Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Posts- PSA before the madness starts, we're different
Previous  1  2

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 7:35 pm
Wow I'm a conversation stopper

L25

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:11 pm
cozyblanket- I was in an irritable mood and I read your last post and it made me laugh to myself so thank you for the comic relief I really appreciate it Smile

to answer your question just ask your rabbi if there's anything you shouldn't eat, there are all sorts of minhagim but my guess is that he'll probably tell you not to worry about most of them since they aren't your minhag Wink the benefits of not having minhagim Wink

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:17 pm
L25 wrote:
cozyblanket- I was in an irritable mood and I read your last post and it made me laugh to myself so thank you for the comic relief I really appreciate it Smile

to answer your question just ask your rabbi if there's anything you shouldn't eat, there are all sorts of minhagim but my guess is that he'll probably tell you not to worry about most of them since they aren't your minhag Wink the benefits of not having minhagim Wink

You are very welcome. I have that experience on imamother often. I laugh at something when I needed a pick me up.

I will just leave the whole topic up to my Rav. I know he will say what is right for us.

saralem

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 8:44 pm
For those looking for non- broken hand shmura matza, I have found Chabad matza from Ukraine pretty reliable. Maybe because it’s made or packaged to be shipped to Chabad houses the world over.
Just saying..,

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:07 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
Thank you for posting!!

Now, if I could only figure out what our minhagim are! We r both Ftb from bt families so we don't really have minhagim. And now I am making my first peach at home this year!! In the past, we had whatever our families did bc oup was fine in their house and we wouldn't ask them to change for us. In our own home, we will probably change what we do somewhat...

I guess I have to make a list of sheilas for our rav who know us well. What do I ask other than matzah? Peeling produce? I feel like a total peach novice! Sorry to go on a tangent. I appreciate any one who can help me clarify the mumble jumble in my head.

Wow, hatzlacha on your first Pesach!
Now if I could pick and choose, I would definitely choose to "bruk" and "mish" (though we do eat some lightly processed products). I wonder if your rav would base his suggestion off your father's country of origin. Or your husband's father, actually.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:18 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Wow, hatzlacha on your first Pesach!
Now if I could pick and choose, I would definitely choose to "bruk" and "mish" (though we do eat some lightly processed products). I wonder if your rav would base his suggestion off your father's country of origin. Or your husband's father, actually.

Hi TW! What is "bruk" and "mish"?

See. I told you I'm a novice!

L25

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:34 pm
bruk means you mix matzah and liquid, think dipping matzah in soup, making matzah pizza. Mish means eating at other people's houses. Some people don't on pesach.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:44 pm
L25 wrote:
bruk means you mix matzah and liquid, think dipping matzah in soup, making matzah pizza. Mish means eating at other people's houses. Some people don't on pesach.

ah, Gebruks! I never called it "bruk." I guess I do have one minhag! We do "bruk." We make matzaballs and matzabrye, etc.

Mish - that is one of the shielos.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 5:12 am
cozyblanket, what are you? Chassidim, including chabad, have very strict minhagim on pesach. No gebrocts, only hand shmurah, peel everything, limited processed food. So some chabad BTs do everything, some less. I don't really know about other circles, eg very frum yeshivish people. I guess they might be very particular about hechsherim. I've heard some people don't eat chicken or fish. Lots of weird minhagim out there!

If you start off very strict its hard to go down. Also a lot of people allow their kids to eat things the adults don't.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 8:25 am
Ummm... Labels.....ok, I'm OOT yeshivish.
Not connected to Chabad or any other chassidus.

Don't worry. My Rav will know what to tell us. I doubt he will say no chicken.

Thank you!!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 9:30 am
Problem is when people push it on others, make it a competition, or a norm. If they enjoy making everything a struggle, let them enjoy it in silence.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 10:05 am
cozyblanket wrote:
ah, Gebruks! I never called it "bruk." I guess I do have one minhag! We do "bruk." We make matzaballs and matzabrye, etc.

Mish - that is one of the shielos.

IMNSHO, you and your husband should discuss your respective families' minhagin before approaching a rabbi. I mean, if your families eat gebrokts, why ask if you should adopt a different minhag? Same re, for example, peeling vegetables, or using processed foods. Unless you've completely changed communities. Once you know what your families have done, you can talk to a rabbi.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 10:25 am
SixOfWands wrote:
IMNSHO, you and your husband should discuss your respective families' minhagin before approaching a rabbi. I mean, if your families eat gebrokts, why ask if you should adopt a different minhag? Same re, for example, peeling vegetables, or using processed foods. Unless you've completely changed communities. Once you know what your families have done, you can talk to a rabbi.

Oh for sure. Sorry I wasn't clear. I was trying to say that is one thing we know. We will keep eating gebrukts. Just may be a different matzah etc. We will see. Pesach is such an adventure.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics