Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you have to work while your kids have vacation now?

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 9:39 pm
I dont have vacation from work now but my kids have vacation from school. Anyonelse have this too?

Boca00

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 10:13 pm
Yes, it happens every time they are off (aside from YomTov when I'm off too).

BH this time they are only off Thurs-Mon so it's not too many days I need to make arrangements.

ontheotherside

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 10:26 pm
I’ve been working the last 4 Year’s and always had to work through their winter break (7 business days plus two weekends!) this year I’m taking a week off To go away with them.......

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 10:29 pm
Usually I have this problem, but this year I'm on maternity leave.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:59 pm
Yes

Not only are we not going away like their friends, but we don't have exciting day trips either. I don't mind but I feel bad for my kids.

I got some craft things for them to do with the babysitter. I got some yummy foods for lunch. I should do fun things with them when I get home at 3pm... Anyone, please feel free to suggest small outings we can do so late on the day...

I am pretty frum, but I think the schools should just give off at the end of December so it is a bit more convient for working parents.... Why is it so important to make a statement by giving off in January?

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 6:49 am
cozyblanket wrote:
Yes

Not only are we not going away like their friends, but we don't have exciting day trips either. I don't mind but I feel bad for my kids.

I got some craft things for them to do with the babysitter. I got some yummy foods for lunch. I should do fun things with them when I get home at 3pm... Anyone, please feel free to suggest small outings we can do so late on the day...

I am pretty frum, but I think the schools should just give off at the end of December so it is a bit more convient for working parents.... Why is it so important to make a statement by giving off in January?

Yes agree with u since parents need to work to pay tuition. Can you take them bowling or dave n busters/arcade games at 3. As an evening trip?

happyone

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 8:18 am
I go through this every year. If possible, I take one PTO day and go out with them. Other times I'll leave work early and do late afternoon activities such as plaster/glaze painting, shopping malls that are open late, restaurant for dinner, sleepover in hotel but I had to leave early am to get to work, evening trips to bowling or other activities . I found that letting the kids sleep late and then being fully there for them late afternoon / eve caused no resentful feelings. I find they sometimes end up doing more than their Friends that waste a day getting their act together and make plans.
Other times my girls made arrangements with Friends that proved to be more fun than mommy time. Another idea, depending on your line of career, and if your employer would allow, is to take ypur child to work to see what you actually do.

happyone

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 8:19 am
Tis the life of working moms.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 8:35 am
I just had maternity leave so I can't take off.

We bowled a lot in the summer with the kids bowl free program.... I will see if my kids sound excited about it.... I have a Dr appt with one child one afternoon yippie! And we will do dollar store secret buddies another day...
And maybe haircuts one afternoon and they can watch something special... Not all that exciting.

That's all I have right now.

Maryann

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 9:49 am
cozyblanket wrote:
Yes

I think thy do that because the kids just chanukah vacation so it makes sense to wait a little before another vacation but yes very annoying!

lfab

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 10:01 am
Yes! And my poor kids are begging me to take time off and do stuff work them, but I can't Sad . And to make matters worse, since they are still pretty young, when they get back to school they usually have a writing assignment to write what they did over vacation. My daughter, nearly 8, said to me the other day that it wasn't faire cuz when she comes back she's going to have nothing to write only that she stayed home all day with a babysitter and was bored Sad . I'll try to do a small day trip with them on Sunday (maybe bowling or something short). I feel bad but what am I supposed to do? I bought some craft stuff for them but I guess while it keeps them busy is not anything special to wrute about. I just wished teachers used a little more common sense and realized that not everyone gets to do stuff over vacation and don't make it worse by making them write about their pathetic boring vacation.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 10:06 am
Who watches your kids when they have off and you need to work?

For various reasons I cant take off 2 days of my kids vacation. I need someone to watch them and can't seem to find anyone. Some kids can stay home as long as I send my youngest out. My kids have off after yeshiva week, so there are no programs running as far as I know.

lfab

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
Who watches your kids when they have off and you need to work?

For various reasons I cant take off 2 days of my kids vacation. I need someone to watch them and can't seem to find anyone. Some kids can stay home as long as I send my youngest out. My kids have off after yeshiva week, so there are no programs running as far as I know.

B"h my husband is off for a few of the days since he works in a local yeshiva for the other days we cobbled together babysitting using highschool/colege girls in the area. The winter camp programs are insanly expens I ve once you have to pay for multiple kids. Plus they don't have for really little kids so I'd need to hire someone for my baby anyway. Once I'm finding and paying a sittee it makes more sense to pay her a bit more and just have her watch all of them rather then send some to wonter camp. Every year it's a big headache teying to make arrangements. Especially since many of the highschools girls either don't want to commit too far in advance or don't want to come early. I offer very nice paybin order to get people. But still worth it so I don't need to miss work.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 12:26 pm
Yes. We have a fun family getaway in December and again in the summer. So the kids are yotzei.

Practically, I work from home that week til around 2, then again in the evening, and we go on fun trips in the late afternoon. I try to plan easy, yummy meals and snacks the week before so that everything is more or less organized. Netflix and Mostly Music videos and crafts for while I work.

I sit the kids down in advance and have a talk about scheduling, so they know what to expect.

DH works in a CPA firm so we are pretty much never going to get away for the kids break, unless I take all the kids by myself. shock

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 2:58 pm
I also try to schedule professional pictures for the kids one afternoon.

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 3:31 pm
It is also frustrating because the schools give time off at different times. The kids are never off at the same time.

Shoshana37

Post Fri, Jan 19 2018, 3:50 pm
I took off Monday-Wednesday this year. Not going away anywhere can’t afford it, I hope we can do something fun together haven’t planned anything yet
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics