Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
NYS high school diploma

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:15 am
Just curious on people's thoughts. Is it right for a school to withhold a high school English or regents diploma if the student didn't pass all Hebrew requirements?

I understand and respect the argument that the school does this so that the girls will be more "motivated" to pass Hebrew subjects.

But is it right to withhold the English diploma? An English diploma is needed to get into college and/or get a job, and a Hebrew diploma is worthless after a girl gets into sem.

Is it even legal? it's legal to withhold a diploma for failure to pay up tuition, but not sure if one fails Hebrew subjects.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:22 am
3.5 credits for the NYS highschool diploma (the regents diploma) are for 'electives'. Most Jewish schools are set up so those electives are 'hebrew' classes, no? Fail those - no diploma.

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:25 am
I'm not sure, but I believe you can contact the board of regents online to request a "lost" diploma.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:27 am
amother wrote:
3.5 credits for the NYS highschool diploma (the regents diploma) are for 'electives'. Most Jewish schools are set up so those electives are 'hebrew' classes, no? Fail those - no diploma.

"Heberew" meaning the language?

I don't mean that, because that's a fair subject for state credits. I mean any subjects ranging from Chumash to Dikduk to tefilla.

Purple2

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 6:31 am
Burlywood explained already that those credits would be for various Hebrew classes. It might be “bible”, Jewish law, etc... not just Hebrew language.

iriska_meller

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:03 am
Did the student have enough credits for a regents diploma, including world language and electives, without Jewish subjects?

nicole81

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:46 am
I can't comment on the legality, but if the student has absolutely filled all other NYS Regents diploma requirements at a registered NYS private school without question, you can transfer to a public school who will evaluate the transfer credits and graduate said student. This is assuming the school releases the official transcript.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:41 am
The student completed all English and regents credits, just failed a Hebrew subject.

The school won't release any transcripts unless all Hebrew subjects are "completed" and "passed".

Im trying to see this from both sides, but I'm thinking withholding the English diploma might be an aveira of withholding someone's job.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
Just curious on people's thoughts. Is it right for a school to withhold a high school English or regents diploma if the student didn't pass all Hebrew requirements?

I understand and respect the argument that the school does this so that the girls will be more "motivated" to pass Hebrew subjects.

But is it right to withhold the English diploma? An English diploma is needed to get into college and/or get a job, and a Hebrew diploma is worthless after a girl gets into sem.

Is it even legal? it's legal to withhold a diploma for failure to pay up tuition, but not sure if one fails Hebrew subjects.

Does the school grant two separate diplomas, one for limudei kodesh and another for limudei chol? If so, it would be inappropriate for the school to withhold one because of the other. But if the school only grants one diploma, and the requirements for that diploma are not fulfilled, then IMNSHO it would be appropriate to withhold. This is the case even outside of Jewish schools, where more rigorous schools require subjects in excess of state requirements. If the student doesn't fulfill the requirements, then they do not graduate.

The student may be able to transfer credits to a public or online school, a community college, or to get a GED. Also, I don't think that they can withhold a transcript, although they can say that the student did not fulfill graduation requirements.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
The student completed all English and regents credits, just failed a Hebrew subject.

The school won't release any transcripts unless all Hebrew subjects are "completed" and "passed".

Im trying to see this from both sides, but I'm thinking withholding the English diploma might be an aveira of withholding someone's job.

If the student has completed all credits and exams for the regents diploma (including the electives, which it seems aren't the courses she failed) - and the schools isn't releasing that diploma because of unrelated failed courses - that's totally unethical, and if I had to guess a threat to call to the government entity that granted the school the right to offer the regents in the first place would quickly fix this...

real israeli

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:04 pm
That seems very unfair. If she passed she should be able to receive a diploma. What does the school say? Why won't they release just the one she earned?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics