Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Parnassa needs vs. Career integrity

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 7:36 pm
Synopsis:

I am an licensed psychotherapist with a PhD as well (9 yrs clinical experience./ 2 yrs post-doc).

Got pregnant start of 4 year PhD program, then again at the end (finished program @ 3rd year BH 2 adjust 2 motherhood/focus on 2 babies). Husband has been making $32k for past 6 yrs (also psychotherapist) so we have been on welfare since I was in school.

After youngest baby turned 6 months, I decided to try to go working again. For 2 years now.... no luck beyond contract work or positions that offer $10k less than market (like upper $40s 😐)... 4 a PhD.... nearly 10 yrs experience.... u offer $48k.... COME ON!

Anyway, now my husband wants to go per diem ($26/ client session 😐) but it is to focus in learning so... BH. Pregnant with 3rd child.... no family, no baby sitter, only us (I do what I can in AM & he in afteenoon/evenings)

Ok so question is:
Would you scramble to desperately work below your education/experience level tp make ends meet.... esp long hours and tiring work while pregnant?

Also note, trying to make aliyah in a few months so comitting to owning a business here/forcing husband to scramble for another job is not practical and not good 4 Torah.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
Synopsis:

I am an licensed psychotherapist with a PhD as well (9 yrs clinical experience./ 2 yrs post-doc).

Got pregnant start of 4 year PhD program, then again at the end (finished program @ 3rd year BH 2 adjust 2 motherhood/focus on 2 babies). Husband has been making $32k for past 6 yrs (also psychotherapist) so we have been on welfare since I was in school.

After youngest baby turned 6 months, I decided to try to go working again. For 2 years now.... no luck beyond contract work or positions that offer $10k less than market (like upper $40s 😐)... 4 a PhD.... nearly 10 yrs experience.... u offer $48k.... COME ON!

Anyway, now my husband wants to go per diem ($26/ client session 😐) but it is to focus in learning so... BH. Pregnant with 3rd child.... no family, no baby sitter, only us (I do what I can in AM & he in afteenoon/evenings)

Ok so question is:
Would you scramble to desperately work below your education/experience level tp make ends meet.... esp long hours and tiring work while pregnant?

Also note, trying to make aliyah in a few months so comitting to owning a business here/forcing husband to scramble for another job is not practical and not good 4 Torah.

Career integrity or making sure you don't have gaps in your resume? I'd be careful about the latter.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 8:05 pm
I don’t understand your post very well . Can you afford to live as things are? If not, what are your options? Is your husband learning Torah or working or both?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 8:14 pm
Resume is fine as I still have referals 4 contract work as a medical SW. But that is finicky (as would officially running own business).

Husband would basically work part time. Amp up helping to homeschool kids & learn. Essentially sounds like good practice for E"Y. But rent is due in 2 weeks sooooo. Starting 2 panic. I got the $48k offer today after essentially showing how desperate I am in all 3 interview rounds.

And once the offer was made, I rushed 2 accept. Then inquired if salary was final so the execs said "We know you are looking for a higher salary. We will hold the offer 4 2 weeks and you come back if you do not find another job." It is like a mind game! And now Idk how we will pay rent... basically I would be crawling back like a sad puppy in a few weeks 😨

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 8:48 pm
Take the job

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 8:58 pm
I would also say take the job, but keep looking for a new/better job. This may sound disloyal, and as an employer/hirer I would be reluctant to hire on that basis, but it is truly unfortunate that this prospective employer would underpay so blatantly for your skill set and take advantage of your situation.

The other side of that coin is he is going in knowing (or at least he should) that with enough time, you can get a better job and your heart, mind and one foot will be out the door the day you start. That is sad for the employer, but he is bringing it upon himself.

If/When you do get that better job, and/or make aliyah, there will be no question about why you left that would be concerning to a future employer reviewing your resume. This way, you ensure a specific salary that you can count on, build whatever longevity you can, and have a platform from which to comfortably launch yourself into the next opportunity while maintaining some financial stability and peace of mind.

Good luck!

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 9:10 pm
Are you a social worker with a Phd or are you a Clinical Psychologist? What is the relevance of your Phd to your clinical work?

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 10:31 pm
If you are making Aliyah in a few months take the job! You don’t have time to look around

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 11:03 pm
Clinical social worker (LCSW) & PhD (Social Welfare). Relevance would be grants ($$$$) 4 programs & up to date research in intervention models. My research is focused on translational practice (science effectively translated to clinical practice , not just laborious/redundant journal articles).

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
Clinical social worker (LCSW) & PhD (Social Welfare). Relevance would be grants ($$$$) 4 programs & up to date research in intervention models. My research is focused on translational practice (science effectively translated to clinical practice , not just laborious/redundant journal articles).

Got it thanks.

So lets try it this way - you are making aliyah in a few months - why would you want to ruin your professional reputation by taking a job suitable to your credentials that you are going to pick up and and leave.. it will be obvious to your employer once you announce your departure that you must have had some inkling that your commitment to the new job was fleeting.

Find a contract - even if its not the right pay. Leave for Israel when contract is over.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 11:28 pm
Good point @emerald. I guess panicking to pay bills. Need 2 build emunah as this seems more common there. I.e. in avrech world where many times...who knows how bills get paid? HaShem that's who lol. BH 4 such nissayonim.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 5:45 pm
Unfortunately, compared to the years of schooling for a social work work degree and the expense of the education, social workers are grossly and embarrassingly underpaid. I’m thinking about leaving the field entirely for this exact reason.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 5:53 pm
amother wrote:
Unfortunately, compared to the years of schooling for a social work work degree and the expense of the education, social workers are grossly and embarrassingly underpaid. I’m thinking about leaving the field entirely for this exact reason.

Where does all of the money that I pay for my therapy sessions go?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
Where does all of the money that I pay for my therapy sessions go?

One must take into account that the therapist can go months without any client referals, insurance reimbursement is very low and takes months, all the while there is no guarantee that your current clients will be long standing. There is office rent/admin costs, billing...I could go on. It is not so simple.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics