Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Question about conversion process
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 7:56 am
I was there for a friend. She was in a thick dress. Please don't feel the need to say it's not worthy because it's one of the most famous beis din.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 12:27 pm
The mikveh I went to had a window with shutters. They left the shutters closed and simply listened for the sounds of me dunking. The ML announced kosher after each dunk.

mirah2

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 5:15 pm
amother wrote:
For my conversion, I had to wear a very loose, long gown. I got in the mikvah with just the mikvah lady in the room, then the dayanim came in. I dunked once (can't remember whether it was once or 3 times) with the gown on with the dayanim and the ML watching, then the dayanim went out but were just the other side of the door. Then I took off the gown and dipped again with just the ML watching but the dayanim were listening for her to call "kosher."

Not going Anon because I'm open about being a giyoret.

OP, as you've probably figured out different Batei Din can have different procedures for female converts, there is no one rule. In my case (London Beth Din), the above is also what happened.

mirah2

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:
Did you - or anyone here that went through the process- feel uncomfortable at all?

I'm not sure why but I'm so curious about it. I'm a FFB woman. I seems like to me that the process goes against what we are used to in terms of tznius. I know that it's per Halacha so it's a good thing but I would love some clarification.

The way it was done in my case (see above), it felt quite tznua. The 'dress' I had on was a pretty solid, frumpy gown so I felt covered when the Dayanim were actually above me and talking to me (there's a whole final Q&A they did when I was in the water just before dunking, although of the type where I just had to answer 'yes' to the questions). It did feel a bit odd going naked in front of the ML after they'd gone out of the room, but not untznua as such. Remember that for me (and many gerim) this is the first actual experience of the mikveh so there isn't necessarily a 'lived' experience to compare to.

Volunteer

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:01 am
I was interviewed by the 3 rabbis in the mikva waiting room after I bathed and stuff. It was awkward sitting with them all wet, wearing a bathrobe with nothing underneath. Then I entered the mikva room with the mikva lady only. She gave me a white sheet (it might have been a tablecloth, actually) and told me to use it to cover myself, holding it loosely, while I immersed. I stepped into the water, and the beit din entered the room. A few problems became evident quickly. First, white fabric becomes translucent when wet. Second, the fabric sheet tends to trap air in its folds, so its parachute-like buoyancy prevents you from submerging yourself completely, or causes you to lose your loose grip on the sheet as you descend. After a few attempts, I just couldn't manage to immerse while holding the sheet. I decided that rather than take all day, and prolong the event, I would just let go of the sheet and hope it sort of stays in place. They really should have had a better system. I hope this is not the case, but I bet those rabbis saw more than they bargained for.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 12:08 am
Thank you everyone.

What I see from here is that everything possible is done to make sure they don't see, in varying ways.

This was eye opening for me so thank you for sharing.

mirah2

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:36 am
Volunteer wrote:
I was interviewed by the 3 rabbis in the mikva waiting room after I bathed and stuff. It was awkward sitting with them all wet, wearing a bathrobe with nothing underneath. Then I entered the mikva room with the mikva lady only. She gave me a white sheet (it might have been a tablecloth, actually) and told me to use it to cover myself, holding it loosely, while I immersed. I stepped into the water, and the beit din entered the room. A few problems became evident quickly. First, white fabric becomes translucent when wet. Second, the fabric sheet tends to trap air in its folds, so its parachute-like buoyancy prevents you from submerging yourself completely, or causes you to lose your loose grip on the sheet as you descend. After a few attempts, I just couldn't manage to immerse while holding the sheet. I decided that rather than take all day, and prolong the event, I would just let go of the sheet and hope it sort of stays in place. They really should have had a better system. I hope this is not the case, but I bet those rabbis saw more than they bargained for.

Sorry you had to cope with that :-/ Tbh I did have kind of romantic visions of immersing in a white gown, so when I was handed my (navy flowery) frumpy gown I did feel a bit disappointed at first. It was only when I was in the water that it occurred to me why white wouldn't have been a good option...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions