Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yiddish names in Israel

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:55 pm
Are these names okay in Israel?

Leib
Mendel
Ber/Berel/Berish

Mindy
Liba
Tzirel
Aidel

They are all on our baby name list, but we live in Israel and I don't want to be too weird. And we'd most likely be using them only as second names, but I'm not positive about that.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:

Leib
Mendel
Ber/Berel/Berish

Mindy
Liba
Tzirel
Aidel

They are all on our baby name list, but we live in Israel and I don't want to be too weird. And we'd most likely be using them only as second names, but I'm not positive about that.

I have a cousin named Dov Ber who lives in Israel. Many of his Israeli neighbors refer to his wife as "Mrs. Ber" LOL they think it's his last name! I don't live there so can't offer any advice or opinion, but your post just made me think of that.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 1:59 pm
In my neighborhood they would be. Chareidi, a mix of Sefardi, Ashkenazi, Americans and Belzers.

shevi82

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:34 pm
Yiddish names are not commen by the charedi Litsvesh in Israel.

BH5745

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:

Leib
Mendel
Ber/Berel/Berish

Mindy
Liba
Tzirel
Aidel

Those are all beautiful names! Most people I know, family included, have Yiddish names... I know a lot of people with classic Yiddish names like Shaindel, Reichel, Lieba, Tzvi Hirsch, Leib, Dov Ber and etc. We live in Yerushalayim. Perhaps in more Dati or Hiloni areas one doesn't hear many Yiddish names, but if you are Haredi it's quite common.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names