Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Did you every fly Spirit Airlines
1  2  Next

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:06 pm
Is it as bad as the reviews make it seem like?

And what about safety?

Thanks so much. They have really good prices.

benny

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:09 pm
I have. Safety is fine. Not much room to move, and they charge you for every little thing so in the end it doesn’t necessarily come out cheaper. If you’re going with the shirt on your back then it’s one thing. You will need to pay for hand luggage which many other airlines don’t. And I think they may charge for drinks though I don’t remember for sure.

happyone

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:09 pm
I've used them many times. Good airline. Zero extra service. You pay for everything including handbag. Prices are right and ive always felt they safe and professional.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:10 pm
Everyone flies them once. Only once. Never again

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:12 pm
Yes, years ago. They were no frills before the other airlines were. They charged for drinks, bags, food, and squashed more seats together for a more uncomfortable ride, way before any other airline did. Their planes were old. I paid a lot when I used them (twice, both last minute flights, only ones available). It was awful.
Today everybody does this. I wonder if they're still worse than everybody else. I would think so.

happyone

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:29 pm
Just flew one way with Spirit and back home with Delta and had worse experience and less comfortable ride with Delta.

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:32 pm
They nickel and dime you for every little thing. Didn't come out so much cheaper in the end.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:32 pm
Yes. A couple of times when I was a broke student and even then that was the last time.

If you think you're paying less, double check bc sometimes it equals out to a much better airline once you add a suitcase or even a carry on. I'm tall so the flight was terribly miserable and it was only a few hours.

Also, one of the times I took them for a morning flight, I showed up before their desk even opened. They finally showed up, checked us in, and then we didn't have enough time to get through security. We watched other people's airlines call them to the front of security but Spirit didn't. To make matters worse, we would have made it anyway, but they took off fifteen minutes early, probably because they overbooked and were full, and pushed us to the next flight.

If you're dirt broke and you must travel and you're not taking any bags or any luggage and will just grin and bear it for the entire flight.... Stay home anyway.

Last week, I flew for 25 hours on Cathay Pacific and I'd take another 25hr flight with Cathay over a three hour flight with Spirit any day.

ttbtbm

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:35 pm
I flew with them but was prepared. I knew exactly what I was getting into. I took very little along with me so that I wouldn’t have to pay for baggage/carryon fees, made sure to be well hydrated before leaving to the airport, and knew the seats would be cozy. Whoa, I didn’t realize how cozy! But everyone had a good time joking about it and since it was a short flight we survived.

happyfaces

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:43 pm
Yes I did since they had tickets for $40 to Miami. Know what your getting yourself into there seats don't recline. Some how the way took 1 1/2 hours longer then jet blue don't know why. Don't buy anything take along enough food in your carry on.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:04 pm
Yes, for a quick day trip where I didn’t need to take more than my purse. Worked out fine

esther990

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:26 pm
Purchased tix twice. Never flew. They canceled. Not worth it.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:34 am
You also have to pay extra to sit next to the person you're traveling with (unless they're under 10)!! Of all things, that got me the most upset! Also, the luggage weight limit was 40, instead of 50!

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:38 am
tichellady wrote:
Yes, for a quick day trip where I didn’t need to take more than my purse. Worked out fine

I think for a quick commuter flight (NYC to Buffalo, for example), it's probably worth it.

For anything much longer, it's probably not.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 4:45 am
I have relatives (one family) who who use them a lot. They live OOT and like to travel often for every simcha, plus vacation, some yomim tovim, and sometimes just to visit. It really adds up, so whatever inconveniences there are is worth it just so they can travel affordably. They also search repeatedly and wait till they find the best price.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:43 am
Their prices are really good for a reason. You get what you pay for. I would never fly with them with children, it's not worth the misery. But I have flown with them alone a bunch of times. I'm ok with subjecting just myself to the lousy experience for a few hours to save a few bucks. If you're willing to make that trade off, it's really fine. Just go in knowing you're getting what you're paying for. Expect nothing beyond getting from point A to point B and you'll survive the experience.

simcha2

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:47 am
We actually liked them. If you join their $9 club the extra fees are discounted. They fly from Atlantic city which is a tiny airport so so easy to navigate. The seats don't recline but for a three hour flight to Florida who cares. The staff on the plane have always been super friendly and chatty with dd and ds which they love.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 8:17 am
pesek zman wrote:
Everyone flies them once. Only once. Never again

Not me, I heard so many horror stories that I've refused to fly them even once, even when their listed prices were much cheaper than the big-name competitors. Nice to see that Dan agrees with me: https://www.dansdeals.com/poin.....rit/.

In answer to OP's question, are they as bad as people say? No, they're worse! To me, it's not worth risking an awful start to a trip to save a few bucks.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:23 pm
I flew them a number of times. Always happy. I just made sure I knew what I needed. I got a bag the size they allow for free. I fill my pockets with food and a water bottle. Only once did I pay for a bag and that was included in my calculations of the total cost.
I have found that their prices are not always the cheapest, so do your homework first.

SisterSix

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:17 pm
They cancelled flight on me within 24 hours, really left in the lurch, and not for weather or any good reason, I think the flight was too empty so they didn't wanna waste the fuel. Plus next flight they could put me on was several days later, and the customer service acted like this was totally fine and normal!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics