Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is it ok to listen to this type of music?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 4:49 am
I have quite eccentric taste in music and I like a really diverse range of musicians and styles etc, like soul, classical, pop etc. I love music a lot. Occasionally I like to listen to hymns, which sometimes have a Christian wording but I find the music beautiful. They are relaxing before I go to sleep and I just like the melody of them.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 7:31 am
If you have to ask, I think you know the answer...

zigi

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 9:57 am
There are some songs that sound similar but are not Christian

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 10:14 am
I totally get the eclectic taste. Mine is very much out of the box myself.
I wouldn't go to sleep to this. If possible, I'd try to listen to that as little as possible. I don't know what you might have lined up to fill the void as it seem to fill a genuine need. Hatzlacha!

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 2:02 pm
The correct answer to this question is probably AYLOR but I just wanted to add my 2¢.

I think a lot of this depends on who you are and in what direction you are moving. I am BT and grew up in a very xtian environment singing all that music. ( A lot of it comes from pure Jewish sources (such as Tehilim), and a lot comes from very corrupted Jewish sources, such as the part of the mass that starts "holy holy holy" which they "nicked" from Kedusha.). I think that is very different scenario from a person who grew up in Bais Yaakov and is exploring new things.

Not giving a psak but if you're trying to kick a habit and don't want to go cold turkey, I would personally recommend begin by limiting yourself to music with "kosher" words, such as the many versions you can find if you Google"Psalm 23".

But even better would be to get yourself into Jewish composers who wrote in a similar style, such as Salamon Rossi. Google him, there is plenty to listen to which is very similar style to what you are after (and probably predates it, Rossi was slightly pre-baroque technically speaking).

Here is a version of his Adon Olam to get you started

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmUEOpC6QA

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 4:26 pm
I wouldn't listen to sooth myself to sleep. OTOH I would listen to learn something. Once I got the knowledge-that's all folks.

When I was in college, Gregorian Chants were popular. I listen and learned what it is and moved on.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 4:32 pm
I can't tell you what to listen to. None of us can, because we do not pasken haskkafa for you.

My very chassish DH happens to love the Vienna Boys Choir. Why? I have no idea. I get that it's really beautiful. I wouldn't go out of my way to hear it, but I wouldn't run screaming out of the room either.

There are some lovely Xian hymns based on Psalms, and those all seem very kosher (at least IMO). Avoid the JC hymns, and according to Rebbetzin F. Frummie you should be fine.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 4:45 pm
I am a giyoret who grew up Christian, so certain songs have deep emotional connections for me that have to do wih my childhood. Sometimes, I find it necessary to listen just like eating a comfort food your mother made. But I don't do it regularly, and try to stick to songs that don't go against Judaism (no mention of JC, or any reference to this portion of Xianity.)

If I were you, however, I would try to find instrumental arrangements and avoid the words altogether.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 6:01 pm
Yes, I didn't grow up in a religious family so I sort of remember them from school. If the melody mentions Christian themes I wouldn't listen to them even though I have watched programmes about other religions for my own learning. Some of them are neutral for example "all things bright and beautiful". It's definitely not an addiction, I tend to listen to all kinds of music at different times depending on my mood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics