Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
LA Vacation

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 4:22 pm
Hi. I am iyh going to LA with my husband in Feb. I am looking for ideas for attractions. I have been to Universal studios and San Diego zoo so I am not really interested in doing that again. I have been to disneyworld in Orlando so dont think I would want to go to Disneyland either. I would be interested in beach/boating is it warm enough for that at this time of year? Any leads? I would want to go to an amusement park/theme park one day if anyone has any good ideas. We enjoy roller coasters. All recommendations much appreciated.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 6:58 pm
Sea World is great, and also look into Legoland, which is closer to LA. For boating, check this out: https://www.speedboatadventures.com/ (lots of fun, but check with them about weather concerns).

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 9:13 pm
Seaworld is open year round? I went to the one in florida so dont know if I should go? And legoland is for adults? I am not bringing kids... I was thinking maybe six flags magic mountain... thanks for the boating lead.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jan 16 2018, 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 16 2018, 10:07 pm
Seaworld is open year-round, most days 10-5. We've been to more than one Seaworld and really, really enjoy them. We took kids to Legoland but the adults definitely found it very cool as well. Here's a link to the rides, see for yourself if it's for you: https://www.legoland.com/calif.....des/. If the speed boats are open, they are tons of fun!

PS - your follow-up post isn't anon, if that's of concern to you.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 12:51 pm
If you like roller coasters, then Seven Flags which has many "thrill rides". It's easily doable for a day trip.

Weather in February can be iffy - it can be very warm or rainy. I am pretty sure they whale watch boat trips take place in February - so you would be a bit bundled even if chilly.

Venice Beach is always interesting - and is more of a walking thing than actually beach. If you are into biking, you can rent bikes because there is a bike path that goes quite far South. I haven't done it to the end needless to say but generally wound up in Marina Del Rey.

February can be good hiking weather or walking weather.

There are some very good museums if that's your thing and there is always entertainment of one kind or another depending on your tastes.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 3:19 pm
which museum would you reccomend?

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 4:00 pm
Getty has 2 great museums - the center and the villa.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 6:39 pm
In terms of museums, there are so many depending on what you are interested in - the LA County Museum has turned into a world class museum.

Pasadena has the Norton Simon Museum. Off beat but interesting to me is a tour of the Gamble House which was designed by the Greene Brothers and is one of the great examples of Arts & Crafts Architecture in the US. Fascinating especially the back story - it was the winter home of one of the Gambles - of Proctor and Gamble fortune. They were very forward thinking for their day in terms of taste and the house is just gorgeous - it's got some Tiffany and is just a fascinating example of how rich people with taste can produce beautiful stuff. You can combine with Norton Simon Museum.

Descano Gardens is a gorgeous botanical garden in the Pasadena area. It's interesting in terms of the foliage on the West Coast and has the largest camellia assemblage in the world. I believe February and March are the height of the camellia season here and it's a gorgeous spectacle.

The Museum of Tolerance is worth a visit if so inclined.

There are also some specialty museums - I.e. Japanese, Modern Art etc.

Most people seem to enjoy a visit to the Grove/Farmers Market and a walk around Beverly Hills. Needless to say, there is good shopping - albeit pricy there but Saks (for example) has great sales.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 10:44 pm
I love both Getty’s, the Annenberg space for photography and the broad.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:15 pm
Six flags has the best rollercoasters

A nice day could be the Malibu getty, fish grill in Malibu, Los liones Hike, lake shrine ( could also do less if you want to take things slower).

Another nice day:
Walk around silver lake, get lunch at by chloe, go to the broad, dinner at fleishiks, ice cream and sweet rose creamery ( they have pareve flavors) and walk around the grove

I like walking around the Venice canals, and around the Hollywood Hills ( separate areas)

Delice has amazing almond and chocolate
Crossaints and brioche. There is a great gelato place in the century city mall ( which is a very pretty mall to walk around or sit and has a movie theatre).

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 17 2018, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
Six flags has the best rollercoasters

A nice day could be the Malibu getty, fish grill in Malibu, Los liones Hike, lake shrine ( could also do less if you want to take things slower).

Another nice day:
Walk around silver lake, get lunch at by chloe, go to the broad, dinner at fleishiks, ice cream and sweet rose creamery ( they have pareve flavors) and walk around the grove

I like walking around the Venice canals, and around the Hollywood Hills ( separate areas)

Delice has amazing almond and chocolate
Crossaints and brioche. There is a great gelato place in the century city mall ( which is a very pretty mall to walk around or sit and has a movie theatre).

I like the food centric way you think :-)

The first time I went to San Francisco, my friend and I would plot out where we would go and the meals :-)

Don't miss the pretzel challah from Got Kosher on Pico. You can pick up good picnic stuff there and take it with you because it's generally warm enough to picnic al fresco in February if it's not raining.

Or the Kosher Thai place near Beverly Hills if you've never had Thai food is a nice change of pace from the run of the mill Chinese.

jade

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:02 am
Huntington Gardens is a cool place - there's an estate with woods/gardens and a museum inside with various types of exhibits, including some antique seforim from Europe. Santa Monica pier is also fun - there's a beach/boardwalk and an assortment of rides out on the pier.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 10:40 am
If you're going up to Oxnard and/or Santa Barbara, the Reagan Presidential Library is really well-done and is nearby, and there's also the Nixon Library not far from Disneyland.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics