassurance.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:01 pm
My baby thats 3 months old was also diagnosed w it. Shes on synthraroid on the lowest dose...what # tfh does ur child have?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:
My baby thats 3 months old was also diagnosed w it. Shes on synthraroid on the lowest dose...what # tfh does ur child have?
I know I sound like a terrible parent, but I don't know what his levels are. His levels started out normal and his TSH kept going up and his T4 kept going down. He is 1 month old and was just diagnosed. I am worried that he was diagnosed too late, since I read that treatment should be started within 2 weeks. He is receiving 1 1/2 pills of the generic every day.
How long did it take for the medication to start having an effect?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:27 pm
I started her meds @ 2 months since she was diagnosed with it at that age. ..my pediatrician did the test twice before sending me to an endo. I was ther last week...# is bh gr8...a little too low..so he told me to skip the meds 1x every week. ..well recheck in 2 months iyh...shes bh up to par w her milestones.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:42 pm
My dd that is now 3.5 has this. She takes synthroid everyday. Calls it candy.

It's sweet. She is doing exceptionally well. Like another poster said this is the easiest condition that is congenital and treated so easily.

Children with this condition are known to be delayed in speech. So if u notice it then give her therapy so she can get the help she needs.

Dd gets speech. Doing well bh. The teachers were worried in the beginning of the year because she had a hard time speech wise but she's coming along nicely.

Was diagnosed at 1 week old. Started meds right away.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:20 pm
My 6 year old has it too. Found out at 10 days old. All it really means is blood tests every six months, sometimes more often. He is a normal (very) active boy doing very well for his age bH.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
My dd that is now 3.5 has this. She takes synthroid everyday. Calls it candy.

It's sweet. She is doing exceptionally well. Like another poster said this is the easiest condition that is congenital and treated so easily.

Children with this condition are known to be delayed in speech. So if u notice it then give her therapy so she can get the help she needs.

Dd gets speech. Doing well bh. The teachers were worried in the beginning of the year because she had a hard time speech wise but she's coming along nicely.

Was diagnosed at 1 week old. Started meds right away.

When did u realize that shes delayed in speech? Did she understand what was told to her? What was her tsh level at birth?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics