Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
California Vacation

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:33 pm
We’re both extremely overworked and desperate for a vacation. Would love to visit California in February, but no idea where to begin!

Please help the exhausted couple!
Thanks lots!

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:45 pm
Beverly Hills tour
Rodeo drive Segway tour - a ball of fun!
Warner bros studio
Universal studio - a must!
Disneyland
California adventure
Spa

You could also go to san Diego but not sure how the weather is this time of year.
San Diego’s safari
San Diego zoo
Sea world
Boat ride
Biking at beach

There is also Palm Springs that is supposed to be very nice and relaxing, but was never there.

Food:
Tierra sur - they also give winery tours
Shilohs
Pats
La gondola

Dairy:
Delice
Beverly elite cafe
Schwartz bakery

Last edited by HeartyAppetite on Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total

doctorima

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:47 pm
What do you like and want to do? Palm Springs would be my #1 option, with the best weather and a very relaxing environment. If you want more activities and kosher options, there's LA. In-between you also have San Diego, which is beautiful and lots of fun, but not as warm as Palm Springs.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 10:53 pm
We just did LA/Santa Monica /ventura. If you decide to do this, I can share more of our iternirary .

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
We just did LA/Santa Monica /ventura. If you decide to do this, I can share more of our iternirary .

Not op but can you share it?

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 15 2018, 11:30 pm
amother wrote:
Not op but can you share it?

Sure
Day 1, arrived, warner brothers studio tour, Burbank CA. Dinner at Pat's in Beverly Hills. Walked around Beverly Hills. Stayed at Residence Inn in Beverly Hills (like a block from shuls )
Day 2 Breakfast at Delice Cafe Hollywood Sign Hike, Griffith Observatory (did not like), Hollywood tourism, Museum of Tolerance, dinner at Bodhi Thai. Drove to Ventura, spent night at 4 points Sheraton of Ventura
Day 3. Ventura Beach and Pier, Oxnard Beach, Herzog winery including wine tasting, tour, and lunch at Tierra Sur. Drove along pacific coast highway, stopped for views, hiked Pont Dume (saw wild sealions), Santa Monica nightlife. Stayed at Meriden in Santa Monica.
Day 4, Santa Monica Beach, Venice Beach, Venice canals, Marina del Rey, lunch at pico cafe in Beverly Hills , La Brea Tarpits, The Grove, back to LAX Sad
I tried to keep it short but if you have questions, let me know.
As you can tell we are more ourdoorsy ppl.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:08 pm
Thanks for all the wonderful replies!

Now I need to figure out which part of California to go to! We have 5-6 days so we can probably have more than one destination...

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:37 pm
We did palm spring, LA and San Diego.

frumPA

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:43 pm
Amother puce was weather ok for beach? I see you did that alot and I would love to do that... I am not op but also going to LA with dh in Feb. Do you know of a specific location by beach to go to? Thanks.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:47 pm
For 5-6 days, you could do 2 places max, but don't try to squeeze in too much. If you're going in February, the northern half of the state will likely be too cold. Personally, I didn't love LA, so I would split my time between San Diego and Palm Springs.

If you appreciate LA, you could easily spend the whole time there. It also depends on if 5-6 days includes your travel days, or if that's how much time you'll be on the ground.

simba

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:
Sure
Day 1, arrived, warner brothers studio tour, Burbank CA. Dinner at Pat's in Beverly Hills. Walked around Beverly Hills. Stayed at Residence Inn in Beverly Hills (like a block from shuls )
Day 2 Breakfast at Delice Cafe Hollywood Sign Hike, Griffith Observatory (did not like), Hollywood tourism, Museum of Tolerance, dinner at Bodhi Thai. Drove to Ventura, spent night at 4 points Sheraton of Ventura
Day 3. Ventura Beach and Pier, Oxnard Beach, Herzog winery including wine tasting, tour, and lunch at Tierra Sur. Drove along pacific coast highway, stopped for views, hiked Pont Dume (saw wild sealions), Santa Monica nightlife. Stayed at Meriden in Santa Monica.
Day 4, Santa Monica Beach, Venice Beach, Venice canals, Marina del Rey, lunch at pico cafe in Beverly Hills , La Brea Tarpits, The Grove, back to LAX Sad
I tried to keep it short but if you have questions, let me know.
As you can tell we are more ourdoorsy ppl.

I'm so jealous. This sounds like a dream. I am trying to type that I am happy for you but I am really just jealous!

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 11:21 pm
simba wrote:
I'm so jealous. This sounds like a dream. I am trying to type that I am happy for you but I am really just jealous!

Sorry! It was a dream. It was supposed to be for a certain anniversary but had to wait 4 extra years. When it became reality, I planned and researched like crazy. I literally memorized the map of LA area including highways and surrounding cities before and checked driving times between different destinations at different times of day . There is more I did not even get to do Sad but it was great and we really maxed out.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 11:27 pm
frumPA wrote:
Amother puce was weather ok for beach? I see you did that alot and I would love to do that... I am not op but also going to LA with dh in Feb. Do you know of a specific location by beach to go to? Thanks.

We went in December. It was chilly in early am and late pm but midday was 70s-80s and warm and wonderful.
The beaches were really different one to the next. Ventura and Santa Monica had homeless ppl sleeping on the beach (seems like the locals are cool with that. Very let-live attitude out there) that bothered me personally.
Oxnard was beautiful and very quiet.
Venice was stunning and also hippie stuff on the Boardwalk. (Also walk to Venice Canals - must see!)
Marina del rey was more for water activities - bring clothing that can get wet/bathing suit/coverup, etc and you can rent canoe/paddle rafts, etc
The beaches along the PCH are stunning with mountains behind you and plenty of hiking trails but not like sand beaches.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:07 am
Amother puce....not to be nosy just want to know if this would work for ny budget. How much did this trip total you?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
Amother puce....not to be nosy just want to know if this would work for ny budget. How much did this trip total you?

All in everything $1000. Hotels were on points, got good plane tickets, car rental was cheap. Warner Bros was the only splurge.
I'm also from NY and on a budget.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:20 pm
Just remember that “sunny” California can be very chilly. Not by NY standards, but be sure to check the weather for the specific palces you will be. For instance, it can be far colder at the beach in Santa Monica than it is in Pico where the restaurants are. Pack layers. You will need them!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics