Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would this test bother you or your child?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 10:37 am
dovebird wrote:
I loved these types of tests! For a few reasons : 1 the teacher never had patience to read all the answers so I was more likely to get a higher grade 2 I was able to explain myself and train of thought 3 most of the time there was more than one correct answer to the question- so even if I didn't write the answer the teacher wanted I got it marked correct. But 70questions is way too many. Unless it's like a whole day test?!

Not all day. Time allotted is 1.5 hours. The teacher is willing to continue proctoring past that until all students finish regardless of how long it takes.
Glad to hear you liked such tests though

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 10:40 am
Laiya wrote:
Seems like you're making the assumption that tests that don't require long answers are less academic or lower level. I wonder if this is a perception shared by others?

Most high-quality classes I have taken in university and high school had tests that required complex responses (essays, short paragraphs, working out full math problems, etc.).

Only the lazier teachers or teachers of really easy courses gave multiple-choice tests. I don't recall a single professor in university administering multiple-choice tests.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 10:40 am
amother wrote:
They are all write in no long paragraph answers all ranging from a few words to two lines.

Whew! Okay, I loved these kinds of tests. Way preferable to multiple choice. I thought you had meant 70 essay questions and was like whoa!

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:34 am
WhatFor wrote:
Whew! Okay, I loved these kinds of tests. Way preferable to multiple choice. I thought you had meant 70 essay questions and was like whoa!

The whole answer sheet was three pages. And I erred on the side of extra lines rather than not enough. Not all will be used. I would find it overwhelming. But I see I'm in the minority. I will text this to the teacher as soon as I can think of how to explain what imamother is Wink

Thank you for taking the time to share your input

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:38 am
I always preferred a mix of multiple choice matching and answering or filling in the blanks.
Even the regents exams had diff types of sections, and the ability to pick and choose long answered ones.
I agree that it's way too many questions, even in 1.5 hours.
Wow , so glad I'm not in high school anymore.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
Isn't the opposite true? Multiple choice and true/false questions allow for guessing and often don't demonstrate what the srudent really knows.

I’m not sure why so many people think multiple choice is easy. Most professional board exams are multiple choice. These tests are so hard, that people spend months/hundreds of dollars studying and reviewing for them.

rgr

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:49 am
Its ok for the test not to have a question on every single topic learned, even on a midterm/ final. They won't know which topics will be tested, so they have to study everything. She can explain that to the class at the test.

I don't understand people who are upset than that not everything they studied is on the test. Learning is for learning, not for the test.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:52 am
studying_torah wrote:
I always preferred a mix of multiple choice matching and answering or filling in the blanks.
Even the regents exams had diff types of sections, and the ability to pick and choose long answered ones.
I agree that it's way too many questions, even in 1.5 hours.
Wow , so glad I'm not in high school anymore.

I'm quite glad to be past that as well Very Happy

And apparently we liked the same type of tests also. But since there are so many on here that don't mind the writing, I guess it isn't so bad.

Regardless, I'm not a teacher nor did I make up the test in question. I was simply asked for an opinion on it. So I figured I'd find out if anyone shares my opinion. Especially because this will likely happen again final time.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:01 pm
rgr wrote:
Its ok for the test not to have a question on every single topic learned, even on a midterm/ final. They won't know which topics will be tested, so they have to study everything. She can explain that to the class at the test.

I don't understand people who are upset than that not everything they studied is on the test. Learning is for learning, not for the test.

How many high school students do you know who would learn for the sake of learning? Or study just for the knowledge? Most do it for the test and won't review information if not for the test.
And while I agree the test was too long if I spent time studying a topic, personally I'd be disappointed if nothing was asked about it because I'd want to show my knowledge! But if it's a choice of show what I know vs shorter test I guess shorter wins

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:18 pm
My two cents as a former teacher: mix it up. There should be a few one or two word answers, a few one or two line answers, and one or two essay questions. Ideally there should be some choice, but make sure that nearly all the material is covered. Different students do well with different kinds of questions. You want to test them all. An exam that's all short answers rewards rote memorization, but the really intelligent students will be shortchanged.

Laiya

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 12:25 pm
DrMom wrote:
Most high-quality classes I have taken in university and high school had tests that required complex responses (essays, short paragraphs, working out full math problems, etc.).

Only the lazier teachers or teachers of really easy courses gave multiple-choice tests. I don't recall a single professor in university administering multiple-choice tests.

Maybe this is true, that long and short answer questions are viewed as more challenging than multiple choice.

As another poster noted, many tests for professional certifications have at least a significant proportion of multiple choice questions, if not all, and they are certainly challenging.

I think there is potential for unfairness or additional challenge in both types of questions. I would think that if the test marks of the class represent a bell curve, that should be a reasonably good indication that the test was the right amount of challenging. (**referring to high school or higher, not elementary)

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 1:04 pm
All 70 questions will be of that nature? Well, umm, good luck grading all of those tests!

The tests I use have true/false, multiple choice, matching, diagram fill in, and short answers. Then again, these tests are geared towards 12-14 year olds, not high schoolers.

perquacky

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 1:31 pm
I probably would have done 50 questions, not 70. Easier to grade and less mentally overwhelming for the students.

Either way, I hope the test is open Chumash.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
I’m not sure why so many people think multiple choice is easy. Most professional board exams are multiple choice. These tests are so hard, that people spend months/hundreds of dollars studying and reviewing for them.

I'm pretty sure that the multiple choice on those exams is to facilitate easier and more standardized grading. (You just run the answers through a machine.)

I think multiple choice rewards ppl who don't know the answer at all by giving them an opportunity to guess at the right answer, and it potentially disadvantages someone who knows the material well by depriving them of the opportunity to explain their reasoning.

IMO, the more creative a person is, the more difficult multiple choice is, bc they can think of reasons why multiple answers can be correct.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 2:58 pm
perquacky wrote:
I probably would have done 50 questions, not 70. Easier to grade and less mentally overwhelming for the students.

Either way, I hope the test is open Chumash.

No open sefer. Though I doubt a sefer makes it less overwhelming when you see so many blank lines. I don't think I'd be less overwhelmed

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 3:24 pm
so now that the OP has said these are not actually long answer questions at all, I dont think 70 is too much at all.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 7:27 am
amother wrote:
I'm finding this really interesting. I didn't look at the long answers as a way to show how much they know.
Regarding the seventy - it is a test on several perakim in tanach (don't want to be too specific in case some of your daughters come home complaining in the near future). She said she couldn't do less since then she would be skipping entire topics. What would you suggest she do about that? It's done and was sent to the school by now. I'm asking firstly out of curiosity and second because in all likelihood this will happen by her final.

I don't think it's necessary to ask a question about every point in every perek. As long as students know that anything in the material being covered may appear on the test, and the teacher doesn't do something predictable that helps them learn what they can skip, they'll have to study it all.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics