Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Nervous- find out about sems tomorrow
1  2  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:39 pm
Seminaries are supposed to start sending out their acceptance letters tomorrow(at least the ones dd applied to) sooo nervous- all the whatifs going through my head. Competition is so fierce and so few spots. I would feel so sick to my stomach and she would be heart broken if she did not get accepted to one of the 3 schools she applied to. Don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight...

lucky14

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:12 pm
Good luck to you her! (and you Smile)

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:27 pm
Thanks!!

Petra

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:34 pm
Whatever happens is for the best.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:08 am
Baruch Hashem, DD was accepted to her first choice school. She has gone through so much through high school, bullying, finally figuring out she has dyslexia, learning new skills so that she can read. Going from a fifth grade reading level to high school reading. Finding a place in her heart to forgive the bullies. She is an amazing young woman. She so needed and deserved this acceptance.(not that others didn't). Phew sigh of relief.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:09 am
So happy for her! And you!

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:16 am
Thanks!!!!! Baruch Hashem is all I keep thinking.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
Baruch Hashem, DD was accepted to her first choice school. She has gone through so much through high school, bullying, finally figuring out she has dyslexia, learning new skills so that she can read. Going from a fifth grade reading level to high school reading. Finding a place in her heart to forgive the bullies. She is an amazing young woman. She so needed and deserved this acceptance.(not that others didn't). Phew sigh of relief.

Hooray
You must be so proud of her. May she continue to grow, in the coming year and beyond!

OP, forgive the following. I'm not trying to hijack but I'm sure your thread is going to attract other mothers in the parsha this year, so I'm going to share our experiences in the hope it helps someone.
I've been through this with my kids. We've had didn't get accepted anywhere, got in to one, got in two/both. In a way, the last was hardest. Having a decision is an incredible brocha, but I remember one painful case when there was such a $$$ differential that we had to choose dd's second choice, which, b"H turned to be for the best. She was so glad to be there and realized this after the first week.
As far as not getting into any, we also have the great bracha of involved principals, who would have helped push her into one of the seminaries, but instead recommended some place that for various reasons we hadn't considered in the first case, that was also, b"H the best place for her.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:48 am
I'm so happy for you OP that your daughter got accepted into the place she wanted. Especially that she's been through a lot to get where she is today.

Sorry to hijack but this whole seminary situation is pure Rishus to put the girls through. I don't even know where to start.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:07 am
I am glad u hijacked and shared your experience. The more information people have the better. it is an incredibly stressful time period. I am so glad u had the support u needed and things worked out in the end. It's all in hashems hands. That is what my DD kept saying. I am so thankful to have imamother and all the great advice and chizuk. I hope nobody felt I was trying to gloat.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:12 am
I love to and am so happy to hear positive updates to threads and I'm really happy for you OP. I don't have daughters that age yet, but can't fathom how stressful this is to put girls through.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:09 am
I remember when I didn't get into seminary, one of my teachers told me that Hashem must want me to be able to know the feeling of rejection, and that now that I know the feeling, I should never have to experience it again!

Two weeks later I got in on pending. I always appreciated that message, and I can't think of any rejection I've experienced since then B"H.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:14 am
Oh Chayalle! thank you for sharing this! Not quite the same, but my daughter didn't get into overnight camp and I have been struggling with how to discuss it positively - probably because its hurtful to me too so I'm not sure what would be helpful for her to hear. Your comment really gave me a nice way to look at it. Now I'm looking forward to when she comes home today Smile

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:38 pm
Thanks, OP. I don't think anyone thought you were gloating. It was bracing to hear about a girl who faced challenges and landed on her feet.
Rejection from seminary wasn't easy. Living OOT we didn't have to face figuring out what to do for high school, it was just a matter of moving to a different wing in the building. Like Chayalle said, this was prep for life.
And amother seagreen, hugs, and may you find the right words. My kids were never rejected from camp, but we did apply too late for someone one year, can't remember the exact details. There was nothing personal about the rejection though. This is tough. I hope that you find a really wonderful program for her this summer and that she's so happy there that she really appreciates the words of Tehillim, "Ata tomech gorali."

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:41 pm
amother wrote:
Seminaries are supposed to start sending out their acceptance letters tomorrow(at least the ones dd applied to) sooo nervous- all the whatifs going through my head. Competition is so fierce and so few spots. I would feel so sick to my stomach and she would be heart broken if she did not get accepted to one of the 3 schools she applied to. Don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight...

That happened to me unfortunately and I was the only one of all my friends not to be accepted. This was just the start to my reality. I went through the same rejection process when trying to get my kids into school. It's very painful but whatever happens please remember it's bashert. In hindsight not being accepted to the sem of my choice was a great blessing. It took me a few months of grieving but all turned out well in the end.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:44 pm
amother wrote:
Just saw this after I posted. Mazal Tov! May your daughter thrive and may she experience great growth!

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:45 pm
I experienced a very painful rejection from a camp I'd been to. It was personal--I was a nerdy insecure teenager who liked books more than ra ra things and the camp decided it wanted staff that was fun and cool. Eventually I was acepted and given a made-up job. While there I felt very unwanted,

Bh I grew out of my nerdiness went on to be extremely succesful in my field and married a gem of a boy. And when it came to getting my kids into schools they were accepted to the most prestigious places with no pull.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:22 pm
Rejection is part of life.

Not everyone gets into their seminary of choice, not everyone gets into their college of choice, not everyone gets their job of choice.

I don't understand all the drama (and didn't when I was at that stage either).

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
Rejection is part of life.

Not everyone gets into their seminary of choice, not everyone gets into their college of choice, not everyone gets their job of choice.

I don't understand all the drama (and didn't when I was at that stage either).

Its a part of life that really really stinks. Everyone has an ego.

Purple2

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:57 pm
Good point beige. People are quick to knock the “system” when a sem can’t accept every applicant. Welcome to the real world. Every university worth its degree has an acceptance standard. It gets more selective and competitive as you keep moving up to masters,PhD programs,and more prestigious universities.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children