Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Reading the dictionary

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:54 pm
DD19 picked up a dictionary and began to ask, ''ma, do you know what this word mean?''
Save for a few words I knew what most meant.
She was surprised.
I had to remind her I'm more than double her age so I've had that many more years of exposure to language...

But the real deal is that when I was a kid I used to sit on the toilet with a dictionary in my hand. I know. Who does that today's days?

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:55 pm
I only read it for the words..

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:17 pm
I used to love reading the dictionary. I asked my parents for a huge one for my birthday when I was a teenager. I also studied Latin and loved knowing where words came from.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:44 pm
In junior high we had to have dictionaries for English class, and I would often read it in my lap when I was bored or if I finished my work.

I LOVE words!

sunshine5

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:53 pm
Reminds me of a story I heard where a 3rd grade teacher asked the girls to look up a word in the dictionary and write a sentence.. So this girl writes ' the fireman went up the ladder amd came down pregnant'.... Pregnant defenition 'carrying a baby'!!!
Kidding aside I also used to like to read the dictionary and I find that it really shaped my vocabulary.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 5:04 am
my son (5 years old) picked up the dictionary a few months ago and the first word that he found was 'airplane'. since he is a HUGE fan of airplanes the dictionary became his favorite book Smile

he now sits down and flips through the pages reads short and long words for fun...

sometimes he asks: imale whats a 'dermatologist'...or what does 'hologram' mean???

its funny cos I have an ethymological dictionary lying in our bathroom...and LOVE IT!!!

salt

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 5:28 am
Not exactly a dictionary, but my DS did read a kid's encyclopedia pretty much from A-Z at one stage.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:35 am
salt wrote:
Not exactly a dictionary, but my DS did read a kid's encyclopedia pretty much from A-Z at one stage.

Your last name isn't Jacobs, is it? Wink
(Google A. J. Jacobs.)

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:45 am
In grade school, my best friends were the dictionary, the encyclopedias, and the thesaurus.

I love fancy words. Some of them are so much fun to say, like "veritable quandry."

I was interviewing a roommate once, and she asked me if I had entophobia. I said "No, I have etophobia - the fear of knowing the origin of words." She's a clinical entomologist (studies parasites). She loved both my use of words and my sense of humor, and we made great roomies.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 8:14 am
Some of my kids kept a dictionary on their night table and would read it from time to time. I do that too sometimes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics