Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
When there’s multiple ways to spell a name

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 3:25 pm
And you’re not sure you like any of them. We’re thinking of שרה רבקה.
In English, would you spell that
Sara Rivka
Sara Rivkah
Sarah Rivkah
Other variations to suggest?
Also I need nickname suggestions. I’m open to calling her her full name, but I don’t like any of the spellings. I don’t like Rivkah without an h or Sara with an h or how it looks with one of each. I know...first world problems. My husband thinks I’m ridiculous, and I probably am, but please help.

crust

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
And you’re not sure you like any of them. We’re thinking of שרה רבקה.
In English, would you spell that
Sara Rivka
Sara Rivkah
Sarah Rivkah
Other variations to suggest?
Also I need nickname suggestions. I’m open to calling her her full name, but I don’t like any of the spellings. I don’t like Rivkah without an h or Sara with an h or how it looks with one of each. I know...first world problems. My husband thinks I’m ridiculous, and I probably am, but please help.

So what are your choices then?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 3:34 pm
crust wrote:
So what are your choices then?

I have to decide what I like or just listen to what people think is the most normal looking. It doesn’t matter much unless we call her the full name. Her birth certificate will likely only say her first name, but I still have to figure out how to spell it. That’s why I need help.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 3:48 pm
For the birth certificate Sara. You're not using a middle name on that so there's no problem.

Other than that try to just use the Hebrew. Whenever you have to use her middle name with an English spelling I do think it will look better with no H on either name.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 3:56 pm
Do the shortest, simplest version on all legal documents- it's the easiest and the simplest in the long run. With a name like sara I would put a middle initial as it's a very common name so it's better for legal purposes I think

Not what my parents did for me... and I'm to lazy to do all the paper work to change it

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 9:41 am
I think you could use an h for one and not the other - if I were to use that name (which is gorgeous btw), I'd spell it Sarah Rivka personally. And I know there's an author Sarah Chana (not Chanah) something.

As for nicknames, there are many. If it were me, I'd probably just combine them and say Sarivka or Sarivky. But there's Sari, Saraleh, Rivky, Rivkush Rikki, or if you want to use English there's Sally, Sadie, Becky.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names