Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need a bit of advice

greeneyes

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 1:05 pm
I'm having a little dilemma, and I need some advice. Confused
Last year (in those pre-baby days) I had a tutoring job, and they just called me asking if I'd like to continue. On the one hand, we could really use the extra cash, but on the other hand, with my 2 month old little princess I don't know how practical it would be. I'm concerned that the baby will end up screaming the whole time and wanting to be held or fed or whatever. But then again, maybe if I make sure to feed her before, it shouldn't really be a problem??? I am not experienced and I don't know!! What do you think?

Another little issue... last year they were paying me $20 an hour, and I want to raise my price to $25. I'm afraid though! Is this reasonable? We're talking about 9th grade math, btw. I know there are people out there who charge much more so I think I am being reasonable....

Would love some input. Smile

Lani22

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 1:09 pm
I think your price increase is totally reasonable....

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 1:27 pm
You would have the baby with you, I take it? Would you be tutoring a boy or girl? Would it be appropriate to nurse if necessary while you tutor? I think it depends a lot on your student. If I had a female student from a large family who was comfortable with a lot of babies around-- including in her tutor's lap (!!)-- I think it would be fine. On the other hand, if I was going to Manhattan to tutor a a boy who isn't religious, I might think differently...

If you go ahead and do it, I would plan to add a few extra minutes onto each session pro bono given that there might be a few baby-related distractions during the session. And about the pay increase, normally I'd think it would be fine, but since you will also be taking care of your baby, isn't it kind of as if you're offering less while you're asking for more money?? One final thought: I know 2 months is a little youg, but soon you might be able to schedule the tutoring at a time you know (or suspect!) the baby will be sleeping... Just my two cents. Good luck!

chen

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 1:59 pm
another possibility is to hire a teen to babysit while you tutor. you'd still be making some money and wouldn't have to worry about the baby. schedule a nursing session just before tutoring if you can and it should be fine.

If you're going to be taking care of your baby while tutoring it would be unfair to increase your rates, as your tutee would not be getting your full attention.

newmom

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 2:28 pm
Do it in the evenings or Sunday when your husband is home and feed the baby b4 you start. $25 is reasonable for 9th grade math- many people charge more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics