Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Mayonaise - HELP!!

mammale

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 2:01 pm
I just made mayonaise... First time in a while.. forget about the consistency - I don't have paitience to fix it.. ESP. cuz of the taste! The recipe called for mustard powder, so I put mustard.( I know it's not the same, bit it usually works well enough in other kinds of recipes...) I also used olive oil ( the only kind I have right now)... Any suggestions how to save it? Right now it is so strong and bitter...
Can I make it into a dip of some kind? Would adding honey make it palatable?
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 2:21 pm
I would boil up some red potatoes in salted water, cube them, and add, to the mayo mixture, more mustard, sugar, vinegar and some salt and pepper. Add cut up pickles or cut up eggs.. Potato salad.

mammale

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 2:26 pm
Yum! Great idea! Thanks:) More ideas are welcome too... I have alot!

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 2:43 pm
Avocado dip? High in calories tho

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 4:47 pm
when doing home made mayonaise I suggest a neutral salad oil, like canola or similar. olive oil not good for mayo in my opinion. I use french dijon mustard but regular mustard ok too. and I use fresh lemon juice, not vinegar.

mammale

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 6:12 pm
Thanks for the tips! regarding mustard you use the condiment mustard or the spice? - do find it gives the mayo a strong taste?

cbg

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 7:18 pm
I make mayonnaise and never put mustard.
I use the stick blender method.
Seasoned with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and sometimes fresh garlic.
The oil should be neutral tasting.
I use avocado oil, but it's expensive.

1 egg
1 cup oil
Seasoning to taste, 1 tsp salt, pinch of pepper, 1 tsp lemon juice.
Mason jar with wide mouth, make sure the blender fits all the way to the bottom
Stick blender.

To the jar add oil and seasoning.
Then add egg.
Wait until egg settles to the bottom.
Place stick blender to the bottom of the jar.
DO NOT MOVE THE STICK BLENDER, JUST LEAVE IT ON THE BOTTOM.
Start the blender and just hold it there until the mayo is made and all the oil has been incorporated.
If you still have oil on top but the mayo is too thick to allow it SLOWLY lift the stick blender until all the oil is incorporated.

Super easy, super thick, and you store it in the same container you make it so super easy clean up. Stick blenders are easy to clean.

mammale

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 7:33 pm
That is so neat. Sounds so much easier & faster than the standard pouring oil in slow and steady. I'm going to have to try sometime.
Right now I'm more wondering if there is a way to save what I made - I don't like throwing food out. Is there a way to balance out the taste or use it in something that can take the taste? Or do I just toss?

unexpected

Post Sat, Jan 20 2018, 10:48 pm
If you used extra virgin olive oil you will have to just toss...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 3:58 am
mammale wrote:
Thanks for the tips! regarding mustard you use the condiment mustard or the spice? - do find it gives the mayo a strong taste?

I use the condiment (I.e. the "spead" you get from your supermarket). I use very little, approx 1 tea spoon.

farina

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 5:47 am
Maybe fresh garlic and sigar can help w the taste and turn it into salad dressing

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 8:40 am
farina wrote:
Maybe fresh garlic and sigar can help w the taste and turn it into salad dressing

For this emergency siuation that OP has, it could work. But for an original mayonaise without emergencies sugar is a BIG NO-NO. Shame on you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics