Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
My package came with extras

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 12:18 am
So I ordered a few things on Walmart website and got a message that my order is going to come split. I got one Walmart package today in a very large box. The receipt in the box was for a 4 pack of batteries. Batteries were there, but there was also a pack of 48 pads, which I didn't order and didn't pay for. The rest of the box was stuffed with packing paper. The receipt was the first thing on top of the packing paper when I opened the package. What do you think of this? Am I mechuev to call them? To return/pay for the pads? Were they trying to stuff the box with anything soft? They should have asked me , I'd give them some better ideas what to send me , lol. Anyone had something like this happen to them? Will appreciate your responses and advice. Thanks

Boca00

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 12:21 am
I recently ordered a headboard on Amazon and I got a wooden sign in the headboard box as well. I called Amazon but they were unable to trace who had returned the headboard with the sign and they told me to just throw it out.

I suggest you call and ask.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 12:30 am
I would just leave it. I don’t see why you have to waste your time for their mistake, and it’s not like it’s somrthing particularly valuable. Every time something like this has happened to me, they just told me to keep the extra thing or donate it

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 6:57 am
As tichellady wrote, when something like this has happened with a major retailer like Walmart or amazon, they have told me to keep the item. I can't imagine they would want to go through the administrative expense of having the item shipped back.

If I understand correctly, the receipt doesn't indicate that this was shipped.

I'm not sure if I would even bother to contact Walmart regarding a box of sanitary pads with minimal value because it was probably just a mistake by a low level employee and I would worry that there might be some kind of punitive action taken against the employee.

I would clear my conscience by donating the pads to a woman's shelter - there is a real need for sanitary supplies of all kind for poor women and I have a standing box that I keep and donate when it's full of supplies like toothpaste samples I get from my dentist or other items that for one reason or another have made their way to my house and which I don't want or need.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 8:01 am
Halachically, you are not required to contact Wal-Mart or return the item.

observer

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 8:55 am
Halachically you are not required to. However, if there is a small chance that it would make a kiddush Hashem, I.e., your name is recognizably Jewish or you explain that you are Jewish and therefore make sure to be honest, then it is a tremendous opportunity. They will probably tell you to keep it or donate it or discard it. But if you can make a kiddush Hashem in the process, that's awesome!

lfab

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 11:18 am
Yup, it's happened to me. When I've called or gone into a physical sow to try to give the items back I've always been told to keep the item.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 9:53 pm
I got a few extra clothing items with my Zara order. I called to return it, but they couldn’t figure out how, because they had no record of sending it to me. They told me to keep it because they wouldn’t be able to use it for inventory reasons when returned. I certainly didn’t need doubles of the clothing I ordered, but I didn’t have to return it.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 10:33 pm
Thank you everyone. I chatted with Walmart and they told me to keep it. That was on Friday. Over shabbos I received another package from Walmart and this one had two books of $2.00 stickers instead of one. If first time I was amused, it's becoming quiet annoying🤔

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 10:43 pm
Halacha: If the owner is Jewish than you need to let them know. If its not a Jewish owner than there's no need to.
If it's a pricey item and you let them know about it, I believe it's a kiddush Hashem. It's not worth their time and hassle to bother with a small tag item.

shluchamom

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 10:47 pm
Just make sure none of your credit cards got hacked. A relative of mine recently had a credit card hacked and a few packages came to their house addressed to them but apparently were ordered by someone else that thought they would intercept the package.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette